Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

29JUN24: Swans Vs Fremantle Match Reports New
So close and yet so far.

Paywalled articles:

Swans talk right at the start

Last edited:

One club president from outside Victoria observed: “You’re treated like it’s the America’s Cup and you’re the challenger.”

But the fact that Sydney played their last home-and-away game for the season at the MCG in round seven and Collingwood play seven of their last eight at the grand final venue underlines the home-ground advantage. While second-placed Carlton play fewer games at the MCG (nine in season ’24) the Blues travel from Melbourne just twice in their last 11 home-and-away games.

The following instances might seem petty, but they are also symbolic. In 2015 West Coast entered the finals as ladder leaders but were placed below Hawthorn on the MCG scoreboard on grand final day with the Hawks also handed first choice of venue for their post-match function.

In 2016 at the grand final parade both handles of the premiership cup were tied with the Bulldogs’ coloured ribbons of red, white and blue. Cup ambassador Michael O’Loughlin asked for one handle to be changed to adorn Sydney’s red and white but was refused.
I actually have a picture of me that day with the Cup and it had BOTH teams colours and it was at Government House before the parade !

01JUL24: Swans Daily Media New
Tadhg Kennelly special guest on this weeks front bar

(Log in to remove this ad.)

David King and his compu-pu-pu-pu-pu-pu-pu-puter games

So his stat is wrong?

We've been saying for weeks we've been starting games slowly and have been winning off bursts of switching it on at the right time.

Clearly we need to rework our game somewhat before hitting finals, and games against the Lions and Pies will show us exactly where we're at.

1 loss isn't the end of the world, but how we are playing this time of year is not what we want to build towards , wins or otherwise. Have to keep evolving as the year goes, fix slow starts , improve other metrics.

So his stat is wrong?

We've been saying for weeks we've been starting games slowly and have been winning off bursts of switching it on at the right time.

Clearly we need to rework our game somewhat before hitting finals, and games against the Lions and Pies will show us exactly where we're at.
I read the article and it says the premiers over the last 5 years were in the top 3 for a key stat. But then seems to contradict itself by saying actually Melbourne were middle of the road in that stat. They did things differently.

No doubt Swans need to improve but it may be a simple statistical occurrence of winning the first quarter.

One thing to remember about stats, they're useful until their not.

Richmond created an entirely new way to win premierships, and Melbourne also broke the mold the opposite way. In the end, I would say our last 6 weeks have been better than our first 10. So if we are looking better, but the stats are going in the other direction, doesn't this means the stats are no longer predicting the right thing?

Richmond created an entirely new way to win premierships, and Melbourne also broke the mold the opposite way. In the end, I would say our last 6 weeks have been better than our first 10. So if we are looking better, but the stats are going in the other direction, doesn't this means the stats are no longer predicting the right thing?

I'm not sure I'd say we're looking better the last 6 given the sorts of deficits we've had to overcome. I thought our most complete performances were arguably our first two.

We're still number one for points from turnover differential. Still killing it in a lot of stats.

I'd be curious to know what the shift but my expectation is we were scoring more from centre breaks and stoppages than we were in previous weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back