Southern FNL Div One 2016

Who will win the SFNL Div 1 Flag in 2016

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey BSA, I'm a visitor to this thread but what's the issue with offering money to 18 & 19 year olds as long as they are out of juniors and moving into seniors. If they are any good there current club should be trying to keep them I would like to think. What I've found is clubs can overlook there own. What we found was to sign them to contacts near the end of there season in 18s. Most kids then feel appreciated and often sign for "fair" payments as they are your future.

On another note will Port Colts coming into the SFL affect SK City in any way? I know they are in div2 but SK City had that area to themselves yes!

Might not be a problem offering money to 18 and 19 years old to play seniors but its a different story offering money to 16 & 17 years old school kids to play U19s. With many suburban clubs in the mire because of inflated payments this sort of conduct hardly promotes a healthy culture of loyalty.

Having been lured on the promise of payment what to think these kids will do when another club offers more money?

Last edited:
Might not be a problem offering money to 18 and 19 years old to play seniors but its a different story offering money to 16 & 17 years old school kids to play U19s. With many suburban clubs in the mire because of inflated payments this sort of conduct hardly promotes a healthy culture of loyalty.

Having been lured on the promise of payment what to think these kids will do when another club offers more money?
I should have been more specific, at least 7 or 8 of their U18's last year were being enticed with match payments last season.

Hey BSA, I'm a visitor to this thread but what's the issue with offering money to 18 & 19 year olds as long as they are out of juniors and moving into seniors. If they are any good there current club should be trying to keep them I would like to think. What I've found is clubs can overlook there own. What we found was to sign them to contacts near the end of there season in 18s. Most kids then feel appreciated and often sign for "fair" payments as they are your future.

On another note will Port Colts coming into the SFL affect SK City in any way? I know they are in div2 but SK City had that area to themselves yes!
Sorry Turbo, I should have been more specific. They were offering match payments to 17 / 18 YO'lds last season in their U18's. How many clubs do you know that do that, or am I missing something here. I also know at least 6 18 / 19 year olds who have been offered some match payments for this season. I'm not against this in senior footy, as if a kid is talented and can make a bit of money on the side to help with his schooling, career or whatever then I'm ok with that. Just not in the under age comps.

Sorry Turbo, I should have been more specific. They were offering match payments to 17 / 18 YO'lds last season in their U18's. How many clubs do you know that do that, or am I missing something here. I also know at least 6 18 / 19 year olds who have been offered some match payments for this season. I'm not against this in senior footy, as if a kid is talented and can make a bit of money on the side to help with his schooling, career or whatever then I'm ok with that. Just not in the under age comps.

Hey BSA, for what it's worth I will give you my thoughts on this situation.
I don't agree with paying players in junior grades, even at u18 / u19 level. Im dead against it, "however" with AFL Vic bringing in the points system with little consultation from the majority of metro clubs, it has forced the hand of clubs to find the best way forward. You will need to build your junior programs and one way is to pay your current better junior players. I'm still not suggesting to put them on a weekly contract, but maybe offer incentives each game. I reckon this won't stop at 18 or 19 level but kids as young as 14/15 will be targeted by opposition clubs to switch clubs, so by the time they are ready for seniors they will be 1 point.
Is this right, NO, but as a football club you have been forced to go down this path by AFL Vic.

I will be honest and say I don't like the points system the way it's now set up. I don't believe enough thought went into the process. Yes something has to change to reduce these high club player payment budgets and players swapping clubs every couple of years, but the points system was put together by some desk worker who probably has watched little local or country footy.
So in closing put money into a junior football manager to ensure you keep your current top level juniors.

Cheers & Good luck with it all..

I don't agree with paying players in junior grades, even at u18 / u19 level. Im dead against it, "however" with AFL Vic bringing in the points system with little consultation from the majority of metro clubs, it has forced the hand of clubs to find the best way forward. You will need to build your junior programs and one way is to pay your current better junior players. I'm still not suggesting to put them on a weekly contract, but maybe offer incentives each game. I reckon this won't stop at 18 or 19 level but kids as young as 14/15 will be targeted by opposition clubs to switch clubs, so by the time they are ready for seniors they will be 1 point.
Is this right, NO, but as a football club you have been forced to go down this path by AFL Vic.

I will be honest and say I don't like the points system the way it's now set up. I don't believe enough thought went into the process. Yes something has to change to reduce these high club player payment budgets and players swapping clubs every couple of years, but the points system was put together by some desk worker who probably has watched little local or country footy.
So in closing put money into a junior football manager to ensure you keep your current top level juniors.

For every action there is an equal and opposition reaction

Bentleigh splashing the cash?
Pat Nichols not cheap & Avondale heights ruckman Andrew Walsh definitely worth a few $$$$
plus the others they have signed!

Dingley have gained a few but lost abit of quality?
St pauls in the same boat as dinlgey?
East brighton just plain screwed!
Cheltenham singed a a massive amount but are any quality players?

Bentleigh splashing the cash?
Pat Nichols not cheap & Avondale heights ruckman Andrew Walsh definitely worth a few $$$$
plus the others they have signed!

Dingley have gained a few but lost abit of quality?
St pauls in the same boat as dinlgey?
East brighton just plain screwed!
Cheltenham singed a a massive amount but are any quality players?

Walsh will go well in this comp boys. Bit of a football nomad and seems to change clubs a fair bit. Not quite sure why though? I'm guessing his on big $$.

1. Dingley Are still the team to beat, and are now the new powerhouse of SFNL
  2. Bentleigh Will be the BIG improvers this years, only lacked a few players last year and have looked to get the right players in, without losing any stars
  3. Cheltenham Have lost their best player but they have gone on a big recruiting drive and could be right up there for the first time
  4. St Pauls will still be good enough to be counted as a contender
  5. East Malvern Not sure why they changed the coach, as they were going well under him, but should still make the five
  6. Clayton picking up some very handy players to add to a list that at times were good,will be very hard to beat and could make the top 5
  7. Oakleigh District some very handy players coming onboard and will not be an easy side to beat but can not get any injuries
  8. Mordialloc lost too many and might be in for a hard year
  9. St Kilda City A year to grow some of the younger players
  10. East Brighton not many players are left to field a team, and will be going back to D2

Last edited:
  2. Bentleigh Will be the BIG improvers this years, only lacked a few players last year and have looked to get the right players in, without losing any stars
  3. Cheltenham Have lost their best player but they have gone on a big recruiting drive and could be right up there for the first time
  5. East Malvern Not sure why they changed the coach, as they were going well under him, but should still make the five
  6. Clayton picking up some very handy players to add to a list that at times were good,will be very hard to beat and could make the top 5
  7. Oakleigh District some very handy players coming onboard and will not be an easy side to beat but can not get any injuries
  10. East Brighton not many players are left to field a team, and will be going back to D2

Everyone saying Mordi has lost heaps, I'd love to know who we have lost

(Log in to remove this ad.)

W

Great review TNL, Bentleigh and Cheltenham to finish 2nd & 3rd, Nichols and Walsh need to have cracking seasons for the demons.
Whats superfreak have to say about all these new recruits at JB Oval and where he thinks they'll finish?

W

Great review TNL, Bentleigh and Cheltenham to finish 2nd & 3rd, Nichols and Walsh need to have cracking seasons for the demons.
Whats superfreak have to say about all these new recruits at JB Oval and where he thinks they'll finish?
Dingleys recruits look good, fugerson and Horton from noble park, Chris Morgan and the captain of Chelsea. Looks like they will be strong again. Good to see chelt picking up a heap and should be back in the finals

Dingleys recruits look good, fugerson and Horton from noble park, Chris Morgan and the captain of Chelsea. Looks like they will be strong again. Good to see chelt picking up a heap and should be back in the finals
Ferguson and Horton Nobles 2s, Stewart delisted from Chelsea and Morgan delisted by Sorrento!
Still good enough to win it again! Chelt have picked up plenty of average players. Will have good 2s as per usual!
Seniors will struggle to play finals!

Ferguson and Horton Nobles 2s, Stewart delisted from Chelsea and Morgan delisted by Sorrento!
Still good enough to win it again! Chelt have picked up plenty of average players. Will have good 2s as per usual!
Seniors will struggle to play finals!
Ferguson played 17 games in the seniors last year, and Horton played similar numbers. Stewart was there captain mate far from delisted

The points system was developed for the right reasons, but it will result in unintended consequences, especially in the country leagues. If every club could be trusted to implement salary caps it would work. Humans being what we are will ensure it will never work. The point system is transparent. Balwyn won the EFL grand final by 100+ points. Deer Park won their 3rd flag? by a huge margin and many country leagues are dominated by one club? Each year one or two clubs drop off the radar. The SFL management have done a good job in strengthening the competition by ensuring there is a strong Div 2 & Div 3 competition. Div 2 is probably the strongest it has ever been and now with Port Colts there are 4 or 5 contenders looking to be promoted.If a Div 1 club gets relegated it could take a few years to get back.

The points system was developed for the right reasons, but it will result in unintended consequences, especially in the country leagues. If every club could be trusted to implement salary caps it would work. Humans being what we are will ensure it will never work. The point system is transparent. Balwyn won the EFL grand final by 100+ points. Deer Park won their 3rd flag? by a huge margin and many country leagues are dominated by one club? Each year one or two clubs drop off the radar. The SFL management have done a good job in strengthening the competition by ensuring there is a strong Div 2 & Div 3 competition. Div 2 is probably the strongest it has ever been and now with Port Colts there are 4 or 5 contenders looking to be promoted.If a Div 1 club gets relegated it could take a few years to get back.
Should East Brighton go into recess for 2016 and return when they have enough players in 2017?
I think this would make sense!

Should East Brighton go into recess for 2016 and return when they have enough players in 2017?

This is what happens when ego gets in the way of developing a whole club approach.

Too busy patting each other on the back because of a strong first team rather than developing their kids and depth. I hope that they can turn it around quickly.

This is what happens when ego gets in the way of developing a whole club approach.

Too busy patting each other on the back because of a strong first team rather than developing their kids and depth. I hope that they can turn it around quickly.

In fairness and for the sake of balance EB recognised this fact themselves a few years back and have worked very hard at improving overall depth and getting a Colts team up and running. The reality is there are only so many players to go around (particuarly in an area awash with clubs). Their demographic and junior feeder is made up almost entirely of private school kids who generally go and play U19s in the VAFA. The relationship with the junior arm was fractured years ago and while it has been rebuilt somewhat they remain very much separate entities.

They have some very big challenges to get back on track but the issues are not as simplistic as you suggest.

Premier Division EDFL Club looking for a practice match 12th of March. The game will consist of 3 Grades, full quarters plus time on and can host

Please PM for more info

It is a really bad look for Div1 if a team is getting smashed by 30 goals and their seconds have to forfeit. The League went through that a few years ago with Heatherton. The SFL has a very strong Div 2 competition. It should ask if any club is willing to come up. I would be surprised if any club took up the offer, but there may one willing to do what Caulfield a few years ago and they seem to have benefitted from that courageous act. At the very least EB would continue to play and it would allow them to regroup as a club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Southern FNL Div One 2016

Back