Roast St Kilda in no mans land

Remove this Banner Ad

Aren't they top 6 or something for Scoring From D50?

I think I saw King and Montagna discuss this on FoxFooty recently.

Their actually from defence is actually very good. It's their scoring from stoppage that is putrid..

If you look at their midfield, that's no surprise.

If they can fix their midfield, they'll probably be pretty good.

Exactly, top 6 is middle of the road and that is their strongest part of the ground. Is it any wonder they get nowhere.

Exactly, top 6 is middle of the road and that is their strongest part of the ground. Is it any wonder they get nowhere.
That's a fair point.

FWIW I think their strongest part of the ground is stopping the opposition from scoring. The fact that they are good at scoring from their own back half suggests that they move the ball well from back there however.

I think to be fair though, they'd probably be ranked much higher in that stat if their midfield was any good. I've been saying this (I think in this thread actually) for a long time that they lack that polish through the middle that can turn forward thrusts into genuine scoring opportunities.

That's where they continually break down, and have done so for years now. I'd argue that they're so bad at it, that they turn genuine scoring opportunities into poor forward thrusts! Rather than vice versa.

It's always amusing watching the snipers with the same old tired arguments come out as soon as we have a (very) bad game, yet they've all been remarkably quiet over the past month and a bit when we were playing good football. Never change, Bigfooty.

We got belted by the best team in the comp. It happens.

I think to be fair though, they'd probably be ranked much higher in that stat if their midfield was any good. I've been saying this (I think in this thread actually) for a long time that they lack that polish through the middle that can turn forward thrusts into genuine scoring opportunities.

It's a fair point. No one is going to disagree that we need a better midfield, all our problems start there.

It's tough to just click your fingers and have an amazing midfield. Realistically we're still a few years away from being middle of the pack in that area of the ground.

Seeing Phillipou play some solid games and Nas improving has been some of the best highlights of a bad season. Then we also see Mitch Owens go backwards. It takes time.

They're in trouble. Sinclair is one of their best players and he won't be around to see a premiership. King despite being potentially elite is incredibly fragile. Midfield lacks elite players. Marshall and Sharman, and Wanganeen are pretty much all I'm rating at this point.

Bonner failed at Port and had poor footy smarts and disposal efficiency. He was basically the fill in. Dougal Howard was a painful player to watch. He looked like he could do so much but delivered pretty much nothing. Whether it was in the forward line or in defense. He became a liability

Higgins is a pretty ordinary forward and lacks efficiency. Crouch is a hack that didn't want to do the team stuff at Adelaide and was told to **** off.

Hill is coming to the end of his career.

Windhager is only 21 but I'm not even sure what he brings to the team.

Saints seem complacent with bringing in mediocre players. Reminds me of Port Adelaide between 2008 and 2012. Saints need to get back to the draft.

Last edited:
They're in trouble. Sinclair is one of their best players and he won't be around to see a premiership. King despite being potentially elite is incredibly fragile. Midfield lacks elite players. Marshall and Sharman, and Wanganeen are pretty much all I'm rating at this point.

Bonner failed at Port and had poor footy smarts and disposal efficiency. He was basically the fill in. Dougal Howard was a painful player to watch. He looked like he could do so much but delivered pretty much nothing. Whether it was in the forward line or in defense. He became a liability

Higgins is a pretty ordinary forward and lacks efficiency. Crouch is a hack that didn't want to do the team stuff at Adelaide and was told to **** off.

Hill is coming to the end of his career.

Windhager is only 21 but I'm not even sure what he brings to the team.

Saints seem complacent with bringing in mediocre players. Reminds me of Port Adelaide between 2008 and 2012. Saints need to get back to the draft.
Have we not been doing just that? Every player that we drafted last year has debuted and we've been getting heaps of games into Owens, Windhager and Phillipou. The only players we've traded on recently have been cheapies like Dow and Henry, and we moved on a bunch of mediocre players last year who wouldn't be at the club for the next flag tilt, i.e. Billings and Coffield.
Crouch was probably our best midfielder last year and his absence is a big part of why our midfield has been so bad this year. Higgins is an above average small forward and has had quite a good year despite the absolutely atrocious service our forwards have been getting this season.

The club has made it pretty clear that they'll be hitting the draft hard over the next few years, but the strategy has only just started and won't be paying dividends for a while.

Last edited:
I know we were shit but we did play the best team in the league as a bottom-5 side.

Have we not been doing just that? Every player that we drafted last year has debuted and we've been getting heaps of games into Owens, Windhager and Phillipou. The only players we've traded on recently have been cheapies like Dow and Henry, and we moved on a bunch of mediocre players last year who wouldn't be at the club for the next flag tilt, i.e. Billings and Coffield.
Crouch was probably our best midfielder last year and his absence is a big part of why our midfield has been so bad this year. Higgins is an above average small forward and has had quite a good year despite the absolutely atrocious service our forwards have been getting this season.

The club has made it pretty clear that they'll be hitting the draft hard over the next few years, but the strategy has only just started and won't be paying dividends for a while.
I think you need some top tier players to slot into the list, and cover the older players that you lose in 3-4 years time. I don't rate Bonner or Howard, or Higgins.

I think it's 2 solid drafts away with elite talent. Might be the year to trade for 2 picks in the top 10.

Pick up some free agents in the next few years, and recruit well for KPP's.

Swans are total dog shit atm
One thing I noticed in the game is that they looked lost more than it was a lack of effot. Spent the night chasing Port players around. Warner looked lost, no direction moving forward. May have been a case of Sydney going with what has worked for 17 rounds, getting a bit lucky in a few of those late ones with close wins. I think the start vs Geelong was a huge red flag but everyone ignored it and they don't really have a plan B ready because they haven't needed it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's always amusing watching the snipers with the same old tired arguments come out as soon as we have a (very) bad game, yet they've all been remarkably quiet over the past month and a bit when we were playing good football. Never change, Bigfooty.

We got belted by the best team in the comp. It happens.
This whole thread is basically 314 pages of oppo fans sinking the boot in when we lose.

Who the hell at the Saints thought that hiring back Rossy Lyin' was a good idea? The guy can instill a very disciplined defensive game plan that can derive some success in the short term but it's difficult to sustain such a defensively minded game plan in the long term as eventually his teams tire out from playing in that rigid defensive style.

And with little attention paid to the scoring part of the game this what inevitably happens, they get blown wide open by teams that have quality scoring options.

He had some success at his first stint at the Saints and Freo because he was blessed with a quality player list that could deliver enough home and away wins to hide the massive flaws in his defensive game plan, but in finals his out dated obsolete 1 dimensional game plan has been left wanting and now it's not even getting results in the home and away season.

I guess the Saints will get the chance to fire him, which was denied to them the last time he was there. That can be only the reason why they brought him back.

There was no one

I think you need some top tier players to slot into the list, and cover the older players that you lose in 3-4 years time. I don't rate Bonner or Howard, or Higgins.

I think it's 2 solid drafts away with elite talent. Might be the year to trade for 2 picks in the top 10.

Pick up some free agents in the next few years, and recruit well for KPP's.
your hate for Higgins is embarrassing

He's not perfect but geez, a hell of a lot better than many others on lists

8 goals less than Stengle, 6 less than Green, same as Papley, in a bottom 5 team

8 goals less than Stengle, 6 less than Green, same as Papley, in a bottom 5 team
I'm allowed to have an opinion on a guy. Doesn't mean I hate him. I don't think he's going to bring you success.

What he says about Higgins is exactly right. He is inefficient. Any shot for goal he has - set shot, snap - is basically a 40/60 chance of being a goal (and I think that is being generous). The guy kicks the occasional bag but eff me on so many occasions he has completely snuffed our momentum with his lazy approach to kicking at goal turning great scoring opportunities into out on the full/not make the distance/behind.

I think the Saints CAN get some pretty solid free-flowing footy going at times....but either the players or Ross himself (or both) are very quick to go back into their shells when they get a few goals against them.

Hard to attack when you struggle to get the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast St Kilda in no mans land

Remove this Banner Ad

Back