Talia.... Why isn't he getting the love he deserves?

Remove this Banner Ad

I am a big Davi$ fan but truth be told I am not sure I would now trade Crouch for Philty. Granted that might be due to Talia's great form and Shaw's great promise BUT I would rather have Talia-Shaw-Crouch than Talia-Shaw-Davi$,

This was pretty much Matty's stated premise going into the 09 draft. We need to draft tall because it's going to be much harder to find/replace talls in the climate of GC/GWS's introduction to the AFL.

In the end, instead of being caught wanting, we were able to wear a loss, trade for a less valued commodity, ie a small (which was valuable to us since we'd not drafted many in the interim) and still had a high draft pick tall option to fill in the gap.

This was pretty much Matty's stated premise going into the 09 draft. We need to draft tall because it's going to be much harder to find/replace talls in the climate of GC/GWS's introduction to the AFL.

In the end, instead of being caught wanting, we were able to wear a loss, trade for a less valued commodity, ie a small (which was valuable to us since we'd not drafted many in the interim) and still had a high draft pick tall option to fill in the gap.
Bring back Matthew Rendell! :thumbsu:

This was posted by the Crows Twitter today:

I didn't notice it was him all those times during the game. What a gun.

Definitely seems like they're trying to get the Rising Star judges to take note, rather than just looking at a stats sheet and seeing low possessions.

Talk about putting pressure on a young kid. For my money, Crouch is our natural replacement for Thommo. At 29yr 5mth, Thommo probably has 2-3 years of top level footy left in him, with maybe 1 or 2 at a declining standard. Crouch should be starting to hit his peak around the time that Thommo begins to fall away.

Crouch will be good - very good - but don't expect him to become a star in his first season the way that Judd & Selwood did. Those guys are the exception, not the rule. If Crouch follows a development path similar to Dangerfield's, breaking out in his 4th season**, then I will be a very happy camper indeed.

** Yes, I know this is technically Dangerfield's 5th season. I'm not counting 2008, when he spent almost the entire year at home in Moggs Creek.

Good point and you are right I am getting a little ahead of myself with Crouch. But who knows? Maybe I am not....

I think our list looks better with a bluechip 18 yr old midfielder who has an extra year with Alan Stewart under his belt than a negating Key defender with suspect shoulders.

This is news to me...

Probably more to do with Rendell stating Giles was the best ruckman not playing AFL, and then we allowed GWS to pick him up 2011 Rookie draft, but I dunno how we could've taken him earlier (Pick 61 that year was used on Lyons). Unless we wanted to use GC's pre-list rule (like Krakeour/Ceglar/Phillips/Mzungu/Faulks).

Definitely seems like they're trying to get the Rising Star judges to take note, rather than just looking at a stats sheet and seeing low possessions.

For me, these highlights videos are about more than just putting together some entertaining clips for the fans to watch during the week. There's no doubt that Talia and any of the other players who have featured in Sando's Plays Of The Week or their own independent highlights videos would get a confidence boost from this public recognition of their efforts. It's an excellent morale raising tool and is part of what seems to be a concerted effort by the club to make sure the players believe in their own ability because I think the playing style we've adopted depends on it.

I am a big Davi$ fan but truth be told I am not sure I would now trade Crouch for Philty. Granted that might be due to Talia's great form and Shaw's great promise BUT I would rather have Talia-Shaw-Crouch than Talia-Shaw-Davi$,

I was saying more so about our chances of winning this years premiership.
Davis and Giles would have been great for us.

Probably more to do with Rendell stating Giles was the best ruckman not playing AFL, and then we allowed GWS to pick him up 2011 Rookie draft, but I dunno how we could've taken him earlier (Pick 61 that year was used on Lyons). Unless we wanted to use GC's pre-list rule (like Krakeour/Ceglar/Phillips/Mzungu/Faulks).

nah mate we nearly got him through trade with GWS.

Bump!

R-E-S-P-E-C-T to the golden fist! Love the fact that Sando went in to bat for him at his presser saying " He just has to win the rising star! Just has to!"
Here here!!! Tails has become an out and out rock in defence! One of many valuable players on our list! :thumbsu:

R-E-S-P-E-C-T to the golden fist! Love the fact that Sando went in to bat for him at his presser saying " He just has to win the rising star! Just has to!"

I am loving this about Sando. He's not at all afraid to launch pre-emptive defences for his players, even without stopping to consider whether it could come back to bite him. Whether it's Walker's tackle, or Thompson's accidental hit on Johnson, or Talia's Rising Star chances, he'll come out during a press conference and he'll go straight into bat for them :thumbsu:

And you know what, if he slips up and says something he shouldn't have, he acknowledges it later and then moves on. Perfect :thumbsu:

The way he said it was like he'd already won it. Like it wasn't even up for discussion. Now, I'm not saying the selectors will be influenced by that, but there is something to be said for generating this kind of word of mouth. With stealth.

Now, the line I'd use next, I've been banned from using.....

Suffice to say, we've got our nuts back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every week I watch him I think to myself, " this performance will shut up his doubters"....

It doesn't.... What the hell are people expecting from him? Phil Davis was very highly regarded as a negating defender.... I would like to know what he was doing that Talia isn't at the same age? ( apart from shoulders )

Last night he kept a champion forward very quiet... But it wasn't good enough because Riewoldt had a niggle.... What a load of crap! Most players would of had a niggle last night...

He could do better offensively and with time I am sure he will. Davis is still no offensive giant..

I think it is now fair to say he is getting the credit he deserves!

I think it is now fair to say he is getting the credit he deserves!

True and well over due as well however, until he starts getting it 20 times a game, he will always have his doubters.

Offensive players are seen by the average and uneducated football fan, where as defensive players are seen the purist and knowledgeable football fans.

True and well over due as well however, until he starts getting it 20 times a game, he will always have his doubters.

Offensive players are seen by the average and uneducated football fan, where as defensive players are seen the purist and knowledgeable football fans.
True, so very true! :thumbsu:

And as they say, "Offense wins games, but defensive wins CHAMPIONSHIPS!"

Has to win the Rising Star or the selectors are just AFL stooges being ordered to give it to some developing State Club.

Shoe in for the 40 man AA squad as well.

I would've had him in..... Can't believe he didn't make the 40

But congrats on the award!

I'm sure there is something else he covets though..... we still have unfinished business

Remove this Banner Ad

Talia.... Why isn't he getting the love he deserves?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back