News Swans Talk in the Media: 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Announcement: Swans YouTube Channel
So thanks to the awesome Kennedy Parker you will notice a sticky post at the top of the pages now. This link will take you directly to the Swans YouTube channel which features interviews etc.

Simple really. The AFL make an Edict that anyone booing Adam Goodes will be expelled from the ground immediately as a racist taunt. If we are compelled to expel the whole crowd we will.

Booing would end that weekend and if It didn't then the next step would be to prevent that teams supporters to attend for the following week until the message is accepted and compliance given.

We as a society need zero tolerance for racists. Stomp on it I say

Disagree. As Adam said himself education is the best tool. No1 responds well to confrontation. Sadly some high level people in society knows this & this is why they continue in a confrontational way. It keeps them in employment.

I dare anyone to find a press release, interview or speech in which Adam was confrontational. Some of the things may have surprised people but it was not confrontational.

Like I say there are parts of society that make good money off of inflaming this issue. They don’t want it to resolve.

I say call it out and educate.

Disagree. As Adam said himself education is the best tool. No1 responds well to confrontation. Sadly some high level people in society knows this & this is why they continue in a confrontational way. It keeps them in employment.

I dare anyone to find a press release, interview or speech in which Adam was confrontational. Some of the things may have surprised people but it was not confrontational.

Like I say there are parts of society that make good money off of inflaming this issue. They don’t want it to resolve.

I say call it out and educate.

Lumumba calling it out got him nowhere. Eddie Buckley and co just ignored him. Same too to some extent by Adam. Sometimes it's only the severity of consequences that changes behaviour. Agree to disagree

Lumumba calling it out got him nowhere. Eddie Buckley and co just ignored him. Same too to some extent by Adam. Sometimes it's only the severity of consequences that changes behaviour. Agree to disagree
Disagree. It got the desired result. McGuire is not at Collingwood anymore and a report backed up what he said. It also highlighted issues to society. More people side with him now than previously. And as for Adam he’s done everything perfectly to highlight issues in the AFL. Look at what people have come out and said about Watsons comments. 20 years ago a lot of higher up people would agreed with him. He’ll be judged on the right side of history. The tide will turn.

All good though, cheers👍

The vast majority of supporters and sadly the AFL itself were racist. Not at all surprising he now rejects them. You cant allow them to do as they did and then be complicit by accepting HOF induction. Well done Adam.

the thread on the main board dragged out the usual ignorant fckng clowns trying to justify or excuse the booing ... it was somewhat disturbing trying to read through some of the comments ... one particular troglodyte cited the likes of selwood and judd being booed like goodes was ... and there was the usual 'why didn't they boo burgoyne/long/winmar/betts/insert indigenous player name?' argument ... still sickens me ... unfortuantely, i can imagine what the likes of sam newman, mcguire et al would be saying among their boys club mates in melbourne
yes, he deserves to be in HOF as a legend of the game, but if it's not what he wants, fine by me ... i don't love the afl enough to care, and certainly don't love the afl hierarchy

the thread on the main board dragged out the usual ignorant fckng clowns trying to justify or excuse the booing ... it was somewhat disturbing trying to read through some of the comments ... one particular troglodyte cited the likes of selwood and judd being booed like goodes was ... and there was the usual 'why didn't they boo burgoyne/long/winmar/betts/insert indigenous player name?' argument ... still sickens me ... unfortuantely, i can imagine what the likes of sam newman, mcguire et al would be saying among their boys club mates in melbourne
yes, he deserves to be in HOF as a legend of the game, but if it's not what he wants, fine by me ... i don't love the afl enough to care, and certainly don't love the afl hierarchy
Trying to justify their behaviour now they’ve realised they joined in to a racist bullying of a few years.

Tim Watson said:

“The damage that occurred at that time, I thought it might have eased on him mentally and he might have been able to repair some of those bridges between himself and the game and feel differently about his time and then just appreciated all the great things about the game that were delivered to him, that he earned for himself."

I see a lot of victim blaming in there like Adam is the issue and he should have worked to repair things. That's the issue in a nutshell. Get stuffed, Tim Watson.

yeah, exactly ... goodes has to 'move on', 'get over it', but the stench of racism lingers through the afl and the wider community ...
and yes, goodes apparently declined this quietly some months ago ... yet it's just become public now, and he's the one accused of grandstanding and attention seeking
and as one poster said, it wouldn't matter what goodes says or does, even now, the same fckwits will still despise him for the same ignorant trash reasons

Lyon didn't say anything wrong . The Murdoch scum in Andrew Bolt , Rita Panahi and Meranda Divine are probably worse than 5 chins

yeah, was just about to bring up the likes of bolt ... he'd love the chance to revisit this, he was one who led the 'this isn't racism' anti-goodes brigade back when it was happening ...

I don't necessarily agree with the aforementioned trio on the Goodes issue but to label them as scum for having an opinion that differs from yours is uncalled for.

If you were to label people as scum who disagreed with you on a given subject matter then everyone would be scum on that basis.

Personally, the people I respect the least over the Goodes issue are the thousands that booed him around the country - they are the biggest offenders for mine.
Not about disagreeing I would think but about the way they framed their views. The way they spoke, their vitriol was dreadful, Bolt in particular knew exactly what he was doing and who he was communicating with his 'commentary he deliberately overlooked facts of the situation to propagate his view and share it with the great unwashed.

JPK talking about Adam, his own form, improvement of the younger players and finals.

"On a personal level and as a club we respect Adam's decision. As far we're concerned, he's a legend of our footy club, he's a legend of the game and he's a legend of a teammate, and really that's all that matters,"

"I'm really grateful again for the continued opportunity, and just to be part of this group going forward, it is an exciting time,"

Kennedy has played 22 finals in his 14 seasons and sees the opportunity for the group to test themselves in September as an important step in their development.

And a special moment from 2012;

TxxghofU.jpg

The simple fact is that Australia wasn't ready for an athlete to call out an Australian kid for calling him an ape. I've often thought that the boofheads who say it isnt about racism its about him calling out a 13 yo girl are the same boofheads that Harry Connick Jnr was calling out years earlier.

My anger and sadness about the whole thing is no less now than it was then but I've seen athletes all over the world now stand with Colin Kaepernick - and it took a number of years before that was viewed as a mainstream viewpoint. I really dont want to revisit it and no doubt neither does Goodes but I'm glad Whately and Robbo both remain in the Goodes camp and it'll be just another example of the boys club that is the AFL

Disagree. It got the desired result. McGuire is not at Collingwood anymore and a report backed up what he said. It also highlighted issues to society. More people side with him now than previously. And as for Adam he’s done everything perfectly to highlight issues in the AFL. Look at what people have come out and said about Watsons comments. 20 years ago a lot of higher up people would agreed with him. He’ll be judged on the right side of history. The tide will turn.

All good though, cheers👍
I agree it got the desired result, but I think it also highlights the need for an institutional mechanism to deal with situations like this. Often when these things go down, it isn't in the best interests of the clubs or afl to be deal with the situation, deal with it in the way it needs to be done. therefore it must be taken out of their hands. (I think this applies to more than just racism)

An example of what I envisage is; player x has something done to him. he goes to the club or the afl and its hushed up. then he may take it to the players union. The players union whether they like it or not, is somewhat intertwined with the afl; for its funding, the players employment,...etc. The players union may not deal with it to a satisfactory level.
I think there needs to be a clause where player x can trigger an independent investigation or action. I understand this wouldn't deal with the what happened to adam goodes but for situations like lamumba or even when the coach at brisbane in the 90s got a rookie beaten up. both times it wasn't in the clubs best interests to deal with it. it needs to be taken out of the afl's hands.
realistically it would never happen, because such a thing would remove power and control from the afl and clubs.

I don't necessarily agree with the aforementioned trio on the Goodes issue but to label them as scum for having an opinion that differs from yours is uncalled for.

If you were to label people as scum who disagreed with you on a given subject matter then everyone would be scum on that basis.

Those 3 are genuine scumbags. Not just on this issue, but in everything they say and stand for. If you really can't see this, you're part of the problem.

Seriously, you don't "necessarily agree" with them on Goodes? Wow. Might as well say what you really think. You know you want to.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree it got the desired result, but I think it also highlights the need for an institutional mechanism to deal with situations like this. Often when these things go down, it isn't in the best interests of the clubs or afl to be deal with the situation, deal with it in the way it needs to be done. therefore it must be taken out of their hands. (I think this applies to more than just racism)

An example of what I envisage is; player x has something done to him. he goes to the club or the afl and its hushed up. then he may take it to the players union. The players union whether they like it or not, is somewhat intertwined with the afl; for its funding, the players employment,...etc. The players union may not deal with it to a satisfactory level.
I think there needs to be a clause where player x can trigger an independent investigation or action. I understand this wouldn't deal with the what happened to adam goodes but for situations like lamumba or even when the coach at brisbane in the 90s got a rookie beaten up. both times it wasn't in the clubs best interests to deal with it. it needs to be taken out of the afl's hands.
realistically it would never happen, because such a thing would remove power and control from the afl and clubs.
I fully agree with an independent mechanism but in all seriousness unless it’s legislated either federally or state by law it’s never going to happen. They AFL like full control of everything even if it means to detriment to other leagues or players.

This is why players end up going to the media. The court of public opinion will always beat them into submission and Adam is the perfect example of this. Like I say a fully independent body that reviews and facilitates a good outcome will never happen imo sadly.

In short the AFL cares about themselves & the bottom line. So they have become control freaks that like to micro manage everything they get their hands on. But like I’ve said in a perfect world I fully agree with what your proposing. 👍

Not about disagreeing I would think but about the way they framed their views. The way they spoke, their vitriol was dreadful, Bolt in particular knew exactly what he was doing and who he was communicating with his 'commentary he deliberately overlooked facts of the situation to propagate his view and share it with the great unwashed.
Not just Goodes. They are scum on any subject you care to name.

This was a really weird take on a rebuild ladder by AFL.com. They have used first and second round picks as the only metric for judging team's rebuilds. This is a flawed logic as it has Gold Coast, Adelaide, North Melbourne, Carlton, Essendon and Fremantle all "closer" to a flag than us, despite them all being outside the top 8 while we are two games clear in it.

Using only first and second round picks also ignores the later selections and rookie picks teams have had, which means they're not taking into account guys like Dawson, Papley, McInerney and Wicks who are key parts of our rebuild.

It's really dumb and also kinda cowardly. They're being paid to be reporters on the AFL site, don't use some basic rigid measure to judge how the teams are going, give us your actual views!

This was a really weird take on a rebuild ladder by AFL.com. They have used first and second round picks as the only metric for judging team's rebuilds. This is a flawed logic as it has Gold Coast, Adelaide, North Melbourne, Carlton, Essendon and Fremantle all "closer" to a flag than us, despite them all being outside the top 8 while we are two games clear in it.

Using only first and second round picks also ignores the later selections and rookie picks teams have had, which means they're not taking into account guys like Dawson, Papley, McInerney and Wicks who are key parts of our rebuild.

It's really dumb and also kinda cowardly. They're being paid to be reporters on the AFL site, don't use some basic rigid measure to judge how the teams are going, give us your actual views!

Someone at AFL media simply has too much time on their hands

It’s AFL.com are you really that surprised. It’s been a fair while now and they still have no idea what a sliding doors moment is.

So you rightly want Adam to be given respect but you can't be bothered giving Lumumba the same.

Of course you'll claim it's different.

Just as the people who claim Goodes brought it on himself.
I know people that were at the Pies with him , he gave himself his own nicknames . He's nothing to do with Adam.

I know people that were at the Pies with him , he gave himself his own nicknames . He's nothing to do with Adam.
More of your bullshit sources. :rolleyes:

As for "He's nothing to do with Adam" perhaps you could identify other players who publicly called out their club with regard to the treatment of Adam as Hertier did with Eddie McGuire in regards to his 'ape' comment?

Lumumba should be praised for standing up for Adam, instead you can't even be bothered giving him the courtesy of referring to him by his chosen name.

More of your bullshit sources. :rolleyes:

As for "He's nothing to do with Adam" perhaps you could identify other players who publicly called out their club with regard to the treatment of Adam as Hertier did with Eddie McGuire in regards to his 'ape' comment?

Lumumba should be praised for standing up for Adam, instead you can't even be bothered giving him the courtesy of referring to him by his chosen name.
Are we allowed to say bullshit these days and i didn't say sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back