So the bombers want to trade heavily...but....

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Freo are a team to watch out for. they vowed not to trade this year but who knows, they seem to have a thing for bringing in essendon players. courtney johns is definately trade bait, but i think if any club were stupid enough to pick him up freo might look at him and he might have some inclination to come back to wa. definately not worth a top pick though.

Geez mate you're pretty easy to please aren't you.

I'd assume Lucas, McVeigh, Lovett, Houli, Reimers, Gumbleton, Stanton and Winderlich would come at ridiculously high prices.

Hislop is a bloody good player, there's potential there.
Slattery could be a decent role player. Better than any of the small back pocket types we've got at the moment anyway. (;))

If Monfries and Laycock were in Kepler Bradley territory where they'll be delisted anyway, why the ____ not. Monfries I wouldn't trade much for, late 3rd rounder at best, but there's ability there. Laycock.........too early to call given our ruck stocks.

ROFL WINDERLICH at all is funny. let alone for pick 16 and a player. wouldnt get 16 for him. Prismall is someone with trade value

Watson would be worth a top 15 pick, great in and under player does his job extremely well, its not his fault he is surrouded by outside players with terrible skills. Would be a star player in a midfield with skilled outside mids.

I doubt there will be too many that agree with you on Watson = top 15. "In and under" players are far more common than skilled outside players. Which are the teams with a lot of outside mids, and would any of them need Watson?

ALL clubs know that the next draft may be the last one they have access to without concessions to the expansion teams - so 1st round picks will have even more value. I'd be livid if North gave away early picks for players - everyone has learnt from the Hawthorn North trades.

All struggling clubs say they'll trade aggressively - it's all rhetoric as hardly anything happens in trade week. Refusing to trade Bradley to Freo could be seen as taking an aggressive approach - but for the wrong reasons.

Fremantle will take all the Essendon discards.

Houli, Davey or Jetta are worth a first round pick. The rest are not even worth a meat tray, maybe the Balwyn Tiger's Daniel Harford might be interested.

There are a few that would win the 'Nick Ries' Medal.

McVeigh has been consistently good throughout his career.

Sheeds played him as a stopper down back and he pretty much did the job week in and week out and rarely got beaten.

His performances in the middle this year suggest the Sheeds was a little slow in getting him onto the ball.

I'm certainly not saying he was dud or anything before this year, he has always been a good serviceable player. However, he hasn't really been a top midfielder untill this year, and i don't think that warrants a first round pick or anything of that caliber.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players who could/should be traded:

Monfries (we don't really need forward pockets and he doesn't look able to cut it as a mid)
Johns (is anyone dumb enough?)

Players who might, but most likely wont, be traded:

McPhee (if we get a very good offer)
Lovett-Murray (good clubman, so unlikely, but we have a lot of half-backs so he's not fixed in a position anymore)
Nash (could have good value, has looked poor this year)
Dyson (depends how he goes. most likely will stay)
Winderlich (only 23 and showed he can be a good player last year, so he won't go unless we get a very good offer).
Slattery (we'd be stupid not to accept a good offer for him if we get one)
Laycock (depends on his form for the rest of the year and how decent any offers are)

Extremely unlikely anyone else will go.

McVeigh is an important club figure, loves the club, and will be 28 next year.
Lovett is class and only 25. He won't go unless we get an absurdly good offer.
Stanton/Lucas/Lloyd/Fletch/Hille/Watson/Rama won't go for obvious reasons.
None of the young guys will go.

I doubt there will be too many that agree with you on Watson = top 15. "In and under" players are far more common than skilled outside players. Which are the teams with a lot of outside mids, and would any of them need Watson?

ALL clubs know that the next draft may be the last one they have access to without concessions to the expansion teams - so 1st round picks will have even more value. I'd be livid if North gave away early picks for players - everyone has learnt from the Hawthorn North trades.

All struggling clubs say they'll trade aggressively - it's all rhetoric as hardly anything happens in trade week. Refusing to trade Bradley to Freo could be seen as taking an aggressive approach - but for the wrong reasons.

Im prepared to make a huge call without bias ;) and say that Jobe is in the top 5 in and under players in the competition. That coupled with some of the best handballing skills, I wouldn't want to trade him. In years to come when some of our outside mids (Houli, Myers, Jetta, Dempsey) start to mature, Jobe will become all the more important. Way too underrated by the football public because of misconceptions about his skills.

Jobe Watson (22) played just 1540 minutes for the season -ranked 16th at Essendon behind Hird -had the fourth highest number of disposals and finshed 10th in the B&F.

With just 68% of game time he achieved the distinction of the No1 ranking in the competition for disposals per minute. The perception that he wastes too many disposals is misguided. He was involved in the most score chains of any Essendon non-forward and ranked third overall behind only Lloyd and Scott Lucas.

From Champion Data's 2008 AFL Prospectus book.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419033&highlight=Jobe+Watson+importance

Im prepared to make a huge call without bias ;) and say that Jobe is in the top 5 in and under players in the competition. That coupled with some of the best handballing skills, I wouldn't want to trade him. In years to come when some of our outside mids (Houli, Myers, Jetta, Dempsey) start to mature, Jobe will become all the more important. Way too underrated by the football public because of misconceptions about his skills.

Better brace yourself for a barrage of abuse, mate.:thumbsu:

If Johns got traded to anybody Essendon would have to be lucky to get rid of him for anything.

He is way too slow and a floor in the backline.

Daveys is an untouchable but he would get top 10 pick

Apologies. It wasnt deliberate.

I thought Essendon's recent list management was a relevant reference point to this thread.
It was. It is the entire issue. Essendon’s list management is why they are where they are and why they are making noises about trading – because they have to.

The problem is, all of Essendon's trading commodities, they would hardly get anything decent or any good draft picks for them (unless clubs are stupid to give up a 1st rnd pick for a dud like Winderlich) ...

It is only going to get worse for Essendon in years to come as well.

Apologies. It wasnt deliberate.

I thought Essendon's recent list management was a relevant reference point to this thread.

It was. It is the entire issue. Essendon’s list management is why they are where they are and why they are making noises about trading – because they have to.

It wasn't and just so you can refresh your memory here is what the OP is

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11005116&postcount=1

Who on their list would be worth a top 5 pick or a top 10 pick???

Lloyd? No.
Lucas? Great player but is 30 yo and only has a few years left. No
Fletcher? Retiring soon.
Hille? No.
Stanton? Possibly top 10. Debatable.
Monfries?. Been disappointing. No

Really struggling with this one because obviously Knights won't want to give away a Paddy Ryder or Gumbleton because they are the future.

You will notice that the topic has nothing to do with the recruitment of Richard Cole or Collingwoods drafting etc etc etc which is what derailed the thread and turned it into a Collingwood vs Essendon list management topic.

The problem is, all of Essendon's trading commodities, they would hardly get anything decent or any good draft picks for them (unless clubs are stupid to give up a 1st rnd pick for a dud like Winderlich) ...

It is only going to get worse for Essendon in years to come as well.

Are you trying to say that a club needs first round picks in order to recruit well? Why can't Essendon trade some middle tier players for third or fourth round picks and use those picks well?

What picks did we get for Dean Soloman? Who did we get for those two picks? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back