Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

As I said, not a fan of Monagle but I thought this bit deserved some thought:
  • Profile photo ofKiamaChris

Richmond beat Sydney earlier in the year by not letting them get a run of goals and by maintaining enough pressure for long enough, for four quarters, so they could try and snatch a victory in the last few minutes. The Swans may have been having a down day, but it worked.
The Giants won two quarters today on the scoreboard, and also broke even in the first quarter, so the Swans basically won the match with a scintillating 40-minutes of frenetic football which reaped ten goals. Having watched the Blues and the Lions this weekend, who both played four quarters of sustained pressure football, with some flair as well, both of these clubs now represent a ‘clear and present danger’ for the Swans, especially if the Swans start to drink their own bath water.
With Sydney kicking ten-straight goals today it masked the problem of the Giants outscoring the Swans eight goals to three to close out the match after the 10-minute mark of the third quarter. The Swans were comprehensively beaten in the last quarter and a bit of the match, and they were unable to stop the Giants during their third and fourth quarter five goal run-on.
Horse didn’t look happy during the game today and it may be for good reason. I reckon Horse did not think this was a ‘super-win’, and given the look on his face, he saw flaws for concern in the Swans game today."
Apologies for my mug in the copy, couldn't get rid of it.
At the game, my son and I were a bit concerned with our reaction when the Giants came back at us. To an extent we reverted to 2023 characteristics. Apparently Horse was also not happy. The "eight goals to three to close out the match" is the thing that concerns me. We have looked incredibly fit so far but last night we didn't. That's what I thought was worthwhile in the review.
Peaked to early?

Peaked to early?
Doubt it but suddenly we looked more like a bunch of individuals. Lost our timing, hands not clean, not trusting our handball. Playing from behind.
More mental than physical to my mind. I couldn't see the box of course from the stand but supposedly Horse was going mental.

Swans talk starts 9:30mins into the video, and as Kane says. Giants talk big before our Derbies but have lost 5 of the last 6.

Someone really pissed in the Mongrel Punts journalist's cornflakes for that article.

Some points in there, definitely. But my word he sounded bitter.

I was very disappointed with Peter Monagle's last Mongrel review of a Swans game and I still don't much like his tone or his writing BUT he actually asks some very valid questions that are worth thinking about. Not to be glossed over.
Sort of? Felt like he was hunting hard for anything different to fill out the article. Claiming things like a brief GWS lead at the start of the 2nd was signs of an upset in the making, or that the Swans are believing their own press, is a fair jump.

It wasn't the Swans best win of the season but if that's the tone we see in future articles I'm not sure he's holding the team to a reasonable standard. A quarter to sort out a counter to the heavy tag/defensive structures, 10 straight goals then easing and giving up some last quarter goals isn't that bad for mid-season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely, very odd for MP.

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk
Perhaps he got some "feedback" on his previous article. I for one gave some. It was way below normal MP quality. I wouldn't be surprised if HB had a word. His site lives and breathes on being so much better than the mainstream.
I don't expect fanboi stuff but read HB's articles and they are very fair, honest and well written. This isn't except for the bit I highlighted.

23JUN24: Brodie Grundy interview/3AW
Narcissist. Roar Rookie as his title. Cited Walsh not playing as an excuse for the Carlton smashing. LMFAO he played the whole game. These dills live in hope.

that is a really bad mistake to make for someone calling himself a reporter
for starters, you'd think he'd have noticed walsh whingeing to the umpires and throwing his hands up squealing for free kicks most of the game ... he didn't do much else

Just opened up the HUN's AFL page online. Not a single story about our amazing domination of the competition. Oh well, shouldn't expect anything more.
What new stuff is there for them to write?

That roar article is a shocker, the negatives are true but the author seems very naive about our 2022 season and how we've added much needed experience this year.

Also there was plenty of chatter before our opening round game that our midfield would get exposed with no parker and mills. We're now sitting 12-1 with still none of them yet to play a game. This years side is far more experienced and mentally tougher than 2022.

What a shocker
"Longmire said before the 2014 GF “it is just another game”. Every other coach he has faced takes a different approach to Grand Finals, and in 2024 I expect will be no different."

Stupid article but I think that's one of our big problems in truth.

That roar article is a shocker, the negatives are true but the author seems very naive about our 2022 season and how we've added much needed experience this year.

Grundy is a huuuge upgrade on Hickey. He couldn't even jump. I'll contend the game would have been a lot closer had we had a fit ruck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back