Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course he was wayy better than our talls but then you weigh up what it would cost for him to move to Sydney and no he wont uproot his life for a 1yr deal on peanuts/list spots are also at a absolute premium.

If we got close yep it would make sense but Lynch would of contributed absolute zilch in the GF.
It cost them nothing to move across to a Melb based club for a final year - but moving to another state is a whole different kettle of fish. I can't blame them for that but media need to get their brains around it when they throw out suggestions like this. He'd be after a Parker like deal of at least 3 yrs.

Paps talking a bit about the GF, and post GF, on his Early Crow podcast:

Interest reaction at 5:45 to question on whether Papley or club would change how they approach a possible future grand final.

Papley winces, then looks up and away, then closes his eyes for a while. Then their is a cut to a new take.

I haven’t seen anyone in the club give a straight answer to this question. Is it that they can’t think of something, don’t know what to change, don’t want to face up to what they might need to change, or know what to change but don’t feel like they can say it?

Interest reaction at 5:45 to question on whether Papley or club would change how they approach a possible future grand final.

Papley winces, then looks up and away, then closes his eyes for a while. Then their is a cut to a new take.

I haven’t seen anyone in the club give a straight answer to this question. Is it that they can’t think of something, don’t know what to change, don’t want to face up to what they might need to change, or know what to change but don’t feel like they can say it?
Club orders not to discuss it

Maybe that they haven't yet conducted the review with the players and agreed what will happen so Paps can't speak for the club or the player group though maybe he would like to.

Because Paps knows the answer is to turn over the list to get rid of an abundance downhill skiers who are all his mates.

Nobody does or will otherwise 2024 would of not occurred after 2022.
Think I've said this before but I feel like it is a really tricky issue we have to overcome, because you can't really address and overcome it until the next time you're in a grand final. And since this GF issue has started, we've averaged nearly one grand final every four years. So it's not like it's a bad loss or a form slump where you can regroup and tackle the issue head on and then come out the following week and exorcise our demons. We can't actually do anything about it or put our lessons to the test until our next grand final appearance rolls around.

Having said that we can't do anything about it, as I've said before I think there were structural and game plan things we could've done better to at least give ourselves a better chance in this year's grand final.

And I'm giving Horse & co some benefit of the doubt re the grand final issue, but they also had every week to do something about the slow starts, and they couldn't do anything about it pretty much all year. So, yeah. Not great.

Think I've said this before but I feel like it is a really tricky issue we have to overcome, because you can't really address and overcome it until the next time you're in a grand final. And since this GF issue has started, we've averaged nearly one grand final every four years. So it's not like it's a bad loss or a form slump where you can regroup and tackle the issue head on and then come out the following week and exorcise our demons. We can't actually do anything about it or put our lessons to the test until our next grand final appearance rolls around.

Having said that we can't do anything about it, as I've said before I think there were structural and game plan things we could've done better to at least give ourselves a better chance in this year's grand final.

And I'm giving Horse & co some benefit of the doubt re the grand final issue, but they also had every week to do something about the slow starts, and they couldn't do anything about it pretty much all year. So, yeah. Not great.

You know without any other factors winning a GF is tough on it's own now add additional circumstances to our 22 and all they will be thinking about is failure and doubt before they take the field.

Not to mention the media reporting around it if Longmire is still coaching us.

Personally it will probably be our best flag ever if we break through with a similar side yes better than 05.

Maturity, focus and having a steely resolve is what it's going to come down to. Not to say that these things were the reason (although i do think so), but it's the way out of it come another GF. The whole group needs to develop the mental maturity to own and be the leader of their individual role in the team, rather than a follower.

I also feel like players feel relieved making the grand final. Need to transform that thinking into it meaning shit all unless they win the final game. Has to be desperation stakes and an absolute given that every player is going to go down to the well one last time. We had too many players who were just hoping their teammates would go down to the well for them. Simply put, the occasion got to them and they were 'hoping' to be premiers rather than actually doing their job.

I don't think it has anything to do with coaching or prep. I think it came down to having a bunch of nervous 'boys' where it needs to be steely 'men' who know what needs to be done to create a legacy for themselves. Fox seems to be the only mature bloke among them, and I think Adam's would have been another. Future success is going to come down to their progression as adults rather than their actual footy imo.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back