Analysis Swans General Performance 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

And now the purveyors of probability have the Swans as outright premiership favourites.

I read into this that just one burst of heeney and Chad is all it takes to be on top. But we have so much more than that to give.

Like I’ve said for a while now, styling it on top whilst others crash around us.

We are about to start our finals campaign, whilst everyone else started theirs weeks ago.

The hunted about to become the hunter.

Another I told you so post from JHWF.

And now the purveyors of probability have the Swans as outright premiership favourites.

I read into this that just one burst of heeney and Chad is all it takes to be on top. But we have so much more than that to give.

Like I’ve said for a while now, styling it on top whilst others crash around us.

We are about to start our finals campaign, whilst everyone else started theirs weeks ago.

Ah JHWF, your posts are always so bright and cheery, you always make me smile ☺️

We were back to being fast in the last 12 mins. I hope this continues

Our movement from a kicking had improved against the Pies but still needs to get better. When there is no clear option we bomb it to the wing. The opposition know this and put their best marking options there which is why we get caught out.

To be fair every afl side does this

However we mostly use the congested side of the ground rather than the more open wing

Hard balance if you get open side wrong the oppo will most likely score

Oh how the mighty have fallen this weekend.

But one team stands peerless, atop the ladder. Whilst many are going backwards week on week, one team starts its charge.

It was always going to be this way.

Sorry I’ve got to cut this post short as I’ve run out of popcorn for the crows v dogs.

Back in a flash, I like fast players.

At the pointy end of the season, there are several questions I wish to pose:

1) Was the Q4 v Pies a flash in the pan or the start of our re-emergence as a premiership threat?

2) If we win v Essendon, do we rest players in the last round or is 2 weeks off too long

3) Do Papley and McInerney come straight back in for our first final? Papley I would but McInerney's game is built on running so would it be a big risk given his extended time off his legs and not running?

4) Can we find another way beyond our big 3? Are there goals in our forward line and can our defence hold, especially against the likes of GWS and Hawks?

1) Was the Q4 v Pies a flash in the pan or the start of our re-emergence as a premiership threat?

2) If we win v Essendon, do we rest players in the last round or is 2 weeks off too long

3) Do Papley and McInerney come straight back in for our first final? Papley I would but McInerney's game is built on running so would it be a big risk given his extended time off his legs and not running?

4) Can we find another way beyond our big 3? Are there goals in our forward line and can our defence hold, especially against the likes of GWS and Hawks?
1. Flash in the pan
2. 2 weeks is too long
3. Yes. JMac will most likely depend when he can do full running again
4. Defense will only hold with elite midfield pressure and unless McDonald enters an untapped God mode (Amartey's 9 was more from horrific Crows defense) we didn't know he has, we will have to keep sides below 75 to win

1. Flash in the pan
2. 2 weeks is too long
3. Yes. JMac will most likely depend when he can do full running again
4. Defense will only hold with elite midfield pressure and unless McDonald enters an untapped God mode (Amartey's 9 was more from horrific Crows defense) we didn't know he has, we will have to keep sides below 75 to win
I so hope you are wrong about 1 but am worried you could be correct..........

1) We are a premiership threat. But so are 5 other clubs. Main question is whether we have a game style that can cope with finals pressure. I'm not sure we do.

2) Horse showed a willingness to "rest" Armatey (assuming it wasn't code for omitted) - so it wouldn't surprise if Grundy had 2 weeks off.

3) Yes.

4) No. Our forward line isn't strong. Our back 6 will do a solid job as always, but our success or otherwise depends entirely upon the midfield. For what its worth - we won't play Hawthorn. They'll go out first week of finals.

Our three talls despite some recent downs/injuries/moves back have kicked 91 between them , they aren't useless.

The midfield rightly get a lot of credit when we win, but a lot of the struggles in recent times were because the midfield weren't doing shit, but we blame the forwards.

Our best is the best in it by a mile, we need to be at our best though, we have seen what our worst looks like.

But we are the least flawed side in contention.

Our three talls despite some recent downs/injuries/moves back have kicked 91 between them , they aren't useless.

The midfield rightly get a lot of credit when we win, but a lot of the struggles in recent times were because the midfield weren't doing shit, but we blame the forwards.

Our best is the best in it by a mile, we need to be at our best though, we have seen what our worst looks like.

But we are the least flawed side in contention.

Yep point 3 is absolute is it gone for good? or can we find even 80% of that form which would be enough for a flag.

Ironically we have the best and worst performances for the season its quite peculiar

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep point 3 is absolute is it gone for good? or can we find even 80% of that form which would be enough for a flag.

Ironically we have the best and worst performances for the season its quite peculiar

Plenty of sides have that same question mark.

1) We are a premiership threat. But so are 5 other clubs. Main question is whether we have a game style that can cope with finals pressure. I'm not sure we do.

2) Horse showed a willingness to "rest" Armatey (assuming it wasn't code for omitted) - so it wouldn't surprise if Grundy had 2 weeks off.

3) Yes.

4) No. Our forward line isn't strong. Our back 6 will do a solid job as always, but our success or otherwise depends entirely upon the midfield. For what its worth - we won't play Hawthorn. They'll go out first week of finals.
During our best period this year we proved we weren't a flash in the pan and actually found different ways to win whilst adjusting to what the opposition was throwing at us in game. Genuinely felt like we transcended into a truly dominant team. So I think our game style has the ability to cope with anything - it comes down to application. Whatever has happened to us over the past month is what has dented our confidence. Just need everyone to freshen up and buy back into what we had going.

Hopefully this win was a circuit breaker, because if we find that form we had mid season we'll win the premiership in a canter.

Last edited:

Great questions.
1. I would have said flash in the pan if the five goals had been lucky or scrambled goals, but they weren't. Yes there was an element of luck (as all goals are) but there was also great ball movement, incredible skills and sheer hard work involved which bodes well for mine.
2. No. I'm not a big one on resting, though I think Grundy looks like he needs it, his tap is still superb but he's not jumping like he was.
If we rest in the the last round, that's two weeks off and then if we win the first final, that will be one game in a month, no where near enough.
If we are going to rest anyone, rest this week where we still have a home game left to make up if needed and the tired players aren't travelling.
3. Yep, we just have too.
4. I agree with HRH, the forwards are fine when the midfield is working.

Question leading into finals. If all players are fit, who is best 22, who starts sub and who misses out.

Players ordered by games played. 22 players listed before the space
orange highlight - have started sub
yellow highlight - likely to be considered

1723435501940.png

I have a feeling the consensus will be Mills in, Campbell out, Parker the sub. Fox stiff to miss out.

I personally want Parker to start, and I'd want to find a place for Fox in the team (even if it were sub), but it's challenging working out who would come out to accommodate him.

Question leading into finals. If all players are fit, who is best 22, who starts sub and who misses out.

View attachment 2077099
My best finals 22

B Rampe Melican Cunningham
HB Blakey McCartin Roberts
C Gulden Warner McInerney
HF Hayward McDonald Jordan
F Papley Amartey Parker
Foll Grundy Heeney Rowie
Int Mills Lloyd Mclean Florent
Sub Fox
Notable omissions Adams Campbell Francis Ladhams Wicks Sheldrick Cleary Warner jnr

View attachment 2077099
You'll get some interesting responses.
I'm assuming that Melican and Papley are available but McInerney isn't.
FB Cunningham McCartin Rampe
HB Florent Melican Blakey
C Gulden Warner Lloyd
HF Jordon McDonald Adams
FF Hayward Amartey Papley
R Grundy Heeney Rowbottom
IC Roberts McLean Mills Parker
Sub Fox
Not how the team sheet will appear but thems the cattle.
Jordon on Merrett.
We won't rest anybody unless injured.

Assuming everyone is fit seems dangerous 🤣.

Well Wicks is out for 4 weeks

I can't see Fox starting on field at the moment.

Papley may force Parker to the sub role , depends how he goes the last 2 who knows.

Roberts has been great the last few but had faded and was maybe a chance to miss, so it can change quick.

If Paps Melican and Jmac were fit Friday I think

Fox, Cleary and Campbell out

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Swans General Performance 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back