B: N.Smith H.Grundy D.Rampe
HB: T.Kennelly T.Richards L.Barry
C: J.Kennedy A.Goodes L.Parker
HF: K.Jack L.Franklin R.O'Keefe
F: B.McGlynn B.Hall N.Davis
R: M.Pyke J.Bolton D.Hanneberry

Int: L.Jetta J.McVeigh B.Kirk L.Roberts-Thompson

Emg: C.Mills, N.Fosdike, J.Lloyd, C.Bolton

Leaving out Micky O doesn't feel quite right - but such is life.

I was a huge fan of McGlynn - controversial, but I have him ahead of Papley (just).
MOL PLAYED 9 YEARS OF THIS , Nick Davis haha . Some people forget the players that have built this club up , or weren't around at the time

He was the clear standout player in his third season in a team that finished inside the 8.

Look at the AA's we have had in the 21st century.

2000 - O'Loughlin
2003 - Goodes, Williams
2004 - Hall, Kirk, Barry
2005 - Hall, Barry
2006 - C.Bolton, Goodes, Hall, O'Keefe
2009 - C.Bolton, Goodes
2011 - Goodes
2012 - Kennedy, Richards
2013 - Hannebery, Jack, McVeigh
2014 - Franklin, Kennedy, Smith, Malceski
2015 - Hannebery
2016 - Franklin, Hannebery, Kennedy, Parker, Rampe
2017 - Franklin
2018 - Franklin
2021 - Papley
2022 - Heeney, Mills, Papley, Warner
2023 - Gulden

I wouldn't consider Warner yet due to the fact he had a down year, but everyone else on this list should be in the discussion.
Warner and Papley weren't AA last year.

The point I'm making is that one year doesn't make a player. Plenty of players have had great seasons. It's doing it for a number of years that makes you a great player. If it wasn't, then Malceski and Jetta would be in the conversation for best half back and wingman to ever play the game based on their 2014 and 2012 seasons in those positions. The reason they aren't is because there have been others who produced those same kinds of seasons repeatedly over their career.

Oddly enough, I think if you compare our 21st century team with the 21st century teams of the other clubs our forward line is as good, or better than any of them. Buddy, Hall, O'Loughlin, Papley, Davis and O'Keefe. Few teams would be even close to matching that level of power.

Warner and Papley weren't AA last year.

The point I'm making is that one year doesn't make a player. Plenty of players have had great seasons. It's doing it for a number of years that makes you a great player. If it wasn't, then Malceski and Jetta would be in the conversation for best half back and wingman to ever play the game based on their 2014 and 2012 seasons in those positions. The reason they aren't is because there have been others who produced those same kinds of seasons repeatedly over their career.

Whoever made this

stuffed up as according to the AA section they did.

He was the clear standout player in his third season in a team that finished inside the 8.

Look at the AA's we have had in the 21st century.

2000 - O'Loughlin
2003 - Goodes, Williams
2004 - Hall, Kirk, Barry
2005 - Hall, Barry
2006 - C.Bolton, Goodes, Hall, O'Keefe
2009 - C.Bolton, Goodes
2011 - Goodes
2012 - Kennedy, Richards
2013 - Hannebery, Jack, McVeigh
2014 - Franklin, Kennedy, Smith, Malceski
2015 - Hannebery
2016 - Franklin, Hannebery, Kennedy, Parker, Rampe
2017 - Franklin
2018 - Franklin
2021 - Papley
2022 - Heeney, Mills, Papley, Warner
2023 - Gulden

I wouldn't consider Warner yet due to the fact he had a down year, but everyone else on this list should be in the discussion.
Very logical approach. Leaves plenty to discuss for "other" positions.

MOL PLAYED 9 YEARS OF THIS , Nick Davis haha . Some people forget the players that have built this club up , or weren't around at the time
In fairness, I sat in the same seats (Brewongle Concourse) and watched just about every game at the SCG through the first decade of this century. So whilst we disagree, I was certainly around at the time.

Micky O'Loughlin was a crowd favourite and certainly a very, very good player. But Nick Davis, whilst hot & cold, had the ability to turn a game through sheer individual brilliance - the PF against Geelong wasn't the only time he did it.

I'd argue that getting us to a GF (and ultimately a flag) qualifies him as a "player that has built this club up"!

In fairness, I sat in the same seats (Brewongle Concourse) and watched just about every game at the SCG through the first decade of this century. So whilst we disagree, I was certainly around at the time.

Micky O'Loughlin was a crowd favourite and certainly a very, very good player. But Nick Davis, whilst hot & cold, had the ability to turn a game through sheer individual brilliance - the PF against Geelong wasn't the only time he did it.

I'd argue that getting us to a GF (and ultimately a flag) qualifies him as a "player that has built this club up"!
All fair , but too many were better

That's a pretty good effort, RUNVS. I'll nominate Horse as the coach, although Roos would have a fair case to make too.

I'm sad not to see Malceski, possibly he deserves selection in front of Mattner. Also sad not to see Shaw but not sure if I can make a compelling case for his selection.

Stafford would have had a claim on the ruck position except, like Plugger, he mostly played last century. Ball would be a rival. But I'm comfortable with your selection of Jolly.

Instead of Heeney, would you consider Tippett as a back-up ruck and forward? Tippett was actually very good playing that role when he was fit. That also fits with Horse's current preference for three tall forwards.
Just so you know , theres a page for this which is giving some great discussion , always Ball over Jolly

Just so you know , theres a page for this which is giving some great discussion , always Ball over Jolly
Why always bedders? I thought Jolly was outstanding as a ruck and was the last great tap ruck that we had. Fair enough if you rate Ball more but I don't think it's as clear cut between the two.

B: Nick Smith - Leo Barry - Dane Rampe
HB: Tadhg Kennelly - Ted Richards - Nic Malceski
C: Dan Hannebery - Brett Kirk - Stuart Maxfield (c)
HF: Ryan O'Keefe - Lance Franklin - Jude Bolton
F: Tom Papley - Barry Hall - Michael O'Loughlin
R: Jason Ball - Adam Goodes - Josh Kennedy

I/C: Jared Crouch - Luke Parker - Jarrod McVeigh - Craig Bolton

Why always bedders? I thought Jolly was outstanding as a ruck and was the last great tap ruck that we had. Fair enough if you rate Ball more but I don't think it's as clear cut between the two.
But his attitude was shite and Ball was elite on and off . I've watched for along time and he's one of the best i've seen , played 90 games for us . Had to laugh when someone said Stafford.

B: Nick Smith - Leo Barry - Dane Rampe
HB: Tadhg Kennelly - Ted Richards - Nic Malceski
C: Dan Hannebery - Brett Kirk - Stuart Maxfield (c)
HF: Ryan O'Keefe - Lance Franklin - Jude Bolton
F: Tom Papley - Barry Hall - Michael O'Loughlin
R: Jason Ball - Adam Goodes - Josh Kennedy

I/C: Jared Crouch - Luke Parker - Jarrod McVeigh - Craig Bolton
I like the Skipper you have and too many have forgotten what he did for this club.
I HAVE always respected your views and knowledge , but Rampe over LRT WHO WAS IN THE BEST IN 2 Premierships

I like the Skipper you have and too many have forgotten what he did for this club.
I HAVE always respected your views and knowledge , but Rampe over LRT WHO WAS IN THE BEST IN 2 Premierships

Rampe has been consistent his entire career with the club. LRT had periods between the two flags where he was in and out of the side.

The third tall defender position is such a strong position for us, LRT inconsistency ultimately cost him a spot in my team as he had to battle both Rampe and Craig Bolton for the remaining two spots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rampe has been consistent his entire career with the club. LRT had periods between the two flags where he was in and out of the side.

The third tall defender position is such a strong position for us, LRT inconsistency ultimately cost him a spot in my team as he had to battle both Rampe and Craig Bolton for the remaining two spots.
Rampe has been inconsistent as well

Rampe has been inconsistent as well
Has gone through four distinct phases:
Learner general defender
Third tall and exit
Second KPD way undersized
Defensive coordinator and general defender again.
Arguably even five.
Second and third phase he was AA and an absolute GUN. Since then of course he has slipped some. Still very useful though.

Ticky009 and I think she'll be upset if you try to make a move.
Finding Nemo Seagulls GIF

B: Smith, Richards, Rampe
HB: Malceski, C Bolton, Barry
C: Hanners, Parker, Jetta
HF: ROK, Franklin, Jack
F: Mol, Hall, Papley
R: Pyke, Kennedy (C), Goodes
Int: Kirk, Heeney, Llyod, McVeigh
Sub: J Bolton
Emg: LRT (Plays GF though), Mills, H Grundy, Kennelly, Gulden
Coach: Longmire

Wanted Jetta as a pure winger, felt dirty not having J Bolton as a starter.

B: Smith, Richards, Rampe
HB: Malceski, C Bolton, Barry
C: Hanners, Parker, Jetta
HF: ROK, Franklin, Jack
F: Mol, Hall, Papley
R: Pyke, Kennedy (C), Goodes
Int: Kirk, Heeney, Llyod, McVeigh
Sub: J Bolton
Emg: LRT (Plays GF though), Mills, H Grundy, Kennelly, Gulden
Coach: Longmire

Wanted Jetta as a pure winger, felt dirty not having J Bolton as a starter.
Love you mate , but Heeney ffs , he should be put hasn't

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney Team of the 21st Century

Remove this Banner Ad

Back