Opinion Sydney Swans Academy and Rebuild

Academies, friend or foe

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You get to take both.

You don't bid on Vic kids, you get your draft pick and take them in order, the same with every club.
I don't really care myself, but you more or less saying it's not a benefit is just laughable.

How about we let Vic clubs get 1st dibs on Vic players, you know, that would leave more of the rest for you lot wouldn't it?
That's what you are saying isn't it?
I have no idea what you're talking about.

Of course it's a "benefit" for northern clubs to get locals onto their lists. More aptly it mitigates against a disadvantage though. Just like it's a "benefit" for Vic, SA, WA clubs to have many more locals coming through more established pathways (which you can draft or trade back home later).

But we don't talk about that as a benefit do we.

If the AFL wants to fund and run the northern academies just as well as the clubs do, at some point, well ok, but as it stands we're doing it for them (and the whole league, despite it going over some peoples heads), so there should be a discount and matching process.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Of course it's a "benefit" for northern clubs to get locals onto their lists. More aptly it mitigates against a disadvantage though. Just like it's a benefit for Vic, SA, WA clubs to have many more locals coming through more established pathways (which you can draft or trade back home later).

But we don't talk about that as a benefit do we.

If the AFL wants to fund the northern academies at some point ok, but as it stands we're doing it for them (and the whole league, despite it going over some peoples heads), so there should be a discount and matching process.
What a load of crap.
The AFL do fund those academies, you have been bleeding money from the AFL since you moved to Sydney.

I can almost guarantee that if the northern clubs, with a vested interest in being competitive, weren't running the academies... the traditional states would constantly undermine them and continue to poach back the additional Vic, WA, SA players that the northern clubs have to draft.

I can almost guarantee that if the northern clubs, with a vested interest in being competitive, weren't running the academies... the traditional states would constantly undermine them and continue to poach back the additional Vic, WA, SA players that the northern clubs have to draft.
Tell me something mate.
Why should Sydney who have missed finals 3 times in the last 21 years, get the same benefits as GWS and Gold Coast?

Tell me something mate.
Why should Sydney who have missed finals 3 times in the last 21 years, get the same benefits as GWS and Gold Coast?
So you want to change the rules every year based on prior ladder position?

GC have had extra assistance. Both expansion clubs had extra salary cap / list allowances to get them established.

GWS have made finals 7/9 seasons since first making the 8 in their 5th year of existence.

Very simplistic take.

Everyone benefits from the northern academies because you've got northern clubs taking more local players, many of whom would never be AFL players otherwise, leaving more quality Vic, SA, WA etc players, with longer running draft pathways, for the other teams.

If you don't understand the basic maths behind it, that's not our fault.

At a discount.

And then double dipping trading out decent picks and paying with crap picks plus banking future picks.

It's no wonder they are fighting tooth and nail to keep the advantages they have over other clubs.

If you can't understand why changes are happening. We'll I can't help you.

So you want to change the rules every year based on prior ladder position?

GC have had extra assistance. Both expansion clubs had extra salary cap / list allowances to get them established.

GWS have made finals 7/9 seasons since first making the 8 in their 5th year of existence.
The AFL change rules anytime they feel like it anyway.

Sooner or later it has to turn into a competition, at the moment it's just a who gets what comp, and yes the team I support gets their fair share.

Have a look at teams like North and St.Kilda and tell me you haven't got an edge over them?

They would kill to play finals like you guys do.

No mate, you said you fund the academies, which is crap, the AFL fund them.

That's a different argument altogether.
The AFL funds every team. Each team contributes with memberships, sponsorships etc and other fundraising (which includes us with our academy).

We also run it, which if it's going to be successful, is probably necessary to have a local vested interest. As we can see from this conversation, traditional footy states can be fairly short sighted even for something that benefits them too.

The AFL change rules anytime they feel like it anyway.

Sooner or later it has to turn into a competition, at the moment it's just a who gets what comp, and yes the team I support gets their fair share.

Have a look at teams like North and St.Kilda and tell me you haven't got an edge over them?

They would kill to play finals like you guys do.

If by edge, you mean club professionalism and culture sure. Bigger supporter base too.

Academies are not an advantage. They are mitigating a disadvantage and increasing the numbers of locals and quality players to be picked up by other clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I already listed the big names.

Then listed all the players just from last year alone to show just how difficult it is for the poor little Swans to trade players in. NOT.

Didn't help on Saturday.......but themselves the breaks.

I'm sorry, you listed James Jordon as an example of how easy it is for us to attract talent from Victoria? Are you for real?

I already listed the big names.

Then listed all the players just from last year alone to show just how difficult it is for the poor little Swans to trade players in. NOT.

Didn't help on Saturday.......but themselves the breaks.
Lol. "Just from last year alone"

You must have looked at 2023, had a nap on the down arrow and started looking again a decade earlier, the last time we brought in a big name player.

In the meantime we've lost a Brownlow Medallist, All Australians, future premiership players and (new) club captains to the go home factor in all 3 of the main traditional footy states.

Lol. "Just from last year alone"

You must have looked at 2023, had a nap on the down arrow and started looking again a decade earlier, the last time we brought in a big name player.

In the meantime we've lost a Brownlow Medallist, All Australians, future premiership players and (new) club captains to the go home factor in all 3 of the main traditional footy states.
Can't you just say, "we sometimes win sometimes lose"
It seems it's always "oh poor us"

Tell me, where are players going to go when they leave NSW? it's either Queensland or "footy states"

Every other club loses players also, it's just in Vic for example, we are in a footy state, if we lose a player to a Geelong, no-one cares.

Huh? Where did I say that?

Don't make stuff up just because you tried to selectively represent our trade history based on a single year and then a decade or more earlier, and you got called out on it.

Edit: I see it was a different poster originally. It's still not what I said.

Huh? Where did I say that?

Don't make stuff up just because you tried to selectively represent our trade history based on a single year and then a decade or more earlier, and you got called out on it.
I didn't say anything at all about your trade history.

I said, all your posts come across as poor us posts.

Every club in the league has wins and losses with players wanting trades.

All your posts point to you thinking your club is hard done by.

You have played in 18 finals out of the last 21 seasons, I would say you are looked after.

Tell me, where are players going to go when they leave NSW? it's either Queensland or "footy states"

Every other club loses players also, it's just in Vic for example, we are in a footy state, if we lose a player to a Geelong, no-one cares.
How many players request trades home to nsw?

I didn't say anything at all about your trade history.

I said, all your posts come across as poor us posts.

Every club in the league has wins and losses with players wanting trades.

All your posts point to you thinking your club is hard done by.

You have played in 18 finals out of the last 21 seasons, I would say you are looked after.
Yeah I edited the post before your reply, different poster.

I don't think you're reading my posts.

Keeping the academies, even with some points adjustments, is levelling the playing field.

Removing the northern academies or putting them under the AFL, where they will be further under the negative influence of traditional footy state clubs, is disadvantaging northern clubs (as well as the overall talent pool for everyone, including lower leagues).

Just because you see anything which doesn't directly favour footy states as an advantage for others, is not our fault.

Yeah I edited the post before your reply, different poster.

I don't think you're reading my posts.

Keeping the academies, even with some points adjustments, is levelling the playing field.

Removing the northern academies or putting them under the AFL, where they will be further under the negative influence of traditional footy state clubs, is disadvantaging northern clubs (as well as the overall talent pool for everyone, including lower leagues).

Just because you see anything which doesn't directly favour footy states as an advantage for others, is not our fault.
I really couldn't care less about the academies,i've said this before.

It's you thinking you're hard done by in nearly every post.

Sydney are not hard done by, they are looked after by the AFL, 18 finals in 21 years kinda proves that doesn't it?

I really couldn't care less about the academies,i've said this before.

It's you thinking you're hard done by in nearly every post.

Sydney are not hard done by, they are looked after by the AFL, 18 finals in 21 years kinda proves that doesn't it?
I honestly don't know what you're talking about now.

All I've said is the academies should remain, that they are not a net advantage for northern states, but removing them (which has not been done) would reinstate a disadvantage (just a fact).

If saying I'd like a level playing field and not asking for anything more than we have, even saying points adjustments is fine, is "thinking you're hard done by in nearly every post" then I'd suggest your comprehension (or bias) is the issue.

Anyway, have fun not caring about academies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Sydney Swans Academy and Rebuild

Back