Preview St.Kilda vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's worth keeping and developing. If he's not best 22 of course don't play him. With Monty retiring though, or injury we may need a mature quality ball user. 20 possies is plenty if they're good one's. Even as depth, we don't want to make finals and then lose becaus we brought in a kid or someone who couldn't use the footy. I still think he can find new life in a new role or even doing an old role better with more experience behind him. He deserves us to hope that for him, I think. Good luck this week Sav!
Have to agree. If you want to play finals you need a core of 30 players who are capable of best 22 in the event of injuries or poor form.

That way your bottom 6 keep improving. It's called depth. Players like Sav get picked until a kid forces them out.

All year i have been thinking that in one game we are going to shoot the lights out and nail every goal and it will be one of those games where everything goes through from every angle.
I have a feeling this is the game!

It's not many times over the years you and I have been on here, that I would say that I'm glad Gilbo is available for selection. :p But he's been really solid this year. And I'm also really relieved to hear he's okay.

He has been amazing this year , I wrote him off at the end of last year , now I'm worried if he's going to miss a game . Just shows how quickly it can turn around . Maybe Dunstan will be the same next year ?

Every single week Richo throws up more and more rubbish at the selection table. I'm more than sick of it.

The difference in projected output between our bottom 5 and top 5 of VFL list wise is IMO nearly non existent.. in saying that isn't it obvious that an eye to the future is the right approach? For example comparing Savage to say Dmac or Rice of a half back the output difference would be limited. So wouldn't playing the kid with upside and potential be the right thing to do?

I understand Savage is in... that was just an example for the point im trying to make. Let's break it down a little..

Weller- limited upside, average at best output. Richo has seen fit to give him a million chances after shocking performances week in week out.

Savage- no upside, not AFL quality. Its like he is Richos number 23, the first bloke he will bring in for an injured or suspended player even though he is pathetic at AFL level every time he gets a chance. Give up Richo he is a VFL player and that is it.

DMac- shows signs but isn't quiet ready, debatable if he will make it. But I would rather take a flyer on him as at least he possibly had a future.

Rice- nice prospect who has shown a bit at VFL level. Seems Richo is scared to play him. May be making him demand a game which is kinda fair. But how's about giving the kid a chance. Could not hurt considering he plays in the same position as VFL Savage.

Acres- has a few bad games and is dropped, even though he has unlimited potential and could turn out to be a star.

Paddy- number 1 draft pick, concussion issues, tank issues. Even so he is a huge part of the future of this club. Key position players take a long time and the key to that is to get games into him. But again it seems as though Richo is scared to play him. We need to show some faith in him or IMO risk hindering his development and shooting him and our future in the foot.

Long- has a lot of weapons that could see him become a very good AFL player, is raw, hasn't set the VFL on fire but what's the harm in giving the guy a chance. Can't do much worse than Weller, Savage and Lonie.

Longer- if he is our best answer in the ruck we are in a lot of strife.

I understand I'm ranting/ melting but it's just so frustrating. It's about a flag and the future! IMO if we don't blood our young talent and keep giving games to guys with no upside through fear of exposing them or losing a slight margin of output we are severly jeopardizing our future. Which worrys the shite out of me.

Backlash expected, welcomed and probably brushed aside. Go Saints

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bit harsh saying Sav is Richos 23 he's hardly played this year, a couple of early games.

He has been amazing this year , I wrote him off at the end of last year , now I'm worried if he's going to miss a game . Just shows how quickly it can turn around . Maybe Dunstan will be the same next year ?
Hope you're right about Dunstan but i just don't see it, imo he doesn't have the tools for todays game if we could get late 2nd rounder for him jump at it and grab Rocky as a FA

Plus we have been saying maybe next year with Dunstan for 3 years now

Acres has never been 'regularly in our best players', he was going along okay with small cameos every now and again and there were just other people performing worse than him. He deserved to be dropped, and he didn't deserve to come back this week.

If you step away from your Acres obsession you will see that other players are warranting selection over a guy who occasionally does something, but really wasnt having any influence over the game in his last few outings. He was given some opportunities in the seniors to influence the contest, but did so has been sent to the VFL to work on those things.

And seriously, people need to get over their Billy bashing. Despite the consent fapping over the Freo ruckman on the fox footy commentary may have you believe, Billy won the hit-outs by 15 and stepped up in the last quarter to help us dominate the clearances when the game was up for grabs. Yeah, he could do more around the ground but isnt it nice having a ruckman play well in actual ruck contests? None of the other ruckman are doing anything in the VFL to warrant selection, but nah, lets drop the guy who has helped our clearance work dramatically improve for players struggling to get a hitout at VFl level.

I thought I read Hickey had 50 hit outs last week against Preuss the guy lots of people want from Norff , Hickey also had lots of disposals, was a bit surprised that wasn't enough . Maybe they had already made enough changes .

Look at that pearl of wisdom from an Adelaide supporter (she probably doesn't want to Google club ghekko). The first response is from a Sydney supporter I'm guessing she's not aware of micky o's case that the club had to open the cheque book on
Some people are pathetic. Social media has became me a platform for **** wits unfortunately.

Some people are pathetic. Social media has became me a platform for **** wits unfortunately.
It's absolutely vile isn't it. I mean who in the hell brings up a case that was last in the media years ago, on a day where the loss of Riewoldts sister is being remembered. It must be an incredibly hard day for them but they're in the spot light pushing through to help other people other there suffering through the same condition. But to bring that up publicly. I hope the Riewoldts don't end up seeing that nor any one of maddie friends

I think it's pretty clear Long isnt up to it at AFL level at present

I'm pretty pumped to have Longy back in the team. Loved the way that he hunted the opposition in the pre season.

If his pressure is up then it will go a long way to making our forward pressure the relentless beast that it was a few months ago.

This time last season Sav was 100% in our best 22. He's no lockdown defender but at his best he's a weapon off half back & a goal kicker when played up the ground. Great to see him back after paying his penance for some sub par performances.

Dmac' debut year showed that the kid had bucketloads of courage, a burst of much needed pace & could deliver the ball effectively despite the awkward action. Injury & illness has no doubt held back his development to an extent but he no doubt has the talent to be a very good player.

I suppose we can spend two days bagging selection decisions (I'm still unhappy that Blacres is out) or we can look at what the 3 inclusions bring the the team. They add serous toe for one thing and will all be desperate to stay in the side now they have a chance.

I'm always bemused by supporters making blanket statements like 'not an AFL standard'. As we've seen with Billings this season & JWeb over a number of seasons, players develop and mature at vastly different rates. JB was written off as a dud only a few months ago & now the same supporters are flogging themselves over him. Jimmy was mentioned as a potential delisting by a few last season... now, we're all nervous what his absence will mean to our defence. He's become almost irreplaceable.

All 3 guys who have come back in have been through rough patches & now have another chance. At their best they all offer us something that will go a long way to beating the black & yellow plodders.

I'm very confident about tonight, if Dusty has his usual quiet game against us again, we'll go a long way to knocking them over. Kick straight & we'll do it comfortably.

Saints by 23

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm pretty pumped to have Longy back in the team. Loved the way that he hunted the opposition in the pre season.

If his pressure is up then it will go a long way to making our forward pressure the relentless beast that it was a few months ago.

This time last season Sav was 100% in our best 22. He's no lockdown defender but at his best he's a weapon off half back & a goal kicker when played up the ground. Great to see him back after paying his penance for some sub par performances.

Dmac' debut year showed that the kid had bucketloads of courage, a burst of much needed pace & could deliver the ball effectively despite the awkward action. Injury & illness has no doubt held back his development to an extent but he no doubt has the talent to be a very good player.

I suppose we can spend two days bagging selection decisions (I'm still unhappy that Blacres is out) or we can look at what the 3 inclusions bring the the team. They add serous toe for one thing and will all be desperate to stay in the side now they have a chance.

I'm always bemused by supporters making blanket statements like 'not an AFL standard'. As we've seen with Billings this season & JWeb over a number of seasons, players develop and mature at vastly different rates. JB was written off as a dud only a few months ago & now the same supporters are flogging themselves over him. Jimmy was mentioned as a potential delisting by a few last season... now, we're all nervous what his absence will mean to our defence. He's become almost irreplaceable.

All 3 guys who have come back in have been through rough patches & now have another chance. At their best they all offer us something that will go a long way to beating the black & yellow plodders.

I'm very confident about tonight, if Dusty has his usual quiet game against us again, we'll go a long way to knocking them over. Kick straight & we'll do it comfortably.

Saints by 23

Saints by 23

Lets get it done lads.

I am sure longy will get similar number of disposals as weller. Anything extra will be confident booster for him.

Sav needs some game time in senior and maybe change his role, on wing or HF.

Mackenzie needs some confidence that he belongs at AFL.

Big win tonite will create a belief in our team.

#HowIWantToBe

Hope you're right about Dunstan but i just don't see it, imo he doesn't have the tools for todays game if we could get late 2nd rounder for him jump at it and grab Rocky as a FA

Plus we have been saying maybe next year with Dunstan for 3 years now
Lucky's issue is his tank, pure and simple. For half a game, he's terrific. The big question is whether he can build that tank up to be at that quality for a while game. If he can, awesome. A secondary question is WHERE does he build that tank, and should it be at the Zebras.

I'm getting a little toey about tonight.....hate losing to the Tigers.

We won that awful game at the G late last year but prior to that.they'd had the wood on us for the previous 4 years.

This is the biggest build up for a home game since the last Maddie Match in 2015...let's hope we salute in this one.

Hopefully we get a crowd bigger than the one against the Blues last year...47K....which surprised everyone.

Hoping longy puts in a cracker of a game......JB too.

GO SAINTS.

Pre scotch prediction: lots of pre game love for nick and jack. Hoping it clicks forward of center and we kick straight. Roo to kick 3 and take 15 marks in a dominate display around the ground as our link up man. Expecting lots of dash with the named squad and we should be too quick under the roof in the only sat night game of the round.
Saints by 30.
Also, this doesnt happen without the tigers - maddies match I mean - so props to the Richmond administration and supporters for getting behind this. Let's get a massive crowd and a ripping game with no injuries to either team.

I think that our game is pretty good at the moment. We are falling down with our goal kicking. We need to have a good game soon in terms of goal conversion, otherwise I fear the pressure on the team from media, etc will become too much towards the end of the year. IF we do make the 8, it could be a real issue under finals pressure. We just need the goal kicking confidence to turn around and I think we can back ourselves against any team in the comp.
In saying all that, I think Jimmy not playing is a massive out. Our game relies a lot on Jake and Robbo intercepting and then Jimmy carving through our half back line with his accurate kicking. He kicks it low and fast meaning the next player gets a short time advantage on his opponent. When Joey kicks it, he kicks his rainmaking high kicks that take too long to "land" at the target. (Think a punter in NFL. They rely on the hang time in the air for their defence to run at the receiver)
Hopefully Sav can replace Jimmy to a degree and we can get our counter attack game going against the Tigers who have some quick players running through the middle.
Huge game in terms of our season tonight! I hope Roo can pull a rabbit out and have an impact in Maddies match for obvious reasons. He would have to consider the possibility it could be his last.
C'mon Sainters! Do it for Maddie and do it for yourselves. Hopefully they are sharp from the outset, kick straight and can really launch for the rest of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back