Analysis Swans General Performance 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Teams have blocked the corridor so we swap to go wide but other teams are ready for that and know we'll break with enough pressure

I know this sounds dumb and I am working so can't be bothered thinking too much.

But it's just odd teams are let's take x away from Sydney= game over.

Why don't we take something away from others 😂

Even when we were at our best earlier in the year. There were times where teams would step up defensively and break down our attack. And we'd leak a few goals. But through weight of numbers, we kept knocking on the door until eventually, their defence could no longer contain our attack, and that's when we scored heavily and broke the game open. Until our opponent was able to stop the bleeding.

That was built on our mids being more dominant, on our attack being executed a little more cleanly and with players applying significant pressure to the opposition.

Our mids haven't been as dominant. Our pressure has been average at best, and our execution in attack has been poor quite regularly. So the 3 of those aspects combined have resulted in our poor form in recent weeks.

For me, it starts with pressure. We can't guarantee our midfield will dominate, we should be executing in attack, but if we get the pressure right across the ground, that's half the battle won. We close down the space of our opponents, making their disposals less effective, making the defensive work of those down stream easier, and it compounds into a turnover.

Fail to pressure adequately and and each possession in the chain becomes easier to execute and it ends with silver service to a leading forward with their defender a step behind.

Win the pressure battle and you give your teammates more room to operate which boosts their effectiveness and suddenly the forays forward look effortless.

I know this sounds dumb and I am working so can't be bothered thinking too much.

But it's just odd teams are let's take x away from Sydney= game over.

Why don't we take something away from others 😂
Now that is a good question! I think we did that sometimes through the season, looking at how Jordon tagged out Walsh in the Carlton game in particular. But we also seemed (to our benefit as well pre-bye) to play to our plans and strategies in going forward which worked really well

Turns out, clinging on to Heeney and Rowbottom is not only allowed by umpiring but the perfect way to stop them from getting space and once that happens, our midfield falls apart and pressure ensues from there.

Even when we were at our best earlier in the year. There were times where teams would step up defensively and break down our attack. And we'd leak a few goals. But through weight of numbers, we kept knocking on the door until eventually, their defence could no longer contain our attack, and that's when we scored heavily and broke the game open. Until our opponent was able to stop the bleeding.

That was built on our mids being more dominant, on our attack being executed a little more cleanly and with players applying significant pressure to the opposition.

Our mids haven't been as dominant. Our pressure has been average at best, and our execution in attack has been poor quite regularly. So the 3 of those aspects combined have resulted in our poor form in recent weeks.

For me, it starts with pressure. We can't guarantee our midfield will dominate, we should be executing in attack, but if we get the pressure right across the ground, that's half the battle won. We close down the space of our opponents, making their disposals less effective, making the defensive work of those down stream easier, and it compounds into a turnover.

Fail to pressure adequately and and each possession in the chain becomes easier to execute and it ends with silver service to a leading forward with their defender a step behind.

Win the pressure battle and you give your teammates more room to operate which boosts their effectiveness and suddenly the forays forward look effortless.

Yep it didnt matter because we were averaging something absurd like 110pts a game a large majority of that score was not from stoppages but from TURNOVERS (meaning our pressure was right up) that is our game the moment it drops off we lose our best avenue to scoring.

Now that is a good question! I think we did that sometimes through the season, looking at how Jordon tagged out Walsh in the Carlton game in particular. But we also seemed (to our benefit as well pre-bye) to play to our plans and strategies in going forward which worked really well

Turns out, clinging on to Heeney and Rowbottom is not only allowed by umpiring but the perfect way to stop them from getting space and once that happens, our midfield falls apart and pressure ensues from there.

I also dont get all the talks how we have been worked out in the space of half a season where everybody knew how Richmond/Geelong play for the last 5 years.

I also dont get all the talks how we have been worked out in the space of half a season where everybody knew how Richmond/Geelong play for the last 5 years.
Probably because they were better/more consistent/adapted easier than us. We always lose the same way since 2019: getting smacked and bullied in the midfield and not being able to rebound from D50 cleanly

Probably because they were better/more consistent/adapted easier than us. We always lose the same way since 2019: getting smacked and bullied in the midfield and not being able to rebound from D50 cleanly

This current Swans side wipes the floor with talent compared to that Richmond side.

However this Swans side doesnt function as a team anywhere near as well as that Richmond team.

Yep, this.
I've never kicked a ball in anger or played anywhere near top level competitive sport of any kind in my life, so I really am talking out my backside, but I'm certain that if we can get the pressure back up and maintain it like we were earlier in the season, everything else will fall into place.

Yep, this.
I've never kicked a ball in anger or played anywhere near top level competitive sport of any kind in my life, so I really am talking out my backside, but I'm certain that if we can get the pressure back up and maintain it like we were earlier in the season, everything else will fall into place.
That's right. It may sound cliche but the boys really need to cut it down to the basics. They need to sit down and really think about what got them into the position of being 3 or 4 games cleared with a percentage of 150. That doesn't happen by accident. You cannot fluke that. Yes, we got a couple of injuries, but the current problem is not down to that. It is all between the ears. That is a good thing in my opinion. Perhaps the players need to gather together and really voice out to eachother what the problem is and what they want to achieve this year. This can only be turned around by the players. They have worked way too hard to piss it all down the drain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s a very simple contrast of burning platform vs burning desire.

Under burning platform, your hand is forced, you must respond as the world’s crashing around you, or else.

Burning desire is finding the will when you don’t really need to.

It is easier to effect change when there’s a burning platform, much harder to create burning desire.

The good news is we are getting closer to a burning platform for the next 3 weeks so I expect a response.

Burning desire and burning platform will come after the break when the flag is within sight.

In short, no need to push it yet, guaranteed 2nd on Friday even with a loss.

Human psychology tips proudly brought to you by JHWF.

I have a gut feeling that about 6 weeks ago the umpiring changed in a way that meant Swans players heads were not being protected. At the time I remarked to my wife that I thought the AFL were "nobbling the favourites".

The Blakey incident against Brisbane confirmed this in my mind.

I have no proof, just seems that way.

I think the players felt the change too and it has worn them down.

Call me paranoid. Just saying.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Been thinking about this a bit more.
Our first quarters have been shite because our pressure is down. Everyone knows this.
So Horse revs up the boys to put in immense pressure in the first. The players go out intent on pressuring but playing footy takes second place.
And maybe that's the problem. My abiding memory of the Dogs and Port games is 3 or 4 of us chasing 1 of them. We are so intent on pressure we get sucked in to the contest. They keep their width and we then chase. They are so far away our chase is ineffective, so there is no pressure.
In a weird way our intent to pressure reduces pressure.
We have turned this around in the second quarters, but against Port they were so far ahead, and our pressure stats so low the cycle repeated itself.
Maybe we need to reduce the emphasis on pressure but hunt the ball instead, keeping our structure. Our players inside and outside are then available to pressure or attack.

Another thing to put our recent run into perspective. We're missing two of our top 5 attacking players, making us a little less dynamic, and making it easier for opposition coaches to target the remaining 3, putting additional pressure on them and making them less effective.

Score involvements:
1723077507661.png

Love it when a good plan comes together.

✅ training block complete - taper just starting
✅ top 2 lock
✅ tried out players in different positions, can now settle the team structure
✅ key players coming back at the rate of 1 a week
✅ can safely rest the weary eg Grundy
✅ finals like hitout v Pies, win a close one
✅ main threats have peaked too early
✅ about to get our second wind

Every week will see different things click, culminating in peak performance for the grand final.

What fun it will be in the lead up to finals, knowing we won’t travel until the GF.

The door is always open to the JHWF school of positive thinking.

Love it when a good plan comes together.

✅ training block complete - taper just starting
✅ top 2 lock
✅ tried out players in different positions, can now settle the team structure
✅ key players coming back at the rate of 1 a week
✅ can safely rest the weary eg Grundy
✅ finals like hitout v Pies, win a close one
✅ main threats have peaked too early
✅ about to get our second wind

Every week will see different things click, culminating in peak performance for the grand final.

What fun it will be in the lead up to finals, knowing we won’t travel until the GF.

The door is always open to the JHWF school of positive thinking.
I commend your commitment to optimism.

I wonder if the teams panick against Port and Horse's loss for words were all part of this master plan?

One thing I will say. Is that the footy gods have been kind to us this season. For a team that went 1-5 over the last 6 weeks. And were 3.5 quarters away from throwing our #1 spot down the drain. GWS came through with the goods and kept the Lions a game back.

Minor premiership is all but secured, not that we did ourselves any favours.

The flag is still there to be won. And it's just about anyone's atm.

Last edited:
I commend your commitment to optimism.

I wonder if the teams panick against Port and Horse's loss for words were all part of this master plan?
I think they were willing to sacrifice for the greater good, that is training blocks and rest/rotation for a few losses.

The risk is you never know how each individual comes out of the training block and you risk losing the chemistry which made you successful in the first place. Players have been exhausted but as Bonz has said before, they eventually start improving and finish with a better fitness base.

Going through a rough patch is better now than later and we’ve mixed up a few positions to see how they go - something we would not have known if we just stuck with the same plan.

Injuries aren’t great but we’ve probably just reverted to the mean like other clubs and a bit of adversity pre finals can only be beneficial.

The ladder below us is playing every game like a final and we’ve now seen some upsets this round.

Hats off to trying something different, I do believe it will help us in finals as the pieces which made us successful start clicking week by week.

Form is temporary but class is permanent.

I like fast players.

Agreed, if we did have a training block. We absolutely botched it up.

Still haven't sorted out our dysfunctional forward line, continued to run our midfield into the ground until they were leaking clearances against every midfield bar North's.

Copped a bunch of injuries.

And our structures completely fell apart.

We saw our sizeable gap on the league evaporate over 6 weeks to the point we had to come back from a 27 point deficit half way through the 4th quarter against the pies to hold onto top spot.

Throughout the last 3 games, players were looking at each other like wtf is happening. The coach had no clue when asked how to correct the teams performance.

If that was the plan. Horse is an absolute masochist.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Swans General Performance 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back