News Suns to make AFL debut against Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

GC have the bye round 1 and were originally going to play Richmond in Round 2, Richmond have since signed a deal to play a home game against GC in Cairns so we are playing them instead.

..thanks.. ..i remember reading about them playing tigers.. ..was aware of the tigers home-away deal up north, didn't consider it may/would alter fixture..

Well 2 biggest interstate crowd drawers are us and the Pies...putting them against the Pies in their first game would be painful, so I guess we were the logical choice.

Bit of a danger game, but we should be looking at a massive percentage boost along with a 2-0 start :)

I wouldn't take this game lightly, because as has been said, they are complete unknowns to us, so we can't plan for them. I really don't want our club to go down in the record books as the team that Gold Coast won their first game against. It sucks that the game is at the Gabba, because I doubt I will be able to get up there for that game, considering that I am saving for a trip up there in Feb.

Weakness shmeakness. You'll walk all over them.

50 percent of the team will never have played a senior AFL match before (not including NAB cup). A side with effectively 11 debutants, one of them a Rugby League player. :eek:
Adelaide smashed Hawthorn by 86 points at Football Park in their first ever game.

Round 1 1991

Shit happens.

Think the AFL soon realized that televising any game involving Richmond is potentially seriously detrimental to the AFL brand and a huge mistake, especially with all the attention surrounding the debut of the 2nd Brisbane Lions team. Everyone seems to want a piece of the famous Carlton brand don't they. We have the biggest Australia-wide supporter base and the AFL knows it.

:)

Think the AFL soon realized that televising any game involving Richmond is potentially seriously detrimental to the AFL brand and a huge mistake, especially with all the attention surrounding the debut of the 2nd Brisbane Lions team. Everyone seems to want a piece of the famous Carlton brand don't they. We have the biggest Australia-wide supporter base and the AFL knows it.

Umm Collingwood?

Umm Collingwood?

Interstate we have the Pies covered. e.g. 3rd biggest supported AFL club in WA. Australia-wide our supporter base is unmatched. The Pies target the feral demographic in Victoria exceedingly well - hard to beat their overall Victorian attendances. The Pies gutter culture makes them a perfect fit for their target audience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're having your birthday at Visy? Is that bogan or cool?

who says they're mutually exclusive?

Bogan%20200%20x%20200.gif

should be a good game for the coasters. We're not collingwood, but we're not exactly west coast at the moment either. So the game should be semi decent at best. Good games gor kreuzer to ease his way back in to the side, and still have warnock first ruck.

Again, not Collingwood, but we still draw a decent crowd interstate so id expect a full on gabba crowd.

Finally it gets one of our traveling matches out of the way nice and early.

Out of interest, what is the record of expansion clubs in their first game in the league? I have a vague recollection that the Bears won against all odds. And the Crows thrashed the reigning premiers in their first match. Not sure about the rest though?

West Coast d Richmond by 14 points (Richmond made the finals in 1987)
The club's first official home and away match at Subiaco Oval against Richmond on 29 March 1987 was played before a respectable crowd of 23,897. The fledgling Eagles, down by 33 points at the final change, somehow managed to outscore the visiting and tiring Tigers nine goals to one in the final term to run out 14 point winners – a club record last quarter comeback that lasted until round 10 of 2006

In round 1, 1995 Richmond defeated Fremantle at the MCG. (26000 people). This was Fremantles first official league match.

On 29 March 1997, Port Adelaide played its first match for AFL premiership points against Collingwood at the MCG, suffering a 79 point defeat.

Brisbane won their first and second games in 1987.
As a result, there was general surprise if not shock when this rag-tag band of cast-offs, widely tipped to finish last, won their first game against North Melbourne at the MCG in the first round of 1987. They also won their second game, against Geelong at Kardinia Park, leading to much optimism. After five rounds they had won three games. However, as the season progressed the players' inexperience became more and more apparent, sliding to the bottom of the ladder by Round 20. In the final round they won a playoff with Richmond to avoid the wooden spoon in their first season, finishing with six wins.

Adelaide won their first game v hawthorn in 1991, lost to carlton in the second week.

3-2 in favour of the non victorian franchises.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Suns to make AFL debut against Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back