Roast St Kilda in no mans land

Remove this Banner Ad

Also, 4 of your 5 wins this year have been by about 2 goals or less.

It's a symptom of Ross Lyon's football. You play coward football. Shit scared to open yourselves up to get scored against and render yourselves unable to score yourselves.

Pathetic approach to the game. If Lyon ever coached my club, I'd never support it it any way. If Saints fans still stick by the club after re-appointing and sticking with this guy, they deserve the reputation and place in history they have. Feel for the long-suffering Saints fans, but grow some balls and kick this guy out. Jesus Christ.

Maybe you enjoy the frustration his blight on the game causes, but it's not really doing your club much good. No one is actually envious of your capacity to eek out some close wins while only just losing some close games.
given the choice. I would rather take the narrow losses than be belted like North has been on the regular basis from round 3 of 2020 onwards.

You also need to look at the saints playng squad. They actually have some good players that would be in the best 23 at all clubs. I would say at least 3 players would walk in to the cats best 23 easily.

With the players Ross Lyon has in his disposal, they cant go out and go and out score the top 6 clubs. We saw that then saints took on brisbane at the Gabba.

Yeah i guess that's pretty similar to the dogs getting JUH and a never ending amount of father sons, Or pretty much the same as Quaynor, Moore and the daicos boys. how many packets of chips did it cost those teams?
How about blaming your own clubs recruiting staff for picking Coffield and Clark instead of Naughton or Macartin instead of petracca or Billings instead of Bont or Max king instead of Ben King

How about blaming your own clubs recruiting staff for picking Coffield and Clark instead of Naughton or Macartin instead of petracca or Billings instead of Bont or Max king instead of Ben King
those players actually costs picks in the top 10 like they were supposed to. I'm sure we'd play a bit better if we had 3-4 father sons playing in the list that cost fk all picks and are more likely to take a pay cut to keep a good team together :)

hahaha, not even the point.......

point is WB could get JUH at pick one as an NGA and we couldn't get Cam McKenzie at pick 7
that's the ****ing point

not to mention Darcy/Croft and any other F/S you've picked up for sfa cost

point is WB could get JUH at pick one as an NGA and we couldn't get Cam McKenzie at pick 7
that's the ****ing point

What draft picks did Owens and Windhager go for?

I'm constantly amazed by the criticism of ross lyon. when hes had the cattle his teams have been very good and sure they start from defence first but who doesnt. Geelong would have been nowhere without scarlett, harley, mackie and stewart.

Hes frequently had 2-5 players in the team who arent exactly a graders who ran hard and did everything youd ask of them (mcqualter, nick suban, lee spurr etc played some of their best footy when the team was going as well as it could but werent exactly world beaters at the afl level)

But people just want to tag him with a defence at all costs game. its simply not true. Ive watched the saints a few times this season - i must say that they try to attack. theyre just rubbish forward of centre both in delivery and who is receiving it.

What draft picks did Owens and Windhager go for?
when there was a top 20 pick exclusion....
Owens pick 33
Windhaeger 47

not pick 1, not pick 7 not pick 4
not 4 picks inside top 25

a late 2nd and earlyish 3rd round picks

same Draft Diacos goes at Pick 4 and Darcy at Pick 2, paid for by picks in the 40's

that's the ****ing point

Really thats a sad state of affairs when you are blaming what another club did compared to your own recruiting team :D:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As strange as it sounds, I'm not writing Lyon off.

I think what were seeing is simply the result of St Kilda foolishly attempting to rebuild during the compromises Draft years. Then on top of that, having some terrible luck and some poor decisions after that with their drafting.

Clark and Billings are no good. McCartin and Coffield we will never know. You could probably even argue that inuries killed Billings' career too.

They've ever recovered from that. I heard Gary Lyon say that they have 14 players from other clubs in their team. And this tells the story of how badly broken they are in terms of their list.

They have brought in 14 players, and none of them are really much good. Yet, they've all been walk up starts in their team.

Think about that...you bring in a guy because he's better than another spud who's already on your list. He's not that good and no one else wanted him - but he's an improvement on the guy you have. Then do this 14 times!!! And when you do that 14 times, your list still isn't any good!!

Their midfield is deplorable. It has been for a decade almost.

Lyon doesn't trust the midfield not to be smashed. And you can't blame him.

I think if St Kilda played to outscore their opponent each week, they'd realistically be winless.

The feeling might be that the Saints just can’t afford to bottom out for a thorough rebuild.
No man’s land and occasionally competitive might be as good as it gets and Ross was probably seen as the most likely capable of achieving this and so secured his superannuation contract with the Saints who were happy to sign him without entering into any process other clubs had demanded.
Pretty bleak reading for the Saints …“Such is life”

The feeling might be that the Saints just can’t afford to bottom out for a thorough rebuild.
I don't know why people keep saying this?

There is no logic to the AFL reducing teams. There is no logic to the AFL reducing the amount of games played each week.
There is no logic to the AFL discarding 250k-500k existing supporters.

Poor clubs MAKE money for the AFL. The cash handouts that all clubs get, pale into insignificance compared to the money the AFL generates by having 9 games each week compared to 8.

Why do you think Tassie are coming in, when GWS and Gold Coast can't win, can't get crowds, and can't make money?

It's the same reason that the AFL will never get rid of a St Kilda or North or whomever else.

given the choice. I would rather take the narrow losses than be belted like North has been on the regular basis from round 3 of 2020 onwards.

You also need to look at the saints playng squad. They actually have some good players that would be in the best 23 at all clubs. I would say at least 3 players would walk in to the cats best 23 easily.

With the players Ross Lyon has in his disposal, they cant go out and go and out score the top 6 clubs. We saw that then saints took on brisbane at the Gabba.

You keep using North as an example.

There’s 17 AFL clubs, plus pretty much every other club in world sport, that is doing better than Norths last 5 years.

We are not a benchmark.

I don't know why people keep saying this?

There is no logic to the AFL reducing teams. There is no logic to the AFL reducing the amount of games played each week.
There is no logic to the AFL discarding 250k-500k existing supporters.

Poor clubs MAKE money for the AFL. The cash handouts that all clubs get, pale into insignificance compared to the money the AFL generates by having 9 games each week compared to 8.

Why do you think Tassie are coming in, when GWS and Gold Coast can't win, can't get crowds, and can't make money?

It's the same reason that the AFL will never get rid of a St Kilda or North or whomever else.

You’re probably right.
But the Saints could only attract 18k to their game on the weekend.
Perhaps empty stadiums are next for them.
Perennial problem child of the AFL who’ll have to and will keep them afloat forever and a day with the bigger picture in mind …

You’re probably right.
Perennial problem child of the AFL who’ll have to and will keep them afloat forever and a day with the bigger picture in mind …
This is such a reactionary take. Poor form generally corresponds to a drop in fan interest. Look at Port's crowds 12 years ago during the tarp era, and compare them to the crowds they pulled only a couple years later - it's night and day.

27-1
Seemingly forever in debt
It ain’t no fluke … and it continues …
yeah it isn't a fluke that's for sure. maybe they should televise lower supported teams more often so they have a chance of getting new fans, We aren't all as lucky as Carlton. We don't get a decade of never ending friday games while we are at the bottom of the ladder.

yeah it isn't a fluke that's for sure. maybe they should televise lower supported teams more often so they have a chance of getting new fans, We aren't all as lucky as Carlton. We don't get a decade of never ending friday games while we are at the bottom of the ladder.

8 goals a game ain’t getting it done on Friday night telecasts.
Perhaps if the Saints put Ross through a process they might have discovered this …

You’re probably right.

St Kilda have historically had a lot of people that barrack for them - but have never really managed to translate that into invested supporters.

Even when they've been good, their crowds and membership numbers have been similar to that of Richmond and Collingwood when they've sucked.

I think the AFL are confident that those people can be turned into invested supporters. Put it this way, if they won't rock up to St Kilda games, they're sure as hell not going to start rocking up to Tassie Saints or Darwin Saints games, are they?

They'd be lost to the game.

The AFL is trying to grow the game, not shrink it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast St Kilda in no mans land

Remove this Banner Ad

Back