Injury SJOGHCIU - Offseason Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

You still must take ownership for having injury prone players on your list, despite them being collision injuries.

It's a contact sport. All clubs, all players get smashed into. But when you've got a collection of 30+ yr olds (which are generally more worn than others in the league given the amount of travel they've had to do being WA based) it's a bit of shooting yourself in the foot.

Gov, Shuey, Naitanui and Yeo were all injured frequently in 2022, yet here they all are again a year later. That's alarm bells. I don't really call that "unlucky" myself. Likewise Chesser. You drafted that bloke knowing full well how injury prone he was and the lack of footy he's played. Can't cry about it when it happens :shrug:

Cripps injury is unlucky. Witherden is unlucky. Even Ryan. The others, not so.

So Liam Ryan played a half of game after his injury and now has a worse hamstring than McGovern's? There's no bottom to the madness.

Hang on, was it ever actually confirmed that Gov was undergoing a fitness test on his hamstring before the game?

Pretty sure it was just “leg”. So yes, it could’ve been a hammy that was being tested, but it could also have been his ankle, foot, quad, knee, adductor, etc.

Also given the supposed fitness test was only reported on by one journo, and Gov’s comments today about feeling fine going into the game I’m not sure we should assume that it was our medical team’s fault for him injuring his hamstring, if this fitness test even happened at all.

Hang on, was it ever actually confirmed that Gov was undergoing a fitness test on his hamstring before the game?

Pretty sure it was just “leg”. So yes, it could’ve been a hammy that was being tested, but it could also have been his ankle, foot, quad, knee, adductor, etc.

Also given the supposed fitness test was only reported on by one journo, and Gov’s comments today about feeling fine going into the game I’m not sure we should assume that it was our medical team’s fault for him injuring his hamstring, if this fitness test even happened at all.

Please don’t dare bring any commonsense or calm, rational logic into this.

Gov is clearly under orders by the club to cover up the medical teams incompetence. Or sorry, it is his own fault that he is injured. It is quite hard to keep up really 😂

Clearly we have the worst medical team in the history of all sports and they should all be fired, immediately. The end!

😂

You still must take ownership for having injury prone players on your list, despite them being collision injuries.

It's a contact sport. All clubs, all players get smashed into. But when you've got a collection of 30+ yr olds (which are generally more worn than others in the league given the amount of travel they've had to do being WA based) it's a bit of shooting yourself in the foot.

Gov, Shuey, Naitanui and Yeo were all injured frequently in 2022, yet here they all are again a year later. That's alarm bells. I don't really call that "unlucky" myself. Likewise Chesser. You drafted that bloke knowing full well how injury prone he was and the lack of footy he's played. Can't cry about it when it happens :shrug:

Cripps injury is unlucky. Witherden is unlucky. Even Ryan. The others, not so.
How is Cripps' injury unlucky but Chessers is not? They both had their legs trapped underneath an oppo player in a tackle. Look at the footage in the injury update most players are going to come out with some sort of injury and soreness with how badly the knee was torqued out in the chesser tackle.

How is Cripps' injury unlucky but Chessers is not? They both had their legs trapped underneath an oppo player in a tackle. Look at the footage in the injury update most players are going to come out with some sort of injury and soreness with how badly the knee was torqued out in the chesser tackle.

Cripps is over 30. He should have been thrown out on his ear along with the rest of the useless fossils 🙄

CARNAGE!!!

Official injury list (updated 4/4/23)

• Coby Burgiel Hamstring Test (down from 1 week)
• Campbell Chesser Knee TBC (New)
• Jamie Cripps Ankle TBC (New)
• Harry Edwards Ankle Test (New)
• Callum Jamieson Ankle 1-2 weeks (No change)
• Jeremy McGovern Hamstring TBC (New)
• Nic Naitanui Achilles TBC (No change)
• Liam Ryan Hamstring TBC (New)
• Luke Shuey Hamstring 2-3 weeks (New)
• Jack Williams Spleen 5-6 weeks (Down from 6-7 weeks)
• Alex Witherden Concussion Protocols 1-2 weeks (New)
• Elliot Yeo Calf Test (No change)

Other Notes

* Cripps, McGovern and Ryan are set for surgery in their respective injuries
** Rotham and Culley have both been removed from the injury list after playing last weekend
*** Jordyn Baker hasn’t played any football so far, but still hasn’t been named on any injury list.
**** Fellow Cat B rookie, Tyrell Dewar, has been reported (by the club) to have been injured on the weekend but isn’t on the injury list
Sps?

Hasn’t been mentioned by the club

Trained today

Was said to have had his hand in a cast post game but someone posted a picture earlier today with his thumb strapped in other games so there’s a good chance the cast is precautionary and part of an existing issue being managed.

Thought that was pretty straightforward there champion.

Cripps is a fairly healthy player with a long history being durable and staying on the park, particularly impressive given his age. Rarely gets injuries.

Chesser is 19 and played what... less than 10 games in the last 3, going on 4 seasons?

Is it his fault? Absolutely not. But all you have to do is look at someone like Tom Joyce (who we ironically picked up) to see what I'm saying. Is a club "unlucky" to pick up a player like Joyce, with his extensive background of injuries and have him inevitably hurt and unable to even make of through a pre season, or is that bad list management?

There was always an element of risk with Chesser, given the 2 years prior to his draft were injury/covid affected, and now since he was drafted he's had his first season wiped out completely, then backed that up with another decent chunk (at this point) of his second season as well.

So yeah, i don't see Chessers injury as unlucky. It's not exactly bucking the trend is it?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Twelve players on the injury list as it stands which doesn’t include Baker or Dewar

Season ending
- Cripps

Long term (return post R14 bye or later, so >12 weeks)
  • Naitanui
  • McGovern
  • Ryan

Medium term (4-8 weeks)
  • J Williams
  • Chesser
  • Shuey (might be less)

Short term (1-2 weeks)
  • Witherden
  • Jamieson

Test
  • Yeo
  • Burgiel
  • H Edwards

We currently have 30 fit players, potentially 33 if all 3 tests are passed fit

Unfortunately, all 4 long term injuries are clear best 22 players although of the 5 players out in the short/medium term only Shuey would be a clear starter

At 33 fit players we’re right at the tipping point where any further injuries risk compromising our WAFL team significantly

There was always an element of risk with Chesser, given the 2 years prior to his draft were injury affected, and now since he was drafted he's had his first season wiped out completely, then backed that up with another decent chunk (at this point) of his second season as well.

So yeah, i don't see Chessers injury as unlucky. It's not exactly bucking the trend is it?

Ironically, Shuey had a very injury prone start to his career, to match the back end of his career I guess, although the middle part was probably worth it hey?

Don't throw the baby out with the (medical team) bathwater just yet

On 360 last night, Simmo said there were two players likely facing 4-8 weeks out who finished the game and who he didn’t want to declare at the time. We know now that one of them is Chesser. Is there another injury that they’re being cagey about? Allen possibly?

Apparently Simmo said on 6pr that Ryan is targeting Round 17 for his return.
I Hope Please GIF

On 360 last night, Simmo said there were two players likely facing 4-8 weeks out who finished the game and who he didn’t want to declare at the time. We know now that one of them is Chesser. Is there another injury that they’re being cagey about? Allen possibly?

I’m thinking it’s Ryan and his reluctance to name him might have been due to them knowing something was wrong without knowing exactly what it was

But that’s a guess

It would be disappointing if we find out later this week there’s another player who sustained a significant injury on Sunday that the club knew about but didn’t disclose

I don't want to.overreact but there is no excuse for sending someone back out with a torn hamstring. Its not on the player, it is a readily diagnosable injury and it is a decision that can ruin someone's career. Bad hamstrings keep coming back.

If someone was stupid enough to send Ryan back out there with a torn hamstring they are terrifyingly incompetent and shouldn't be allowed near an AFL list.

Last edited:
I don't want to.overreact but there is no excuse for sending someone back out with a torn hamstring. Its not on the player, it is a readily diagnosable injury and it is a decision that can ruin someone's career. Bad hamstrings keep coming back.

If someone was stupid enough to send Ryan back out there with a torn hamstring they are terrifyingly incompetent and shouldn't be allowed near an AFL list.

I’ve never torn a hamstring so have no idea what it feels like personally but I have seen enough people do one to understand that they know they’ve done so

Ryan didn’t look like someone who knew he’d done a hamstring. He was sore no doubting that but Will Schofield said on 6PR tonight that he spoke with Ryan post game and there was no indication from him there was an issue

Now if the player is unaware that he’s hurt his hamstring and isn’t indicating any soreness to the training staff, I’m curious as to how they’re supposed to know he’d done a tendon

Granted the whole thing is weird but I’m not sure it’s explained by incompetence, especially when we have no idea what they did or didn’t know at the time

The Ryan one was weird. How often does someone tear a hamstring tendon after landing awkwardly from a marking contest? Simmo said he thought Ryan may have injured about 3 things doing that so it's very possible that Ryan may have had no idea that he had done it and directed the medicos to somewhere else (his knee maybe given they strapped that up when he went back out).

Going to miss Liam Ryan . Enjoy watching him play footy .

If it's really an AFL rule, I hope that it's investigated. Would be an absolute disgrace if true, and it needs to be changed immediately. If it happened to a Victorian club the media would already be all over it.

I’ve never torn a hamstring so have no idea what it feels like personally but I have seen enough people do one to understand that they know they’ve done so

Ryan didn’t look like someone who knew he’d done a hamstring. He was sore no doubting that but Will Schofield said on 6PR tonight that he spoke with Ryan post game and there was no indication from him there was an issue

Now if the player is unaware that he’s hurt his hamstring and isn’t indicating any soreness to the training staff, I’m curious as to how they’re supposed to know he’d done a tendon

Granted the whole thing is weird but I’m not sure it’s explained by incompetence, especially when we have no idea what they did or didn’t know at the time
Yeah it's very strange and I'm not about to hang the SC for this one. I have done hammies before, garden variety grade 2 tears. I have a reasonable pain threshold and I tell you, I couldn't walk for a couple of days, far less hobble around on a footy field immediately after.
To do a hammy tendon that requires surgery and still be able to jog around doesn't make sense to me. Staggered any one could even walk with one, so it clearly hasn't presented like a hammy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury SJOGHCIU - Offseason Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back