Injury SJOGHCIU - Offseason Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

If we finish the game with 17 players, we put our “fit” players at risk of injury. Ginbey had been playing, 80 odd minutes, and he played 100+ in this game. Players are conditioned to have a certain workload, injuries happen, playing with 18, even with two injured saved potentially further injuries
You think there is more risk from playing with 17 players instead of 18 than there is of turning a severe injury into something catastrophic by sending out a player with a ruptured hamstring tendon?

By that logic should we have sent Cripps back out there with his broken ankle aswell and sent Witherden back out even if he didn't know what month it is after his concussion? I mean why take any player off at all when injured since you are putting all the other non - injured players at dire risk by doing so?

You think there is more risk from playing with 17 players instead of 18 than there is of turning a severe injury into something catastrophic by sending out a player with a ruptured hamstring tendon?

By that logic should we have sent Cripps back out there with his broken ankle aswell and sent Witherden back out even if he didn't know what month it is after his concussion? I mean why take any player off at all when injured since you are putting all the other non - injured players at dire risk by doing so?

They had no ****ing idea Ryan had a torn hamstring tendon. At the ground the medical staff can only do basic testing and go off how the player responds to that both physically and verbally. Ryan had also just landed on his upper back and almost certainly had pain stemming down from there clouding any other potential injuries.

Let me get this straight:

Liam Ryan requires hamstring surgery, was checked by our medical team during the game, and was sent back out on the field this weekend

Chesser has a knee issue that will result in a month (at least) on the sidelines, was checked out by our medical team during the game, and was sent back out on the field this weekend

McGovern had a "test" on his hamstring by our medical team and was judged fit to play......and now requires surgery and may potentially miss the rest of the season

And there are still folks on this board who think we have a good medical team? Seriously, this is so bad it's somewhere between incompetence and negligence

They had no ******* idea Ryan had a torn hamstring tendon. At the ground the medical staff can only do basic testing and go off how the player responds to that both physically and verbally. Ryan had also just landed on his upper back and almost certainly had pain stemming down from there clouding any other potential injuries.

If someone, at this level, cannot deduce a severe hamstring tear, they need to immediately resign

A hamstring that requires surgery will be so obvious, from a medical standpoint, its not even defensible

You’d think there is more risk from playing with 17 players instead of 18……Agree to disagree, mainly because I’m willing to trust the decisions made by our medical and S&C staff who
  1. have degrees in their chosen fields
  2. thousands of hours and research and practice in working in elite sporting environments
  3. a duty of care to the players welfare above all else
Rather than trying to second guess the risk and malpractice of a medical professional to put an injured player back out on the field…….

That’s not what that says?
Apologies, didn’t include the full Twitter thread. Reading what Paplia says was told to him and Schofield by Edwards that because he wasn’t back to full minutes that I assumed this meant he was maybe ruling himself out.
We all know what assuming does and looks like I have only made an ass of me😀

They had no ******* idea Ryan had a torn hamstring tendon. At the ground the medical staff can only do basic testing and go off how the player responds to that both physically and verbally. Ryan had also just landed on his upper back and almost certainly had pain stemming down from there clouding any other potential injuries.
I would like to think that if somebody has damaged a hamstring tendon that the Doctors at the club are capable and thorough enough with their testing of the player and the injured part of his body to, even if not diagnose exactly what the extent and nature of the damage is on the spot, to at least know it is pretty significant and that (at best) they can't possibly know if the player is at risk of making it worse if he goes back on. They were playing Russian Roulette by sending him back on. Just hoping rather than knowing that there wasn't the possibility of making it worse.

You’d think there is more risk from playing with 17 players instead of 18……Agree to disagree, mainly because I’m willing to trust the decisions made by our medical and S&C staff who
  1. have degrees in their chosen fields
  2. thousands of hours and research and practice in working in elite sporting environments
  3. a duty of care to the players welfare above all else
Rather than trying to second guess the risk and malpractice of a medical professional to put an injured player back out on the field…….
The name for that is the Appeal to Authority Fallacy. It is the logical fallacy of saying that a claim is true simply because a person in authority said it or that a decision is correct and unchallengable simply because a person in authority made it. Same fallacy the government used to control all the sheep during Covid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hai gaiz 🙋🏼‍♂️

Just here to do a quick recap.

If everyone could refrain from screeching about sacking the medicos, as well as the equally annoying rebuttle of how they were "Collision Injuries" and nothing the medicos could do etc etc...

Our injury prone first round draft pick is, you guessed it, injured ✅

The controversial decision to re-sign all our oldies in the offseason has resulted unsurprisingly in.. Collision injury or not...

Naitanui dead (Didn't even make it through pre season) ✅
Yeo still dead (Didn't even make it through pre season) :whitecheck:
Cripps dead ✅
Shuey dead ✅
McGovern dead ✅

^ Yikes. Bit of salary cap in that lot.

Topping this we have a player now supposedly requiring surgery, who went back on to finish a game we were already very unlikely to win? ✅

This reminds me of a little known film called 2022. Time to fold it. Good and proper this time.

The name for that is the Appeal to Authority Fallacy. It is the logical fallacy of saying that a claim is true simply because a person in authority said it or that a decision is correct and unchallengable simply because a person in authority made it. Same fallacy the government used to control all the sheep during Covid.
The term for thinking one is better or knows better than others is called “superiority complex"
Let’s not open a can of worms…..

Hanging out for the selection day surprise injury announcement.
Bored Daily Show GIF by CTV Comedy Channel

They'd surely make the interpretation that as long as you don't have more than 6 in any of the areas it's not a free kick in the case of a team going down a man

Then again it's the AFL...
We gave away a free for 666, which I assume was because we were one down.

Honestly speaking these injuries are soul sucking and shouldn't be happening but silver lining is that we rather have these issues while we are cellar dwellers rather than when we have a squad to contend

The way our medical team handles injuries is a disgrace.

Ryan pulled a hammy requiring surgery and they still put him out to play the rest of the game.

Way we are going we going have players sueing us soon for playing them injuried.

I don't care if we have 17 players on the field. If Ryan was seriously hurt. Get him OFF
It was ryan who was pushing to go back on the field who wasn't reporting that much pain. Christ they thought it was just a bruising issue yesterday morning. Could of just looked like a corkie to the medics and probably only went in for scans just to be sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury SJOGHCIU - Offseason Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back