Roast St Kilda in no mans land

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it makes the call a bit more defensible in hindsight.

Billings/Bont is one that will always haunt us but at least we can say "at the time it was right" (ala Richard Tambling/Buddy).

Trac/Maccartin was just a **** up, we swung on that and whiffed. Reasoning of it doesnt matter to me, Trac should have gone 1, we made the wrong call.
I thought Petracca would go number 1.

But having said that, we will never know what McCartin could have been.

The billings one was more eyebrow raising. Billings was always a strange pick at 3 IMO.

The billings one was more eyebrow raising. Billings was always a strange pick at 3 IMO.
DRAFT RANGE
Billings is set to be selected inside the top five picks next month. If not, he won't last much longer.

no he wasn't, he was always a consensus top 5
but it's 11 years ago

how many other clubs get beat around the head about picks that didn't work, GWS and GCS have missed onj more top than StKilda has had in the same period.

Cripps at 13, how many times have those clubs that passed on him get smacked with it?

Billings was rated a lot higher than he turned out to be.

Strengths: Marking, Positioning, Strength
Weaknesses: Question marks whether he can play as a full-time midfielder

Maybe he was someone who could have developed nicely, but he got drafted by a team that was desperate and needed him to carry them. And he wasn't that guy.

1: Boyd. Was good in a game, but not pick 1 quality.
2: Kelly. We wanted him, couldn't get him.
3: Billings.
4: Bont ( i know, i know, but he was considered an early grab at the time ).
5: Kade can't spell it, brother plays for Cats. As lack lustre as Billings.
6: Scharenberg did his ACL prior to the draft and 2 more after.
7: Aish underwhelming.

My memory suggests that most of the talk before the draft was Billings or Aish, and hoping we could get Kelly.
Who do you think the obvious choice was?

Earlier phantoms from Twomey had Billings second with Kelly falling to us, talk about sliding doors. ( Bont 12th ).

Some of this stuff is fun to read in retrospect.

I distinctly recall the opposite being true.

Trac should have been pick 1, we botched that, thought it at the time, think it now.

Billings was a "safe" choice at the time that didnt pan out. I swear Bont was a real reach at the time off very very recent form and was a bit of a suprise that high.

DRAFT RANGE
Billings is set to be selected inside the top five picks next month. If not, he won't last much longer.

no he wasn't, he was always a consensus top 5
but it's 11 years ago

how many other clubs get beat around the head about picks that didn't work, GWS and GCS have missed onj more top than StKilda has had in the same period.

Cripps at 13, how many times have those clubs that passed on him get smacked with it?
I don't give a **** about 'consensus'. I'm talking about my own opinion at the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast St Kilda in no mans land

Remove this Banner Ad

Back