So, after tonight, who's our captain for next season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Scott Thompson for Captain

not sure I understand you here - Goody will be the captain until next year and then the new one takes over - noone was going to take over while Goody is still playing

Call my cynical, but I really believe that Goody didnt not need nor should have had three years as captain and I think that to a degree Thompson was overlooked to allow Goody to have a somewhat long tenure as captain rather than be a stop gap captain.

If Thompson was about 3 years younger I am 100 percent sure he would be the annointed next captain of the AFC, but Goody was never not going to be the captain under Craig's watch so Thompson was skipped VB was annointed to give Goody a window of opportunity as a captain.

Besides Thommo, Rory and Danger no one else really tried to pull the guys with them tonight. And those 3 had, and didn't have, their moments so to speak as well.

Geez - tough one.

I'll go Thommo next year to give Rory and Dange time to develop.

I'm still a huge fan of the idea of Knights to Captain - just need to see him come back well from his injuries and also stay at the club!

I can't think of Scott Thompson without thinking of silly free kicks (often for over-the-shoulder contact) and clangers.

2 games stand out when I think of him. The first is the 2005 Qualifying Final. Roo had been unfairly suspended in the game against the Eagles and missed this one. Thompson was overzealous in his attempts to make up for Roo's physicality and gave away a number of silly free kicks. A trait he is only recently removing from his game.

The second was the 2007 Elimination Final against the Hawks. Thompson, under little pressure, kicked the ball out on the full which directly resulted in Buddy's match-winning goal.

throw some cash at Pavlich, or other guns out there to bring them to SA for a couple of seasons and then let the kids take over...

it's too soon for Rory

Id like Johncock to be considered as captain, he doenst seem to be involved in the clique that a number of players are involved in, he has been our best player this year

Id like Johncock to be considered as captain, he doenst seem to be involved in the clique that a number of players are involved in, he has been our best player this year

Was thinking this for a while, I would like to see Thompson or Johncock for captain and Danger and Rory for Vice.

Johncock? really guys?

He hasn't played a full season in recent memory. if ever.

Very good player, but he won't captain the AFC

The only real choices we have are:

Thompson, Danger, Rutten, Knights and VB

Would love for Thompson to get it for a few years, ready for danger when he retires

Someone who can keep their feet and not constantly slip over,
someone who can take a game by the balls and turn it on it's ear,
someone who doesn't keep giving silly free kicks,
someone who leads by example.

We need a general. A strong leader who the rest look up to.

None of the popular names mentioned have these qualities.

However I'm strongly in the Johncock camp he needs just to step his game up a bit but I doubt he wants it.

I would love to see Thommo as skipper, I have been thinking he was the best Captain for a few years now. Definitely not van Berlo, he has stagnated massively and I really don't understand why people talk him up as Captain. Just does not do enough on the field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Certainly not Rutten he holds his spot on past glory atm, the game has gotten away from him anyone with a bit of pace about them tears him apart.

Johncock won't even get thrown into the mid-field when even our KPPs will get a run in there. He certainly has the ability to lift the side and save some games but he doesn't have the backing and perhaps from what I've read around here the ethic for the job.

Really it's a pickle if Bock was playing up to scratch and was a certainty to stick about I'd put him in contention, I really don't give a rats ass about what happens off-field it's a bloody football game you see how well voting up a poster child does you in politics.
Why exactly would you want a squeeky clean anyway, it's not reality.

Knights over the journey hasn't even been as consistant as VB. The reactions are garbage same type of crap that led to Goodwin retiring after some off games.

I would go with Thommo and Danger and get the young man in the middle.
Seriously Thompson is our most consistant and strongest player when you take the retiring players out and the twilight players you don't have a lot left to choose from other then him when it comes to reliable performer our others have just kind of fallen away and are hiding out within the team structure.

And BTW when your not lookin like scoring the first goal of the game is a frikkin crunch goal..

Whoever gets the captaincy is going to have to make a massive step up, such is the glaring lack of on field leadership at the moment.

Should we rotate the captaincy for the rest of this year and see who looks capable??

I know the VB fanboys will tear me a new one, but I still maintain that he has just not progressed enough. He is not an on-field general, the only on field general we have under 30 is Scott Thompson, he should already be captain and IMO I cannot believe he is not in our leadership group.

I have never been a fan of VB's. Just don't get what the fuss is about. Thommo always puts in and tries to lead by example. I don't give a flying f@#k whether he does burnouts or robs banks, he is an onfield leader, something VB isn't. VB is lucky to be in the side IMO.

Yes it was certainly glaringly obvious that we lacked any real leadership out there last night, and although I am NOT a fan of the idea, Scott Thompson was the only one that stood out as attempting to get us across the line.

I thought Danger and Rory both put in a burst of 'follow me boys' and tried to get things going. Only a burst though - not quite ready enough to be able to do i tfor the whole game.

In 2 years time Rory/Danger looking very promising as future leaders of the club for mine.

Can't believe VB/Truck didn't try and exert themselves more on the game. I was dying for someone to go to Walker/Hendo, slap them in the back of the head and give them a gee on. They were playing great in getting the ball - just shanked shot after shot. Needed a leader to pull them together.

Also needed someone to have a chat to the boys who were pulling out of contests, or someone to inspirationally lay their body on the line as an example. Where was that???

I thought Danger and Rory both put in a burst of 'follow me boys' and tried to get things going. Only a burst though - not quite ready enough to be able to do i tfor the whole game.

In 2 years time Rory/Danger looking very promising as future leaders of the club for mine.

Can't believe VB/Truck didn't try and exert themselves more on the game. I was dying for someone to go to Walker/Hendo, slap them in the back of the head and give them a gee on. They were playing great in getting the ball - just shanked shot after shot. Needed a leader to pull them together.

Also needed someone to have a chat to the boys who were pulling out of contests, or someone to inspirationally lay their body on the line as an example. Where was that???

Could not be any more correct with those two statements Jenny.

A steadying influence like Goodwin would've undoubtedly grabbed Walker early and pumped his tyres up, get his goal kicking confidence back.

Goody would also never shirk like a few of our boys did; I think we saw Dangerfield and Rory try and lead by example - but I get the impression they aren't quite ready to grab the entire group at a quarter break and blast them for not-competing. Doughty should've done it IMO; funnily enough, he is one guy you can now rely on to throw himself into every contest at full throttle, as part of the leadership group, he needed to demand the same of others.

I was expecting a hell of a lot more from Rutten and VB, but I think both of them seriously hurt their leadership credentials tonight - VB more so than Truck. I think Truck confirmed that a fullback will struggle to be the on-field leader - but there is room for him in the leadership group.

Thommo showed real leadership in the way he played, Maric had a go, Sloane/Danger did their best, Doughty led from the front; but there were way too many guys willing to slack off. The guys I just listed tried to lead by their actions, but they needed to demand the same of others.

God these threads really bring out the chair sniffers.

All the 'van berlo isnt in the best 22' morons that didnt say a peep last friday.

Pfft, being saying VB is overrated for years. Gets a spot in the 22 for mine yeah, but captain? People need to keep in mind that we don't support the Adelaide Debating and Catering Team, we support a football club. As well spoken as the bloke is, as much as he sets an example with his off field behaviour, he needs to be able to do something when the ball is in his hands. Execute the basics when the game is up for grabs and your team mates are needing you to steady things; convert a crunch goal; get over to the boys if their heads are dropping; lay the big tackle. I'm not seeing him ticking too many of these boxes, at least not with anything like the consistency that's required.

Knights all the way, I just hope he can get ****ing fit.

Based on last night's game, there's really nobody at the moment that's leadership material. Dangerfield and Sloane could be captain at some stage down the track but are not quite ready at this stage.

God these threads really bring out the chair sniffers.

All the 'van berlo isnt in the best 22' morons that didnt say a peep last friday.

Never been a huge fan of the VB for captain chants, until last Friday night. Played the perfect captains game. Was physical and led from the front.

Up until this year, I have been a Thommo for captaincy fan but to be honest I don't think he really wants it, or doesn't appear to. Hasn't really come out aggressively and said he wants the job.

Remove this Banner Ad

So, after tonight, who's our captain for next season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back