Sydney Team of the 21st Century

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like Hannebery's spot is under threat too as while he was a very good player, very hard at it, his kicking could let him down sometimes.
Massive underselling of Hanners, he has 3x AA, a Rising Star and very stiff not to win a Norm Smith. Of the mids from that era he’s only behind Kennedy.

What about

Sydney
B: Smith, Richards, Roberts-Thompson
HB: McVeigh, C.Bolton, Kennelly
C: Goodes, Jack, Gulden
HF: Papley, Franklin, Heeney
F: O'Loughlin, Hall, O'Keefe
Foll: Ball, Kennedy, Kirk
Int: Parker, Malceski, Warner, Rampe

Might get Lynches but Rampe would be one of my first picked defenders ahead of LRT, Craig Bolton.

Actually maybe recency bias but Grundy is better than both of them as well imo.

Seems odd Ball is our starting ruck but maybe that's right, Jolly was better imo.

Fun times good luck

Something to consider - talent isn't just how exciting a player is to watch, it's what they deliver and how often they perform.

This group haven't performed anywhere near as consistently as some past players perceived as less "talented."

Even this year's All Australians, I might get howled down for this but I think Blakey and Warner for example have played more quarters of mediocre footy than good footy this year.

JPK if he was in this team would be the slowest and least dynamic mid by a mile, but God damn it did he deliver nearly every quarter, nearly every week. Same as Hanners, Grundy, Smith, Bolton, etc.

That is still the challenge for this group.

Might get Lynches but Rampe would be one of my first picked defenders ahead of LRT, Craig Bolton.

Seems odd Ball is our starting ruck but maybe that's right, Jolly was better imo.

Fun times good luck
Depends: is it a grand final? If it is LRT is my first player picked from any Swan ever

Little more recency bias in my team, but I do think we look at the past with a bit too much rose coloured glasses at times.

Sydney
B: Smith, Grundy, Rampe
HB: McVeigh, Richards, Kennelly
C: Goodes, Jack, Gulden
HF: ROK, Franklin, Heeney
F: MOL, Hall, Papley
Foll: Pyke, Kennedy, Parker
Int: Hanners, Malceski, Warner, Barry
Sub: Jetta
Emg: LRT (In case of grand final, Kirk, J Bolton

I feel awful not having Kirk/ Bolton in the team but felt like this squad has the perfect balance. I also think Jetta was an exceptional player for us and versatile, has become underrated in retirement.

The other player I really wanted to fit in was Paul Williams, was a truly brilliant player.

IMO players should only be evaluated for ‘team of the century’ type discussions after they have played for 10+ years.

Too much recency bias, extrapolation and assumptions would apply otherwise.

For example, as good as Warner has been for us I don’t think anyone has him in this team if he ends up playing half his career in WA.

IMO players should only be evaluated for ‘team of the century’ type discussions after they have played for 10+ years.

Too much recency bias, extrapolation and assumptions would apply otherwise.

For example, as good as Warner has been for us I don’t think anyone has him in this team if he ends up playing half his career in WA.

Well Hall played a good chunk of his career away from the Swans, as did a player like Ball. They are still in the team so far.

Well Hall played a good chunk of his career away from the Swans, as did a player like Ball. They are still in the team so far.
Nobody remembers Hall as a Saint or a Bulldog.

Ball I think he plays in a position where there isn’t that much competition this century. We haven’t really had a truly dominant ruck - his only competition would be Jolly, Mumford and Pyke.

Nobody remembers Hall as a Saint or a Bulldog.

Ball I think he plays in a position where there isn’t that much competition this century. We haven’t really had a truly dominant ruck - his only competition would be Jolly, Mumford and Pyke.

Warner is already up to 83 games for us. Assuming no injuries he will reach 100 games for us next year, making his kids eligible to play for the Swans as a F/S/D.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fun times good luck
LRT massive in 2 GRAND FINALS !

LRT massive in 2 GRAND FINALS !

He was for sure , but is he a better player than Dane Rampe? I don't think he is, but maybe I am the only one.

I also think Heath Grundy was one of the best defenders in the game at one stage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney Team of the 21st Century

Remove this Banner Ad

Back