AFL Autopsy R20: Smashed by the Saints, and the season is cooked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our team had turned into a fumbly, bomb long into packs, hack team.
Wright can't take contested marks, rarely wins the ball, rarely gets into good positions. Why persist with him. At least Draper in FWD 50 can take contested marks there.
If Heppel can't use effective skills, and doesn't have a physical presence in DEF, then what good is he? Sure fire handicap playing him.
Martin and McKays short kicking is so awful, it's almost a given it will get coughed up.
Feels like the season is over, was a nice run while it lasted.

You seem to be under some illusion that our season is alive. I'm letting you know the players have already checked out.

I said it is still in our hands to the point that we can afford to lose another game. We may lose all four, but that isn't the point. We're not the only team to suffer a huge loss and according to your logic we would've been checked out after the Port match. Season is on a knife's edge and prone to inconsistencies.

Also said I'd be content with us finishing the year off strongly in relation to what we were coming out of in 2023 and the expectations on us going into 2024. It doesn't have to be finals, but the fact that we can afford to drop one more and still make it is an overachievement made possible through no one but the boys themselves.

If you want to have a defeatist mentality and be facetious as if you know what the players are thinking then do it on your own accord.

Our team had turned into a fumbly, bomb long into packs, hack team.
Wright can't take contested marks, rarely wins the ball, rarely gets into good positions. Why persist with him. At least Draper in FWD 50 can take contested marks there.
If Heppel can't use effective skills, and doesn't have a physical presence in DEF, then what good is he? Sure fire handicap playing him.
Martin and McKays short kicking is so awful, it's almost a given it will get coughed up.
Feels like the season is over, was a nice run while it lasted.
An we have no speedy smalls. Our plodders can't get near the fall of the ball. No run at all.

Probably the last bloke on this site to defend Hepp, but it’s Joe Biden time my friend.
1000036793.jpg

Joe Biden Shock GIF by GIPHY News

I said it is still in our hands to the point that we can afford to lose another game. We may lose all four, but that isn't the point. We're not the only team to suffer a huge loss and according to your logic we would've been checked out after the Port match. Season is on a knife's edge and prone to inconsistencies.

Also said I'd be content with us finishing the year off strongly in relation to what we were coming out of in 2023 and the expectations on us going into 2024. It doesn't have to be finals, but the fact that we can afford to drop one more and still make it is an overachievement made possible through no one but the boys themselves.

If you want to have a defeatist mentality and be facetious as if you know what the players are thinking then do it on your own accord.

According to my logic they would've been checked out after the port loss? What?

Port loss was one bad game we rebounded from.

We've lost coming in as the favorite 3 weeks running against bottom 6 sides. 1-4 over the past 5.

Completely different. Let us know when you want to check into reality with the rest of us.

Don't agree it's that simple. Season's been tighter than any in memory and Collingwood had a shit % all through 2022. It isn't an excuse. Yes I know we aren't the Pies pre-flag, the point is it isn't always a clear indicator nor should it be a barrier now or any time in the future.

The real simplicity of it is we weren't expected to be where we are and people's forthcoming unrealistic expectations as a result of that have bled it's way into the overall analysis of the team.

It's our fault as a supporter base for not being grounded (literally had people talking about Top 4 a few weeks ago, I was dumbfounded).

We as supporters need to be more self-aware about the road ahead, note the little wins and give it time.
I agree and all the talk of top 4 was absolutely out of control. But, we should definitely not be playing the tried and true battlers every ****ing week. We have wasted another year on these limited players (who we knew were limited) We need to be playing the kids. Find out who can play. The frauds we keep giving games to are not even good for structure, teaching or anything. We have wasted 20 games!! That is what I'm pissed at. Thank God we have uncovered Caldwell and Durham in 2024. But that's about it.

Why have they looked confused for the last 15 years ?
Draft dumb footballers with limited leadership and you get what we have .
Scott is just the latest in the line that can not make these pillicks understand.
I understand you've made it clear you believe he isn't having any say any more and I trust your words, but the optics of one of the main guys being responsible for this list still being a part of the club is just so bloody poor and shows weakness at the core of the organisation.

If the suggestions are true that Dodo's relationships with coiteries keep him around, then we are never getting out of this mess are we?

We'll 🤣 bounce 🤣 back 🤣

I understand you've made it clear you believe he isn't having any say any more and I trust your words, but the optics of one of the main guys being responsible for this list still being a part of the club is just so bloody poor and shows weakness at the core of the organisation.

If the suggestions are true that Dodo's relationships with coiteries keep him around, then we are never getting out of this mess are we?
Well you can hardly be lining up the coach if you do not rate the recruiting can you ?
The whole mess is why I have said this will take years and we will have to wait and see what Scott / McPherson / Vozzo / Rosa come up with and they could easily **** it up as well.
I predicted we would be roughly the same as last year. I do not rate the list . The coach ? Not sure it matters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To continue on our conversation from the game day thread, yes we know 20 plus years and so on but that is the past and has nothing to do with who is now here running the show. Judge Brad, Barham, Vozzo and Rosa on this off season and moving forward. They are not responsible for the last 24 years. I'll be dirty as you if he does not debut some kids and give some others like Bryan and A Davey another run. The season is officially shot now and even if he/we knew it a month ago, the fact the players put themselves in the top 4 for so long unfortunately meant some that need to be moved on had bought themselves more time.
Worst thing that could have happened.
I can understand that the supporters might get carried away. But I cannot understand how the coach and match committee can allow players to 'buy themselves more time'.
If true, That has been a failure of the new committee.

Surely we just play the kids now that season is done.

Hayes, Bryan, Roberts, Tsatas, Davey & El-Hawli (when ready) continue with Caddy as well.

Don't want to see, Goldstein, Heppell, Kelly, Laverde, Menzie, Stringer again. I'd be dropping Perkins as well. Draper ain't as good as people make him out to be.
Draper is trade bait. **** him off and see what we can get. He still has some trade value remarkably, but he won't for long!

Well you can hardly be lining up the coach if you do not rate the recruiting can you ?
The whole mess is why I have said this will take years and we will have to wait and see what Scott / McPherson / Vozzo / Rosa come up with and they could easily **** it up as well.
I predicted we would be roughly the same as last year. I do not rate the list . The coach ? Not sure it matters.
You are spot on; I don't rate our list either, and sorry, just realized we're basically having the same conversation in two different threads. :D I'll keep it in the coach thread.

what's the old saying about insanity - Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

feel like i'm going insane watching us be shit over the past few weeks.

Agree with others in here, we will now go winless for remainder of the season and finish bottom 4 and that’s where we belong.
But oh boy, Scott is going to be under the pump coming into year 3.
Scott and the coaching staff have much to work out, and I’m starting to doubt they can ( to be honest I’m not sure anyone can work out this club, the club is in the endless cycle of shit).

4 weeks now, surely… surely it’s time to have a look at Davey x 2, Roberts, Tsatas, Hobbs and Hayes. Please no more Heppell, Wright, Menzie, Laverde, Gresham, Perkins…

Durham really needs to be added to the leadership group, that guy just gives his all… almost like he doesn’t belong at Essendon. It’s odd.

the reason for our current plight is the same as it has been forever. Dodoro!
We just don’t have enough good players on the list. When I say good, I mean good decision makers, highly skilled, can execute under pressure, have resilience. Dodoro just drafts the wrong people and then keeps the wrong people around for too long. Most of our recent coaches have been able to get effort and pressure at times(as they should) but that only lasts so long. We get some decent wins and beat some rebuilding teams but the season is a long and average players can’t do it for a full year. And unlike good players, confidence of average players is very flimsy which leads to more and more mistakes on the field.When the going gets tough good players find a way to contribute. Our guys can’t do that because they’re not good players. I actually don’t even really blame the players because they only have the capabilities they have. I’m sure they care. They are just no good. And that is Dodoros fault. The fact the club keeps him around is one of life’s great mysteries. What, sheedy plucked him from a non footy background and liked him(for some reason) and like sheedy we end up stuck with someone who can’t do their job. Dodoro is to blame.

Why have they looked confused for the last 15 years ?
Draft dumb footballers with limited leadership and you get what we have .
Scott is just the latest in the line that can not make these pillicks understand.

Yet he is entrusting the future of the club to these same idiots who have been losers their entire careers.

Play the inexperienced kids, turf out your average players when you can.
Instead we keep handing out contracts and spots in the seniors on weekends.

If it's gonna take 10 years, do it properly.

This is our game plan.

I'm surprised that we've survived this long and never been put under the hardball microscope. Even the players that win them don't do anything it.
Could not believe that stat with the year pretty much on the line at half time. You would have hoped they come out breathing fire and going hard after everything.

That loss against Adelaide broke us I think.

cant wait for luke parker to carve us up in the next few weeks again

1722076090201.png

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy R20: Smashed by the Saints, and the season is cooked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back