Analysis Swans General Performance 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I have too. But I'm worried about tickets. I'm not premiership club.

Even if I can't attend the match just going to the Parade and being there will be good, I hope. Not sure where will be the Plan B for watching: the Riser? Federation Square??
Sorry, I have no idea where to watch it... check with some of our Melbourne fans, I'm a few hours north of Sydney.

I'm not sure what to do about premiership club, call them would be my first thing and ask if you can get it now?

Also I'd start a thread where members who have premiership club, but can't use them for some reason... can offer them up to other Swans fans... the quicker the thread is started, the earlier you'll be on the list...

Good luck!

View attachment 2029586

This is how the tickets are allocated... so if you don't have a membership club, you'll be competing for the 2 and 7, approx. 12k of seats..

EDIT: Source: https://resources.afl.com.au/afl/do...0d2/2024-AFL-Grand-Final-Ticketing-Scheme.pdf
I don't think the category 2 and 7 tickets are really available for the public. They're more for players and officials of the 18 clubs, with an extra allocation (family, friends of players) for the two competing clubs. I've heard of some players selling their tickets, but I suspect that falls foul of the rules around resale. Regardless, it will only be a handful that are moved on from that source.

Yeah, based on Horses history I don't know if we'll see players get rested. I could definitely see them using an early sub if we're well up but I'd be surprised if Horse starting giving Heeney, Gulden, Warner, Blakey etc a week off.

Who knows though? We've never really been in this position so come round 18 or so we might start seeing these guys have a week off with 'hamstring awareness' or 'sprained ankles'

longmire: you're aware you have hamstrings, right?
gulden: uh, yeah ...
longmire: right, that's it, week off

I said after the grand final it felt like we were 2years too early. Looking to be spot on. Amazing the development we've had since then

i am certain the hard lessons learned on that awful day, backed up by hard lessons learned during the turmoil of the first half of last season, really toughened up our younger players ... the evidence is in their ability this season to overcome almost every challenge that crops up during games

i am certain the hard lessons learned on that awful day, backed up by hard lessons learned during the turmoil of the first half of last season, really toughened up our younger players ... the evidence is in their ability this season to overcome almost every challenge that crops up during games
I think our relative youth in that 2022 GF probably helps. I think an older group filled with veterans would probably find it hard to rebound from a GF belting. It'd be like they've spent all those years trying to get to the top of the mountain and failing to do so would take the air out of their tyres.

A lot of our boys only being 21, 22, 23, 24 when they were belted in a GF probably made it a lot easier for them to maintain their optimism. They have their whole careers ahead of them still, so that one bad game doesn't have to be the peak for them. And in turn, their optimism has probably rubbed off on the older guys like Rampe, Lloyd, Cunningham etc., who are closer to the end of their careers than the beginning, and helped keep their eyes on the prize in their twilight years.

I think our relative youth in that 2022 GF probably helps. I think an older group filled with veterans would probably find it hard to rebound from a GF belting. It'd be like they've spent all those years trying to get to the top of the mountain and failing to do so would take the air out of their tyres.

A lot of our boys only being 21, 22, 23, 24 when they were belted in a GF probably made it a lot easier for them to maintain their optimism. They have their whole careers ahead of them still, so that one bad game doesn't have to be the peak for them. And in turn, their optimism has probably rubbed off on the older guys like Rampe, Lloyd, Cunningham etc., who are closer to the end of their careers than the beginning, and helped keep their eyes on the prize in their twilight years.
Gotta feel for Rampe. He's made 3 Grand Finals and all have been a loss. Very hopeful we can get him the W should we make the 4th one

How does everyone think we are going at the moment?

Asking that as a genuine question, not a rhetorical one.

We're beating quality teams still, just like we were at the start of the year. We're winning by similar margins and kicking similar scores to what we were at the start of the year. It could be argued our midfield is even better now than it was at the start of the year. And the form of most of our players is arguably getting even better than it was at the start of the year. But something just feels... off?

Is it just that I've gotten so used to us winning and winning comfortably, beating quality teams, and kicking big scores fast that now when it happens it doesn't feel as impressive, even though it really is? Is it the sense that there's this inevitable, impending loss that's making everything we do feel like it's on shaky ground and we're on borrowed time? Are our lapses in games, such as our first quarters recently, or our second half on the weekend, getting worse, or do they just seem like that because I'm looking for cracks? Am I simply daunted by the prospect of daring to dream that we could really have this dominant home and away season?

I have no idea, hence me asking to see if anyone else has this slightly uneasy feeling. It feels like it could be rooted in something, or it could be rooted in absolutely nothing.

We're beating quality teams still, just like we were at the start of the year. We're winning by similar margins and kicking similar scores to what we were at the start of the year. It could be argued our midfield is even better now than it was at the start of the year. And the form of most of our players is arguably getting even better than it was at the start of the year. But something just feels... off?

Is it just that I've gotten so used to us winning and winning comfortably, beating quality teams, and kicking big scores fast that now when it happens it doesn't feel as impressive, even though it really is? Is it the sense that there's this inevitable, impending loss that's making everything we do feel like it's on shaky ground and we're on borrowed time? Are our lapses in games, such as our first quarters recently, or our second half on the weekend, getting worse, or do they just seem like that because I'm looking for cracks? Am I simply daunted by the prospect of daring to dream that we could really have this dominant home and away season?

I have no idea, hence me asking to see if anyone else has this slightly uneasy feeling. It feels like it could be rooted in something, or it could be rooted in absolutely nothing.

This is the Swans, we aren't used to being this good

I like this post. IMHO It’s natural for the boys to turn on the afterburners when needed and back off when they don’t. Champions win the clutch moments.

No point going full tilt when you’ve got it won.

I think there is massive self belief and camaraderie with this group, it feels special.

I hope they view each game as a challenge but also have an eye to the finals.

There’s no way we’ve seen the best of the swans this year and frankly I hope we don’t until the finals.

So I like seeing us have things to work on each week and that is very much the rhetoric among the boys.

Doing enough to win in the home and say is fine by me.

Personally, I think we are going to go to another level come finals. Much like Geelong did in 2022.

I like fast players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's called PTSD, 3 consecutive losing grand finals can have that effect on people.

In seriousness, I think we're going great. I'd like to see us put in a couple of outrageously dominant performances by the end of the H&A season, as in 100+ point wins. But overall, I think we're getting the job done. We've been playing good opponents and have been able to put them to the sword.

I'm not overly concerned with the lapses either, it seems to be the way of modern footy. A team can dominate and be 50 up, then their opponent can gain momentum and cut the deficit back below 20. I'm seeing it consistently across the league.

We've risen to every challenge so far, we've gone up a gear during games against top 8 sides and they haven't been able to go with us. I don't think there's much more the team could've done to prove their credentials.

I'm just a little anxious about finals. I just hope the team continue to get the job done on the big stage, especially if we make it to the GF.

Last edited:
I don't think there's much more the team could've done to prove their credentials.
This is the key. And I know it. It's 100% a case of it's not you, it's me. You would think the more they win, the more they'd earn my trust. Instead my brain is saying the more they win, the more due things are to fall apart!

Gotta just try to enjoy it, whatever 'it' amounts to!

This is the key. And I know it. It's 100% a case of it's not you, it's me. You would think the more they win, the more they'd earn my trust. Instead my brain is saying the more they win, the more due things are to fall apart!

Gotta just try to enjoy it, whatever 'it' amounts to!
Yeah, I know I certainly have those 3 grand final losses in the back of my mind. Settling into my seat, anxiously awaiting my team to hoist up the trophy at the end of the match, only to have my hopes crushed.

But I feel like I just need to remind myself to enjoy each game because the team are putting together a special season. I hope it culminates in us holding the trophy at the end of the grand final. But I don't want to ruin what is shaping up to be a special season, by dwelling on the chance that we may stumble at the last hurdle.

For the most part, I'm just loving what the swans are doing each week. Trying to enjoy the moments as they come.

I think the more we go like we are the more we just have to win or we won't hear the end of it. We also will feel we failed and wasted it.

Also the longer it goes you just can't afford to have that bad month the premiers often have.

When GWS kicked a few goals I still had the oh no here we go feeling, BUT the more I see this playing group the more convinced I am that they don't have these feelings at all. They think they are winning every game .

But let's be honest as much as we love the club, we lose more than we win, so that's our default as fans.

I am also in the "trying to enjoy each win" camp.

I feel I want us to physically dominate like other teams have done to us. Instead we are dominating with supreme skill and collective will, getting the most out of everyone on the park.

Beautiful to watch those bursts of champagne football and yet the wins are a bit GroundHog Day... Oppo loses a key player before or early in game (ruptured testicle FFS!), Swans miss some chances, Oppo kicks some easy and some arsey goals. BIink a couple of times and the game is over. Worry about a comeback until "goals and minutes" well and truly covered. Go home and watch the replay to find the bits I missed. Watch Horse's presser and start worrying about the next week's opposition.

it's definitely a question worth asking and a debate worth having at this stage of this strange and wonderful (for now!) season

i think a lot of my own uneasiness now is on the expectation that has built up with each win ... and it's been referred to in many posts in recent weeks, so i know most of us feel that ...
a lot of that is related to the mainstream football media's apparent determination to dismiss or undermine what seems obvious to every football fan ... that this swans team is, at this point in the season, quite clearly the best team (or maybe it would be better described for now as the team playing the best football) ...
as is regularly pointed out, we seem to be putting games away with not much more than one quarter (or in the case of the dogs game, about 10 minutes) of utter dominance, of brilliant attacking football, whether we give away a multi-goal start or, as was the case against the giants, knocking them out of the game either side of halftime, then simply managing it from there
the fact remains, as longmire has pointed at, this team can overcome different challenges and win games in different ways

the scary flipside of that (for other teams more than for swans fans) is what happens if and when we do manage to put together two or three periods of that kind of superior football in any one game? ... which is where the excitement starts to bubble up, and the lid really does go flying!

the pessimist in me (read: normal swans fan) keeps expecting us to hit hurdles, lose form, lose games, cop injuries ... we all know the story ...
yet what we're going through is unprecedented ... this team seems to defy basically all of the swans' modern history

the optimist in me (most normal swans fans won't relate to that term) wonders, geez, if we really do have improvement to come, if we really can start turning one dominant quarter into two or more, then give us the flag now, because there is no team who will stop us

i have always privately yearned for a swans team to dominate the league (as essendon, brisbane, hawthorn, geelong and richmond have done), but it starts with one premiership, not simply a great winning streak (st kilda, anyone?)
what's most deflating is to recall that all those great sides (erk! i feel a bit nauseous saying that) enjoyed ongoing lavish praise in the media, whereas we seem to mostly cop backhanded compliments or the now constant "have they peaked?"

of course, when we get to finals football it takes just one game ... and that will remain the fear until we're on the dais after that last game in september

it starts with that first premiership, and this season it really does seem it's ours to lose ... which leads me back to the original question of that uneasiness ...
we're all aware of our dark recent history in grand finals, which, like everything else, will linger over us until we claim the ultimate prize

there's a range of other issues, mostly to do with the club retaining our remarkable list of outstanding young talent, and while that is cause for considerable disquiet, it surely is secondary to the quest for a premiership

and then after all of that, i think in particular of errol gulden ... there's something about him this season, in his quest to play 100% of a game, in his relentless energy, in his ridiculous maturity in a kid young enough to be my grandson ... there's a sense this unique player simply refuses to accept defeat, not just in any game but in any contest during a game ... he's imbued with the spirit of paul kelly, of adam goodes, of brett kirk, et al ... he will not allow us to be knocked off our path to what hopefully is this team's destiny, and he is inspiring his teammates ... and us

anyway ... now i'm off to get the paper, coffee and some tasty cookies

• We are clearly better after 14 rounds than our competitors but leading by three matches and stacks of % is an exaggeration
  • A squiz at the injury list of others reminds me how fortunate we have been thus far.
  • In a 18 team comp where talent is stretched too far, a healthy list is important for every club
  • We have a poor record in playing injured players esp in GFs. I do not trust Horse as far as I can throw him in selecting injured players (yesterday he under played a knock Heeney copped v the Crows. I thought Isaac was less than his dynamic self v GWS. With our lead on the ladder rest the guy)
  • I am really enjoying watching us week to week but not looking ahead too far. Have ticked off us making the 8 and all going right I soon might get to tick off us making top 4 and then top 2.
  • Our style(s) are just fun to watch. Grundy is the designer pea for the Sydney pod. At CBs and other stoppages we are now getting a balance of clearances and turnovers. Our running, links between players, system and above all the best kicking I have ever seen is just a delight.
  • Our backline is a worker collective where a helping set of hands is always on hand. Our forward line of Aldi no name brand talls and smalls bar Papley functions bloody well. They delight in each others success as much as their own, including the three star goal kicking mids.
  • So to answer the question, we are going as well as I have ever seen a Bloods team.

it's definitely a question worth asking and a debate worth having at this stage of this strange and wonderful (for now!) season

i think a lot of my own uneasiness now is on the expectation that has built up with each win ... and it's been referred to in many posts in recent weeks, so i know most of us feel that ...
a lot of that is related to the mainstream football media's apparent determination to dismiss or undermine what seems obvious to every football fan ... that this swans team is, at this point in the season, quite clearly the best team (or maybe it would be better described for now as the team playing the best football) ...
as is regularly pointed out, we seem to be putting games away with not much more than one quarter (or in the case of the dogs game, about 10 minutes) of utter dominance, of brilliant attacking football, whether we give away a multi-goal start or, as was the case against the giants, knocking them out of the game either side of halftime, then simply managing it from there
the fact remains, as longmire has pointed at, this team can overcome different challenges and win games in different ways

the scary flipside of that (for other teams more than for swans fans) is what happens if and when we do manage to put together two or three periods of that kind of superior football in any one game? ... which is where the excitement starts to bubble up, and the lid really does go flying!

the pessimist in me (read: normal swans fan) keeps expecting us to hit hurdles, lose form, lose games, cop injuries ... we all know the story ...
yet what we're going through is unprecedented ... this team seems to defy basically all of the swans' modern history

the optimist in me (most normal swans fans won't relate to that term) wonders, geez, if we really do have improvement to come, if we really can start turning one dominant quarter into two or more, then give us the flag now, because there is no team who will stop us

i have always privately yearned for a swans team to dominate the league (as essendon, brisbane, hawthorn, geelong and richmond have done), but it starts with one premiership, not simply a great winning streak (st kilda, anyone?)
what's most deflating is to recall that all those great sides (erk! i feel a bit nauseous saying that) enjoyed ongoing lavish praise in the media, whereas we seem to mostly cop backhanded compliments or the now constant "have they peaked?"

of course, when we get to finals football it takes just one game ... and that will remain the fear until we're on the dais after that last game in september

it starts with that first premiership, and this season it really does seem it's ours to lose ... which leads me back to the original question of that uneasiness ...
we're all aware of our dark recent history in grand finals, which, like everything else, will linger over us until we claim the ultimate prize

there's a range of other issues, mostly to do with the club retaining our remarkable list of outstanding young talent, and while that is cause for considerable disquiet, it surely is secondary to the quest for a premiership

and then after all of that, i think in particular of errol gulden ... there's something about him this season, in his quest to play 100% of a game, in his relentless energy, in his ridiculous maturity in a kid young enough to be my grandson ... there's a sense this unique player simply refuses to accept defeat, not just in any game but in any contest during a game ... he's imbued with the spirit of paul kelly, of adam goodes, of brett kirk, et al ... he will not allow us to be knocked off our path to what hopefully is this team's destiny, and he is inspiring his teammates ... and us

I enjoyed reading everyone's responses. A common thread seems to be weariness about being able to close it out in the grand final, given our history in that regard. To be honest, I don't think I'm even contemplating the grand final yet. I'm still wanting us just to see the home and away season out! I'd hate to see a Port-circa-2014 style capitulation in the second half of the season. They were two games clear on top of the ladder in round 12 and outside of the top 4 by round 17.

Things can fall apart so quickly and losing can become just as infectious as winning.

I feel like this year we've had a few bursts of incredible performances followed by short slumps. The first three games of the season were ballistic, then we hit the Richmond & West Coast games. We bounced back after that with another run of quality games til we got to the Bulldogs just before the bye, which felt like another mini-slump. And since the bye, it's hard to get a read on whether we're in a slump or not, because each game since has been a tale of two halves in a way.

I think I just need a good, solid four quarter performance where we keep at it and don't have the proverbial bus parked to reassure me.

I enjoyed reading everyone's responses. A common thread seems to be weariness about being able to close it out in the grand final, given our history in that regard. To be honest, I don't think I'm even contemplating the grand final yet. I'm still wanting us just to see the home and away season out! I'd hate to see a Port-circa-2014 style capitulation in the second half of the season. They were two games clear on top of the ladder in round 12 and outside of the top 4 by round 17.

Things can fall apart so quickly and losing can become just as infectious as winning.

I feel like this year we've had a few bursts of incredible performances followed by short slumps. The first three games of the season were ballistic, then we hit the Richmond & West Coast games. We bounced back after that with another run of quality games til we got to the Bulldogs just before the bye, which felt like another mini-slump. And since the bye, it's hard to get a read on whether we're in a slump or not, because each game since has been a tale of two halves in a way.

I think I just need a good, solid four quarter performance where we keep at it and don't have the proverbial bus parked to reassure me.

i think the west coast game doesn't get the credit it deserves ... after the richmond disappointment we had to travel to perth, and played a team that probably turned its season around a bit with a very feisty effort against us, and most of us were a bit flat afterwards ... and certainly the media downgraded us for several weeks after that and the richmond game
most of our wins since then have carried that trademark of only needing a quarter of good football to secure victory
even the dogs game really only carries a question mark because of the hypotheticals surrounding richards' injury and the kerfuffle over the late 50m decision
we won that by 14 points, our smallest winning margin
yes, i am well aware things can change quickly, and even just one defeat can have a psychological effect that would need to be countered
but all of that also backs up the argument that we have a whole lot of improvement in us, and i believe longmire and his crew know that ...
and at this point in the debate i think it's worth paying tribute to our coaching team too

Hope you enjoyed those cookies Hypno, you deserved them - great post and summed up my feelings precisely.

I feel like the "4 quarter effort" is this mythical thing that doesn't happen in modern footy.

Even the shittiest side gets its "turn" of momentum usually, teams go for it in terms of full on pace and pressure in bursts. It's who can do it more often and more effectively.

You do get the odd one like Lions v Power where its total dominance all day, but even then the first quarter was 35-20 hardly a predictor for the dominance to come.

Our win v the Eagles last year another 4 quarter one.

I think modern footy is about the team that takes its chances and is able to convert when it has the game and score quickly. Then it's the team that switches and minimises damage when the other team gets its "turn.

I would say we have been playing the modern four quarter effort of going when we can and holding and stopping the pace /minimising damage when it's recovery or absorbing time.

Or I am just full of shit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back