Remove this Banner Ad

We would be a pretty average team without our three 2015 recruits. When Danger is tagged no one bar Selwood seems to step up. Guthrie was brilliant against the Crows but seems to be a bit flat as of late.

Blicavs has gone backwards from last year, Duncan hasn't found the same level of hunger since the Sydney loss last year where his form was brilliant before going off injured. Caddy was building, albeit slowly before getting injured. Motlop has been at his frustrating best.

Surely we can't be expecting Scooter and Menegola to step in and fix our midfield woes? Have our mids relaxed mentally as a result of Danger's presence? Is this why Adelaide is now enjoying a more even contribution from their midfield group as a result of not being reliant on a dominant saviour?

We would be a pretty average team without our three 2015 recruits. When Danger is tagged no one bar Selwood seems to step up. Guthrie was brilliant against the Crows but seems to be a bit flat as of late.

Blicavs has gone backwards from last year, Duncan hasn't found the same level of hunger since the Sydney loss last year where his form was brilliant before going off injured. Caddy was building, albeit slowly before getting injured. Motlop has been at his frustrating best.

Surely we can't be expecting Scooter and Menegola to step in and fix our midfield woes? Have our mids relaxed mentally as a result of Danger's presence? Is this why Adelaide is now enjoying a more even contribution from their midfield group as a result of not being reliant on a dominant saviour?

That's a good point. They were all riding the wave early doors and now think, that's ok, Paddy and Joel will get it done.

I'm not saying they're doing it intentional but the mind is a strange and powerful thing. Myself and others have posted in threads that Duncan seems to have been the only one that appeared a bit lost with Danger in the side. One I got howled down for was Harry's drop off in form since signing his long term contract. Again, I'm not saying he's doing anything deliberately, but with a young family, having your financial future well secured for a number of years it may just make you feel pretty comfortable and relaxed. Cloke is another one, although he really fell away, once he got pen to paper on a long term deal.

I don't believe Chris Scott can get the most out of players.
You can look at what has happened to players who were with us and stagnated/went backwards, and what they are doing now/did.
Mitch Brown, like him or hate him, there is no denying he is an improved player. May not get much further, may not be in our best 22 but it's a moot point because his development has progressed in the right direction.
Jonathan Simpkin, Joel Hamling, Travis Varcoe and even Jarrad Jansen did, have improved at new clubs. Now for guys like Jansen and Hamling, it's been more about the opportunities, something they did not get under Scott.

There are also players who showed a lot of promise with Geelong but either went backwards at other clubs, or have stagnated and I think Trent West, Josh Walker and Allen Christensen are examples of this.

What we currently have on our hands with guys like Caddy, Motlop, Murdoch or even Horlin-Smith is the issue. Can the coach bring these players upto speed again. If he manages that, like Bomber Thompson did with Johnson, Bartel, Ablett, Lonergan whose football appeared to be leveling out before they became consistent behemoths week in and week out, that will get Geelong another premiership.

Unfortunately, only very few coaches have that intangible which differentiates the great coaches from the rest.

Don't disagree with your post, but to the bolded, I'd suggest that the players are equally, if not more so, guilty of failing to get the best out of themselves on a consistent basis.

I don't believe Chris Scott can get the most out of players.
You can look at what has happened to players who were with us and stagnated/went backwards, and what they are doing now/did.
Mitch Brown, like him or hate him, there is no denying he is an improved player. May not get much further, may not be in our best 22 but it's a moot point because his development has progressed in the right direction.
Jonathan Simpkin, Joel Hamling, Travis Varcoe and even Jarrad Jansen did, have improved at new clubs. Now for guys like Jansen and Hamling, it's been more about the opportunities, something they did not get under Scott.

There are also players who showed a lot of promise with Geelong but either went backwards at other clubs, or have stagnated and I think Trent West, Josh Walker and Allen Christensen are examples of this.

What we currently have on our hands with guys like Caddy, Motlop, Murdoch or even Horlin-Smith is the issue. Can the coach bring these players upto speed again. If he manages that, like Bomber Thompson did with Johnson, Bartel, Ablett, Lonergan whose football appeared to be leveling out before they became consistent behemoths week in and week out, that will get Geelong another premiership.

Unfortunately, only very few coaches have that intangible which differentiates the great coaches from the rest.
Hmmm interesting.

On Brown you say he may not be in our best 22. Personally I'd say definitely so he's probably improved mostly out of gaining opportunities. Also you have to give him some credit also given he went back to VFL as an uncontracted player, which at his age, mid twenties, is usually the death knell but got himself back on an AFL list.

Never got into the Jansen 200 games stuff as outrageous as I feel it may be but I still stand by my only comments on the matter. He didn't deserve games last year. He sought greener pastures, best of luck to him.

That's a good point. They were all riding the wave early doors and now think, that's ok, Paddy and Joel will get it done.

I'm not saying they're doing it intentional but the mind is a strange and powerful thing. Myself and others have posted in threads that Duncan seems to have been the only one that appeared a bit lost with Danger in the side. One I got howled down for was Harry's drop off in form since signing his long term contract. Again, I'm not saying he's doing anything deliberately, but with a young family, having your financial future well secured for a number of years it may just make you feel pretty comfortable and relaxed. Cloke is another one, although he really fell away, once he got pen to paper on a long term deal.
I don't buy into the notion that players get comfortable after signing a contract and therefore their form drops off. There may be some correlation between the two, but for a player's form to drop there's often more than one factor.

Perhaps at training a comfortable player might not do everything that a player desperately pushing to crack into the best 22 would do. I'd like to think that when any player crosses the white line they are totally focused on playing their role for the team with extraneous personal issues not forming any part of the equation determining their form.

I think with Mitch it's a case of his role having changed with the dynamic of the midfield having also changed with the arrival lf Dangerfield, as well as a competent ruckman. Last year Mitch was expected to step up and help Joel with inside/contested ball winning. Mitch was actually developing that side of his game out of necessity.

Dangerfield's presence immediately changes Mitch's game more than any other Geelong mid. We all know Mitch's strength is his outside ball using his elite foot skills. In an ideal world Mitch would get great feed all the time and would therefore be an elite damaging mid on a regular basis.

Where I think Mitch struggles is transitioning himself mentally from his natural game of predominantly outside player, to immediately filling the gap of inside contested bull when the chips are down. Danger is only human, he cannot do it all himself, but when he's down it'd be nice to see some do another Guthrie and fill the void.

yes I understand this but I'm using Jansen as an example of a player who is getting games and showing improvement because of the opportunities.
For all we know, Luxford could get traded at the end of the year after playing one game and become a future 150 gamer for a team like Carlton and that's an improvement under a new system.
Does he deserve a game at present? Not sure he does.

Adelaide seem to be to be better coached and their mids are running harder both ways,nothing to do with danger.they would be an even better team with him in there.

Adelaide seem to be to be better coached and their mids are running harder both ways,nothing to do with danger.they would be an even better team with him in there.
Don Pyke is doing a fantastic job. Danger makes 18 sides better if he was included in any of them. The Crows are playing better as a team than any other time in recent memory. I hope you haven't gleaned from my posts that I think Adelaide is a better side without Dangerfield, because I certainly don't believe that.

Don Pyke is doing a fantastic job. Danger makes 18 sides better if he was included in any of them. The Crows are playing better as a team than any other time in recent memory. I hope you haven't gleaned from my posts that I think Adelaide is be a better side without Dangerfield, because I certainly don't believe that.

Nah i didnt i was just more lollling at all the crows fans who have been trying to mount that argument.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

maybe not but I know for sure Murdoch, Motlop are two who don't deserve a game at the moment but continue to do so.
We have a lot of guys struggling. Lang, Gregson are two others, two I'm not worried about given their age, but it's times like this we should be rewarding VFL players because this is not the first time guys have been worthy of a game or two but never received it and we carried a few blokes ahead of them.

It's an issue. A trend if you will.
ask yourself where I stand on Mots and Murdoch? One I've been with you for most of the year about being out of the side. The other I created a roast thread for him. Fair to say we're on the same wavelength there.

Not concerned for Gregson/Lang/McCarthy, simply playing as that sort of small forward role in our side is harder than it should be, constantly congested forward line and as I showed a few weeks back a high proportion of shots from 40m+ or from the pocket type of angle. Not the easiest game plan for raw smalls to become consistent good players. Just need to be patient with them I guess.

maybe not but I know for sure Murdoch, Motlop are two who don't deserve a game at the moment but continue to do so.
We have a lot of guys struggling. Lang, Gregson are two others, two I'm not worried about given their age, but it's times like this we should be rewarding VFL players because this is not the first time guys have been worthy of a game or two but never received it and we carried a few blokes ahead of them.

It's an issue. A trend if you will.

I'm not arguing your point per se, but who exactly who are ready to step up and give it a shot if you take all 4 of those out....or even two? They are all players with pace, and as some have said we are a bit slow...Lang was awful against Sydney..Motlop was better than Lang but really way down..Murdoch was average and I don't think Gregson ripped it up in the 2's....Scooter isn't ready...Menegola? Is he an answer?

Its all very well for you and me to point out the players who are not playing well, but I'm not sure of the options, and we are not home and hosed for a finals place yet, so the MC have to put faith in the players that got us to this point in the first place, even tho their output is pretty shit right now.

The players have to take a good look at themselves and turn it around. If they're good enough they can do it.

I'm not arguing your point per se, but who exactly who are ready to step up and give it a shot if you take all 4 of those out....or even two? They are all players with pace, and as some have said we are a bit slow...Lang was awful against Sydney..Motlop was better than Lang but really way down..Murdoch was average and I don't think Gregson ripped it up in the 2's....Scooter isn't ready...Menegola? Is he an answer?

Its all very well for you and me to point out the players who are not playing well, but I'm not sure of the options, and we are not home and hosed for a finals place yet, so the MC have to put faith in the players that got us to this point in the first place, even tho their output is pretty shit right now.

The players have to take a good look at themselves and turn it around. If they're good enough they can do it.
Not sure this all the players fault- they have won games this year. Do they select the team- do they construct the game plan, do they make changes on the day, do they decide who is on and off and for how long? Last weeks game saw two players back in who had not played footy for some time back and two had been playing and got into the style dropped-Out Stanley and Kersten and in Clarke and Cockatoo. One not played at that level for twelve months one for several weeks.
Was it warranted , on the result no. And as for Duncan he could be an elite, but has been cast aside from his regular game, which has had for 4/5 years for, Dangerfield. has he been coached for that, provide additional training/education support. don't know the answer but if not then has a reason to feel a bit pout out.

Not sure this all the players fault- they have won games this year. Do they select the team- do they construct the game plan, do they make changes on the day, do they decide who is on and off and for how long? Last weeks game saw two players back in who had not played footy for some time back and two had been playing and got into the style dropped-Out Stanley and Kersten and in Clarke and Cockatoo. One not played at that level for twelve months one for several weeks.
Was it warranted , on the result no. And as for Duncan he could be an elite, but has been cast aside from his regular game, which has had for 4/5 years for, Dangerfield. has he been coached for that, provide additional training/education support. don't know the answer but if not then has a reason to feel a bit pout out.

Duncan put out? Seriously? If so speaks highly of his lack of leadership abilities.

He needs to lift his game, as so far he's lacking the effectiveness of his disposals. Being part of the second tier he's part of the issues we have.

Everyone who's talking up the crows, I think we can all remember what a great job Sando did in his first season coaching adelaide & even the same can be said about Hinkley during his first year for port adelaide, Seem's to be a bit of an overreaction at this point of time.

Everyone who's talking up the crows, I think we can all remember what a great job Sando did in his first season coaching adelaide & even the same can be said about Hinkley during his first year for port adelaide, Seem's to be a bit of an overreaction at this point of time.

Had a nice soft run since they lost to us.

Round 9 - Beat up on a depleted Gold Coast away.

Round 10 - Good win against the Giants at home but did let them finish with a head of steam in the last quarter.

Round 11 - Thrashed a St Kilda side at home that becomes a rabble soon as they step on a plane.

Round 12 - Beat West Coast away, running over the top of them. The pick of their wins, but big question marks over just how good WC are.

Round 14 - Fresh off the bye to beat a tired North Melbourne side at home who were coming off consecutive 6-day breaks.

Round 15 - Made to work very hard against a plucky Melbourne side at the G.

Round 16 - Beat a young Carlton side away easily, but it was hardly impressive.

Had a nice soft run since they lost to us.

Round 9 - Beat up on a depleted Gold Coast away.

Round 10 - Good win against the Giants at home but did let them finish with a head of steam in the last quarter.

Round 11 - Thrashed a St Kilda side at home that becomes a rabble soon as they step on a plane.

Round 12 - Beat West Coast away, running over the top of them. The pick of their wins, but big question marks over just how good WC are.

Round 14 - Fresh off the bye to beat a tired North Melbourne side at home who were coming off consecutive 6-day breaks.

Round 15 - Made to work very hard against a plucky Melbourne side at the G.

Round 16 - Beat a young Carlton side away easily, but it was hardly impressive.

Shorter version: Adelaide are travelling a lot better than us.

Without danger we'd be sitting where pies/power/saints are.
So, we got rid of SJ, Jelly, then got in Smith ( a revelation), Henderson (having a great season), bought back Menzel who is ticking all the boxes - and the best you reckon we could do this year (without Danger) is finishing about 3 places lower than we did last year when we had no rucks for most of the season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Sir Patrick F Dangerfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Back