Analysis Swans General Performance 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

The ultimate rope a dope. Gift some strategic losses to lesser opponents so the real players like dogs and blues slip down the ladder.

When others see capitulation, I see masterful strategy.

Happy to buy any GF tix.

Yours in speed, JHWF.

The ultimate rope a dope. Gift some strategic losses to lesser opponents so the real players like dogs and blues slip down the ladder.

When others see capitulation, I see masterful strategy.

Happy to buy any GF tix.

Yours in speed, JHWF.
Somebody better tell the coach and players about this masterful strategy and remind them that still need to win a couple of games to secure a top 4 position. They'll also need some of that speed of yours.

So I’ll put this in a Melbourne cup analogy.

We got a great start and were 10 lengths in front without having to crack the whip. Horses behind us have jostled hard for position and copped a few checks.

We have taken a chill pill and have come back to the field and are now a length in front rounding the straight, without using up much juice.

They say the Melbourne cup winner emerges as they reach the clock tower. We’re nowhere near that point yet.

So, would you rather be leading without using much juice or jostling to get a run out of the pack ?

I like fast players.

So I’ll put this in a Melbourne cup analogy.

We got a great start and were 10 lengths in front without having to crack the whip. Horses behind us have jostled hard for position and copped a few checks.

We have taken a chill pill and have come back to the field and are now a length in front rounding the straight, without using up much juice.

They say the Melbourne cup winner emerges as they reach the clock tower. We’re nowhere near that point yet.

So, would you rather be leading without using much juice or jostling to get a run out of the pack ?

I like fast players.

Somehow i dont think losing by 112 is the plan :tearsofjoy:

Everyone online seems to think just chuck Parker and Adams at the centre bounce

I don't get why going super slow will help.

If anything put Blakey and Gulden in with rowbottom and let's run run run and dark the two old farts out of the side

Everyone online seems to think just chuck Parker and Adams at the centre bounce

I don't get why going super slow will help.

If anything put Blakey and Gulden in with rowbottom and let's run run run and dark the two old farts out of the side

Giants using bedford and brent daniels in the midfield

Even chucked in a bloke called peatling

Why cant we have wicks or jordon play permanent mid if not blakey

Even put florent back there

Thats changing it up not just swinging logan into defence as the only move

So after this round,

Teams 1-5 are outside of VIC and Team 6 is non-Melbourne.

What an awesome outcome.

Oh, forgot to mention that we are still top of the table, in case anyone has forgotten this important fact.

I’d say things are going just swimmingly.

I like fast players.

It’s not hard to work out.

Now the field is closer, boys will wake up as need to turn it on for a win or 2. They will, just wait and see. If not this game then the final 2 matches.

They’ll enter the finals having played some bruise free footy and won’t have to leave the scg until GF day. Then it’s Catch a few waves for the bye week, then straight back into win mode.

Form is temporary but class is permanent.

Another friendly observation from JHWF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goodness me. If Wicks to midfield is the answer, then I don't want to know what the question is, or what prompted it. We may as well just give up now if that is the solution to our problems.

James peatling is a spud at gws and they put him mids and hes actually hunting and getting ball as a faster player

Tom green and their traditional mids that you would say are their A tier players are doing f all

Wicks plays mid in the VFL anyway

James peatling is a spud at gws and they put him mids and hes actually hunting and getting ball as a faster player

Tom green and their traditional mids that you would say are their A tier players are doing f all

Wicks plays mid in the VFL anyway
Wicks plays mid in the VFL.

Doesn’t mean he’s a good midfielder.

We have been bad over the last 2 weeks, and we have a lot to work on before finals, but to add some perspective, we've just gone through the toughest 3 weeks possible. The Port game was a complete capitulation. And the dogs had our measure across the ground. We battled well against the Lions but they also had our measure.

If we can rediscover our form, we're a genuine contender. That's a big if. And I wouldn't put us ahead of either of the 3 teams we've played in the last 3 weeks, so the group are going to have to find something extra if they want to go all the way.

We start by winning our last 3 H&A games, built on toughness, manic pressure, and playing for eachother. Execute on that, and we're a long way there, and if we fall short having given it our best, then thats all you can ask for. But another capitulation on the big stage and I don't know where to from there.

Screenshot_20240807_102640_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
One thing the current Swans don't do well despite mostly winning the last few years is get the pace out of a game when needed.

They get run down or nipped in close ones a bit the last few years- just held on the prelim as teams keep coming and the panic sort of sets in? decision making is long down the line etc.

I mean the premiership Swans side could defend a 4 point lead for a week🤣.

Also when the teams start to flog us we don't slow it down at all and it builds and builds.

Like heck me get some uncontested footy and possession going , boring I know , but we used to be too far at controlling tempo and slowing down, the current team can't do it at all.

One thing the current Swans don't do well despite mostly winning the last few years is get the pace out of a game when needed.

They get run down or nipped in close ones a bit the last few years- just held on the prelim as teams keep coming and the panic sort of sets in? decision making is long down the line etc.

Also when the teams start to flog us we don't slow it down at all and it builds and builds.

Like heck me get some uncontested footy and possession going , boring I know , but we used to be too far at controlling tempo and slowing down, the current team can't do it at all.
That's a fair criticism and there's definitely something in it. One of the hardest things to do is to halt momentum when the other team has it, that's not just Aussie rules, it's all sports. It's a situation that can only be solved by fighting fire with fire imo.

If a team is coming at you, and you try to alter your game to play keepings off, you end up going into a stagnant style of play, and if you fail to prevent the other team scoring and then need to gain back the lead, it's much harder to transition back into an attacking style. So for me, if another team lifts, you just need to lift even more and apply more pressure to them until they break, rather than letting them break you. Sort of like 2 heavyweights just going at it punch for punch until one gets knocked out.

Only the best sides can do that, so if we're finding ourselves in that position then we need to get better. We need a good game plan in place and strategy to address those moments. Our players need to be mentally tough and resilient in those moments and we need to be able to outpressure and outwork our opponent.

I actually see it a bit the other way around.

When oppositions come hard at us, we tend to stop running & instead, chip it wide & then bomb down the wing .... which usually results in a turnover and even more pressure.

Sure, there's a time to play tempo footy, but quite often the best form of defence is attack.

I actually see it a bit the other way around.

When oppositions come hard at us, we tend to stop running & instead, chip it wide & then bomb down the wing .... which usually results in a turnover and even more pressure.

Sure, there's a time to play tempo footy, but quite often the best form of defence is attack.

Well we stop dead nowadays and don't chip effectively imo.

We just don't really do either fast or slow we just stop dead and confused and turn it over?

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Swans General Performance 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back