Autopsy Swans by 79 over North

Remove this Banner Ad

Ha, it was actually good to watch Sheldrick vs Phillips.

Phillips had the better of it - but I took solace in the fact that:

(a) it was great to see Gus back; and
(b) North viewed Gus as the man they needed to contain, even after such a long injury lay-off.
…. and if Gus (and occasionally Cleary) didn’t take Phillips, Errol would have had to.

He’s a really good club man that Gus.

Some heartening love between The Chad and Horse after the game. Great crowd love for Parks and Heens.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Doesn't really matter about top spot its top 2 that matters, but the same parameters apply to guarantee top 2

No, we can comfortably lose 4 and still get second. If anything, 16-7 probably still gets us first. Teams closest to us are all very likely to lose at least one more game. Maybe one of our nearest rivals somehow goes undefeated, but even that seems unlikely.

Second would be a bit of a disaster though. It would mean we're limping into the finals in terrible form, having been chased down from an almost unassailable position. Anything but a minor premiership would have to be considered a failure from here.

Last edited:
No, we can comfortably lose 4 and still get second. If anything, 16-7 probably still gets us first. Teams closest to us are all very likely to lose at least one more game. Maybe one of our nearest rivals somehow goes undefeated, but even that seems unlikely.

Second would be a bit of a disaster though. It would mean we're limping into the finals in terrible form, having been chased down from an almost unassailable position. Anything but a minor premiership would have to be considered a failure from here.
I think we could loose 4 and still get it because they will drop games but i was talking in terms of definites and there is still a 1-2% chance that loosing 4 of the last 6 leaves us open to finishing 3rd

Great call. The noise around him is massive and he got a real reality check, he’s just a rookie with a bit of talent who’s done nothing.
Definitely got a wake up call the young fella.. looked very slow at times and got hunted down and hit hard, particularly when he was caught on his left.

Certainly looks to have a bit of a JPK mould but has a bit to work on.. Hope he learns from it!

we've won more games by being a better side ... we built up that three-game lead because no other team has been as good or as consistent
results in recent weeks, and indeed over the weeks leading into finals, will reflect the element of pressure building up on all those teams vying for, first, places in the top eight, and second, places in the top four
luck plays its part in individual moments and individual games, but i don't think luck, overall, has anything to do with us being where we are on the ladder relative to any other team

also, it seems incongruous, but two of our three losses were against teams now in the bottom four ... we have beaten all the contending teams we've played, that's also not luck
I didn’t say we weren’t a better side - we are a good side. I still believe that buffer is important AND the others were closing in on that buffer. Yesterdays results were very much in our favour to maintain that 3 game advantage.

Swans only won the clearances by 4, yet scored 12.5 to 2.1 from clearances.

That's incredible efficiency.

I bolded the "only" there, because I think having any sort of victory in a clearance regard over a midfield headed by Xerri, Davies-Uniacke, Wardlaw, Simpkin - a group that isn't to be sneezed at, and that killed us in the corresponding game last year - deserves to be recognised.

And shoutout to Jake Lloyd for 4 clearances yesterday, the most he's had in a game since 2017!

Swans only won the clearances by 4, yet scored 12.5 to 2.1 from clearances.

That's incredible efficiency.

I bolded the "only" there, because I think having any sort of victory in a clearance regard over a midfield headed by Xerri, Davies-Uniacke, Wardlaw, Simpkin - a group that isn't to be sneezed at, and that killed us in the corresponding game last year - deserves to be recognised.

And shoutout to Jake Lloyd for 4 clearances yesterday, the most he's had in a game since 2017!
We have always been a side that is soo damaging on the outside that we don't need to win clearances and could be a -1 average differential and still win but now we are so damaging from clearances itself alongside on the outside that we just need to be roughly even possessions wise and/or clearances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fun fact Sam Reid spent 20 minutes of each game in the defensive 50 :)
Yes Reid is a versatile player and a premiership winning centre half forward.

Just goes to show how well Amartey is tracking this year when benchmarked against a premiership hero.

We have always been a side that is soo damaging on the outside that we don't need to win clearances and could be a -1 average differential and still win but now we are so damaging from clearances itself alongside on the outside that we just need to be roughly even possessions wise and/or clearances.
Spot on IMO.

I meant that the team gets a monetary bonus?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They changed it last year to award the club that had the best aggregate winning position across the AFL and AFLW. It wasn't especially warmly received so I'm not sure if they've stuck with this again for 2024.

If they have, the lads will need Chloe, Montana, Ally and friends to chime in if they want to collect.

A thousand pardons oh Ticky one…

I prostrate my self before the carpet of Grundy and pray all his chest hairs lay the same way.🙏
Myself and everyone around me at the game yesterday collectively held our breaths when he was curled up on the ground for what was actually only seconds - but felt like an hour . There was a very audible gasp when he got up and jogged off to the next boundary throw in.

Myself and everyone around me at the game yesterday collectively held our breaths when he was curled up on the ground for what was actually only seconds - but felt like an hour . There was a very audible gasp when he got up and jogged off to the next boundary throw in.
In a 100k homes in 10k towns. 👍

They changed it last year to award the club that had the best aggregate winning position across the AFL and AFLW. It wasn't especially warmly received so I'm not sure if they've stuck with this again for 2024.

If they have, the lads will need Chloe, Montana, Ally and friends to chime in if they want to collect.

This is immeasurably stupid.

This is immeasurably stupid.

Well, if the clubs don't like it and it's immeasurably stupid - you bet your bottom dollar the AFL hierarchy just love it!

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Swans by 79 over North

Remove this Banner Ad

Back