Snoops 2016 List Management, Trade and Draft thoughts

Remove this Banner Ad

Motlop falls so far short of Leon its not even funny.

if you had said he was marginally better I wouldn't argue but at the same age Motlop averages more kicks, handballs, marks, goals and tackles.

even later when Leon got a heap of footy out of defence Motlop averages more kicks, handballs, marks, goals. Leon improved his tackling and beat him 2.8 to 2.3 per game.

if you had said he was marginally better I wouldn't argue but at the same age Motlop averages more kicks, handballs, marks, goals and tackles.

even later when Leon got a heap of footy out of defence Motlop averages more kicks, handballs, marks, goals. Leon improved his tackling and beat him 2.8 to 2.3 per game.
Yeah fair enough, I didn't look into the stats. Motlop just seems so hot and cold that it's hard to say he's any good. I think he's got loads of potential, but he's not done a lot.

Motlop probably plays a lot more midfield too though. I dunno, but I was a huge fan of what Leon did.

Yeah fair enough, I didn't look into the stats. Motlop just seems so hot and cold that it's hard to say he's any good. I think he's got loads of potential, but he's not done a lot.

Motlop probably plays a lot more midfield too though. I dunno, but I was a huge fan of what Leon did.

I wish leon went back earlier in his career. he might've been a club champion back there.

Saints likely looking for a 2nd rounder for Steele, makes 10 look fairly gettable...

Option A:
Witts to GC for 24
then
24 + 26 to Saints for 10+65

Option B:

St.K
In: Steele, 26
Out: 10, 65

GWS
In: 'Pies 2017 2nd
Out: Steele

'Pies
In: 10, 65
Out: 26, 2017 2nd

Some might even say "I don't know".

Others will say "banana" or words to that effect.

I think the words I used were purple monkey jungle gym. Not sure why. Just seemed to fit.

Saints likely looking for a 2nd rounder for Steele, makes 10 look fairly gettable...

Option A:
Witts to GC for 24
then
24 + 26 to Saints for 10+65

Option B:

St.K
In: Steele, 26
Out: 10, 65

GWS
In: 'Pies 2017 2nd
Out: Steele

'Pies
In: 10, 65, 24
Out: 26, 2017 2nd, Witts

Don't know where Pies 2017 second round came in but I've updated to reflect the trade with Lions.

Can we give away next years second rounder?

He is stale at Cats, needs a change.

Why would he be stale? Makes no sense at all. Cats have best season for a while and go in to Prelim as favourites.

If he is stale in those circumstances when the hell do you expect him to be fresh.

Everything about Motlop screams No for me. Fev had Xfactor, Yarran has Xfactor. It is enticing, but give me Maxwell grit over their half arsed application.

Here are the comparisons between Leon and Motlop after their first 7 seasons:
Leon: Games: 115; Kicks: 7.7: M: 2.4; HB: 2.4; CP: 4.6; Gls: 1.2; BH: 0.8; Tk: 1.7; I50s: 2.5; R50: 0.4; Gl Assist: 0.3
Stev: Games: 112; Kicks: 12.1:M:3.5; HB: 5.8; CP: 5.1; Gls: 1.4; BH: 0.8; Tk: 2.3; I50s: 3.9; R50: 1.4; Gl Assist: 0.6

Question if academy types push the picks back does it matter in reality as those picks only are taking a limited field of academy players.
So as an example we would still bid for the 25th general player anyway. Or whatever the pick number is.

I think these guys are generally already considered to be (say) top 25 picks so in a way your right, but isn't it about the club jumping up the draft order by using later picks to match the bid value forcing every subsequent pick to drop by 1?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think these guys are generally already considered to be (say) top 25 picks so in a way your right, but isn't it about the club jumping up the draft order by using later picks to match the bid value forcing every subsequent pick to drop by 1?

Just going from last year, the Bulldogs' pick at the start of the 2nd round (20) was moved out to 25 by the time they used it.

By the time the third round had come around, bidding had the opposite effect - Saints pick 44 was used on the 40th player taken.

The rules have changed this year to stop (or at least slow down) many late picks being used to pick up players early, so might not be as much fluctuation in positions this year - teams will probably try to trade for picks soon after where they expect the player to be bid on instead.

To go back to SV's question, I agree that it doesn't really matter as long as you don't really want another club's F/S or academy player. Assuming it goes similarly to last year, the system could actually help us with our 3rd round and later picks moving up the order and becoming worth more for matching F/S bids.

I really like the bidding system fwiw - can't think of a better/fairer way to do it and it's great that clubs have first option on sons of their former players. Going against Eddie a bit here, but also think the academies are a good thing.

Here are the comparisons between Leon and Motlop after their first 7 seasons:
Leon: Games: 115; Kicks: 7.7: M: 2.4; HB: 2.4; CP: 4.6; Gls: 1.2; BH: 0.8; Tk: 1.7; I50s: 2.5; R50: 0.4; Gl Assist: 0.3
Stev: Games: 112; Kicks: 12.1:M:3.5; HB: 5.8; CP: 5.1; Gls: 1.4; BH: 0.8; Tk: 2.3; I50s: 3.9; R50: 1.4; Gl Assist: 0.6
Context being Motlop was in a team winning premierships every 2nd year. Racking up huge wins.

Just going from last year, the Bulldogs' pick at the start of the 2nd round (20) was moved out to 25 by the time they used it.

By the time the third round had come around, bidding had the opposite effect - Saints pick 44 was used on the 40th player taken.

The rules have changed this year to stop (or at least slow down) many late picks being used to pick up players early, so might not be as much fluctuation in positions this year - teams will probably try to trade for picks soon after where they expect the player to be bid on instead.

To go back to SV's question, I agree that it doesn't really matter as long as you don't really want another club's F/S or academy player. Assuming it goes similarly to last year, the system could actually help us with our 3rd round and later picks moving up the order and becoming worth more for matching F/S bids.

I really like the bidding system fwiw - can't think of a better/fairer way to do it and it's great that clubs have first option on sons of their former players. Going against Eddie a bit here, but also think the academies are a good thing.

I agree entirely with your post except the last sentence. I don't think Ed has an issue with academies in the slightest only the rort that is GWS having access to the riverina on top of all the other concessions they've received. That's a traditional footy heartland. I've played in that area its just a joke they have full access to it.

Look at the quality of academy players they've selected, then remove the Riverina from the equation and it becomes a legitimate "growing the game exercise". IMO, its an absolute farce that one of the few players they've actually selected from what should legitimately be there zone (Steele from Canberra) has quit the club after only two years.

Context being Motlop was in a team winning premierships every 2nd year. Racking up huge wins.
Didn't Motlop start circa 2010 and played i think only 4 games in 2011
Not a premiership player to my knowledge hasn't played a grand final I'm sure.

Personally I'm not fussed on him, not even sure how he got on our radar?

Motlop didn't play a senior game in 2009 and only played 4 games in 2011. He didn't play in a premiership side. Whereas Leon ......
Played in grand finals but possessions hmmm......

Didn't Motlop start circa 2010 and played i think only 4 games in 2011
Not a premiership player to my knowledge hasn't played a grand final I'm sure.

Personally I'm not fussed on him, not even sure how he got on our radar?
We need his outside speed and skill Saintly
I know you love JDG and I am a fan too. But with Greenwood, Crisp, Wills, and potentially Sier all vying for that type of role behind our starters in Adams , Treloar and Pendles we are overstocked in that area ( especially considering Wells strong on inside as well).
Of the secondary insides only JDG would have the value to figure in a trade.
I am not married to the idea , and I know you hate it but I think it is worth consideration

I know you love JDG and I am a fan too. But with Greenwood, Crisp, Wills, and potentially Sier all vying for that type of role behind our starters in Adams , Treloar and Pendles we are overstocked in that area ( especially considering Wells strong on inside as well).
I am not married to the idea , and I know you hate it but I think it is worth consideration
Fair points.
As long as not Jordan, I'm listening to quote frasier crane.
Ps you right I'm crazy on Jordan he's the future and if not it might be bleak times yonder

Its one thing to want to take a chance on a guy like Motlop, but it's another thing to want to trade De Goey to do it.

If we trade De Goey I'd rather get someone like Aaron Hall, plus a pick. Or if we must have Motlop, we should be able to take Geelongs pick 16 too for De Goey. They'd be all over that, Wells really rates De Goey.

Its one thing to want to take a chance on a guy like Motlop, but it's another thing to want to trade De Goey to do it.

If we trade De Goey I'd rather get someone like Aaron Hall, plus a pick. Or if we must have Motlop, we should be able to take Geelongs pick 16 too for De Goey. They'd be all over that, Wells really rates De Goey.
We must not even enter the contemplation zone of trading DeGoey. The concept is folly. He will be an absolutely crucial part of our next 5 years. We actually want him to be the number 1 inside mid so that we can have Pendles and Treloar releasing from congestion rather than being stuck in the contest. Greenwood is not ever going to be able to do this. Motlop can only fantasise at winning contested footy or laying a "reset" tackle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Snoops 2016 List Management, Trade and Draft thoughts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back