Team Mgmt. Talk about the makeup of our list - midfield balance, height profile, endurance runners

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only to people who don't know football well.

4 years for a good AFL level winger on what's likely a heavily front loaded contract is a contract that is actually incredibly smart business.

And the Langford one is almost certainly going to be front loaded that I'd estimate 70% of the contract will be over the first two years. This is a guy who finished 4th in our BnF in 2020, and 7th last year despite missing 25% of the season. He's our best winger and one of the best kicks at the club.
You just contradicted yourself! Anyone that knows football, understands that you just described the complete opposite to Langford.

You just contradicted yourself! Anyone that knows football, understands that you just described the complete opposite to Langford.
Not really. Compare his stats last year to Josh Daicos' this year (the only wing selected in the AA squad):

#35.png
That's Langford on the left and Daicos on the right. Full disclosure, I had to cut out intercept possessions (2.9 vs 2.8), Dream Team (86.6 vs 78.6) and Supercoach scores (86.8 vs 78.5) because there wasn't enough space and they didn't seem relevant to the discussion. Putting him against some other high level wingers of the last two years as I've done in his thread:
Langford is nearly everything you want from an offensive wing. Compare him to the best wing of this year in Karl Amon:

20.8 vs 23.6 disposals
5.8 vs 5.9 marks
0.8 vs 0.5 goals
3.2 vs 4.7 inside 50's
0.4 goal assists apiece
0.5 vs 0 contested marks
0.8 vs 0.2 marks inside 50
1.1 vs 2.4 rebound 50's
5.5 score involvements apiece

Langford on the left and Amon on the right. I'm not saying Langford is as good as Amon, because he quite obviously isn't, but he's doing what you want as a winger. He's made the grade, and if anybody disagrees after the last two years he's produced I suspect they're watching a different game.
Just a reminder of what Langford was doing last year as a winger in comparison to Amon. For posterity, Ed Langdon's stats in those areas last year:

21.8 disposals, 5.4 marks, 0.5 goals, 2.8 inside 50's, 0.2 goal assists, 0.2 contested marks, 0.5 marks I50, 2.1 rebound 50's, 4.2 score involvements

And this year:

23.2 disposals, 4.5 marks, 0.5 goals, 3.3 inside 50's, 0.3 goal assists, 0 contested marks, 0.4 marks I50, 2 rebound 50's, 4.3 score involvements

Stats wise he's not too far off the best wingers in the game.
As you can see, as far as the league's best wingers he's not too far off them. Thank you for demonstrating why you have no idea about football once again.

Not really. Compare his stats last year to Josh Daicos' this year (the only wing selected in the AA squad):

View attachment 1518549
That's Langford on the left and Daicos on the right. Full disclosure, I had to cut out intercept possessions (2.9 vs 2.8), Dream Team (86.6 vs 78.6) and Supercoach scores (86.8 vs 78.5) because there wasn't enough space and they didn't seem relevant to the discussion. Putting him against some other high level wingers of the last two years as I've done in his thread:

As you can see, as far as the league's best wingers he's not too far off them. Thank you for demonstrating why you have no idea about football once again.
Why didn't you compare Langfords stats from this year?

You mean the year where he played half a dozen games due to injury?

Because in part, it demonstrates how bad he actually is LOL and that support his argument, he will keep throwing the 2021 stats for the next 4 years haha.

Who can forget when he cost us the game against Collingwood, that's was a disgraceful effort, weak as piss and he is still has his brain fades, yes we all remember the boundary line melt down, Squibs contest etc.

He may rack up a few numbers here an then, but gee, he does play unaccountable football, a down hill skier you could say.

Because in part, it demonstrates how bad he actually is LOL and that support his argument, he will keep throwing the 2021 stats for the next 4 years haha.

Who can forget when he cost us the game against Collingwood, that's was a disgraceful effort, weak as piss and he is still has his brain fades, yes we all remember the boundary line melt down, Squibs contest etc.

He may rack up a few numbers here an then, but gee, he does play unaccountable football, a down hill skier you could say.

Isaac Smith also plays unaccountable football.

It's kind of the point of a wingman.

Also, your analysis is very poor if you can pick out maybe 3 occasions from 107 games.

No, as I said, he missed most of the year through injury.

Your continual reference of that is hilarious and inaccurate. There have been many analysts that point out that there were multiple options inside 50 so if he committed to Elliott Bianco probably goes to the other option, which would have been closer to goal and an easier shot. His delay meant that Elliott was the only option.

Try to keep up dear.
Really 8, since he went off 30 seconds in for round 1.

Kyle Langford 2021 v Trent Dumont 2020, that is the last full season played.

Brady005 You've been hating on Langford on bomberblitz for years, you don't like him, It's pure hate from his early years, you can't get passed it, Langford can do no right in your eyes.
The fact that he's from Blitz explains everything.

Was also playing as a forward rather than a wingman for the most part as they eased him back in
They seem to always be easing him on or playing him out of position.

When he played midfield, he was a forward. When he went forward, he was a wingman. When he played as a winger he was a high half forward.

More excuses than a pregnant nun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having read a fair bit of talk on here, these are my most pressing needs;

(1) forward half creativity -

Feel this is our most pressing need, more so than that so called big bodied mid. We have guys capable but none full time in this area. Im talking the Toby Greene, Shai Bolton type forward/mid. Alwyn Davey Jnr will certainly help and the potential to land Harry Sheezel and double dip in this area is certainly tempting.

(2) Key forward -

Another that has been discussed to death but the talks on our list I don't rate particularly highly. Not to the potential of what is needed for a premiership tilt. Peter Wright is good and one I hope we can see repeat for the next 3 - 5 years but he needs a partner in crime. I don't see 'it' with Harry Jones to be a second fiddle, more so that over sized flanker that Gunston was in those premiership years for the Hawks circa 2012.

(3) defensive minded mid -

This is where we all probably agree, a big defensive minded mid is sorely needed to help out our front running midfield group. Someone with some size would help but someone who can do the defensive stuff to allow our established midfielders to do there thing would be sorely needed.

Having read a fair bit of talk on here, these are my most pressing needs;

(1) forward half creativity -

Feel this is our most pressing need, more so than that so called big bodied mid. We have guys capable but none full time in this area. Im talking the Toby Greene, Shai Bolton type forward/mid. Alwyn Davey Jnr will certainly help and the potential to land Harry Sheezel and double dip in this area is certainly tempting.

(2) Key forward -

Another that has been discussed to death but the talks on our list I don't rate particularly highly. Not to the potential of what is needed for a premiership tilt. Peter Wright is good and one I hope we can see repeat for the next 3 - 5 years but he needs a partner in crime. I don't see 'it' with Harry Jones to be a second fiddle, more so that over sized flanker that Gunston was in those premiership years for the Hawks circa 2012.

(3) defensive minded mid -

This is where we all probably agree, a big defensive minded mid is sorely needed to help out our front running midfield group. Someone with some size would help but someone who can do the defensive stuff to allow our established midfielders to do there thing would be sorely needed.
1. we need two of them.
2. Jones showed last year he is more than able. Do not judge of an injury riddled year. Agree we have no super star KPF.
3. Yes.
4. Absolute number 1 need. Competitive leaders. Hard edge. We may have to sacrifice drafting for position to tick this box and in the long run it will be worth it.

For the most part I’m happy to back in our current key forward stocks to develop, but if Cadman is available at our pick I think we have to take him.

That’s the only key forward I’m interested in this draft though as I feel he’s the only one who could move the needle compared to what we already have.

If Kyle Langford cared more about the footy than he does his hair on game day he'd be a better footballer

looking at Geelong GF side and our best side

Bews - Redman
SDK - Zerk
Kolo - Kelly
Tuohy- McGrath
Stewart - Laverde*
Henry - Ridley
Smith - Martin
Selwood - Hobbs
Blicavs - Cox

Close - Snelling
Cameron - Jones
Miers - Guelfi
Rohan - Stringer
Hawkins - Wright
Stengle - ??? (don't really have that small fwd....tend to play Langford)*
Stanley - Draper
Danger - Parish
Guthrie - Merrett
Duncan - Shiel
Guthrie - Perkins
Atkins - Caldwell
O'Connor - D'Ambrosio

Bold is where I think development can kick in to catch up
* is where I think we need improvement

There's a story about patience and development in there.

Danger - Parish

Confused Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

I flipped Stringer and Danger a few times. trying to find like for like roles, rather than player to player equivalents.
Danger is a rare one that not many squads have (outside Tracc, Buddy...and im struggling to think about game impact players)

We just don't have a player like him really, Parish would be more similar to a Selwood or Mitch Duncan than a Dangerfield, though doesn't have the inside game of a Selwood or the outside game of a Duncan.

Dangerfield is the size and explosiveness of a Stringer or DeGoey but a genuine midfielder instead of a part time one.

Not every team 'needs' a player like that given they're rare as hens teeth, usually your big clearance brutes are more a Josh Kennedy or Cripps that move like a barge and just kind of grind their way through stoppage after stoppage.

Unfortunately for us, none of the genuine mids this year around our range are big brutes, so we'll be picking up an angry smaller mid like Wardlaw or a more balanced mid like Tsatas that has most question marks on their defensive running... not really ideal.

A second Top-10 pick (if we can get the Bowes deal done) would let us reach a little for a guy like McKenzie or Phillipou who are bigger bodies that can come in alongside which of Wardlaw / Tsatas seems likely to fall to our pick, or Clark as I know ant is a big fan of how he plays.

We just don't have a player like him really, Parish would be more similar to a Selwood or Mitch Duncan than a Dangerfield, though doesn't have the inside game of a Selwood or the outside game of a Duncan.

Dangerfield is the size and explosiveness of a Stringer or DeGoey but a genuine midfielder instead of a part time one.

Not every team 'needs' a player like that given they're rare as hens teeth, usually your big clearance brutes are more a Josh Kennedy or Cripps that move like a barge and just kind of grind their way through stoppage after stoppage.

Unfortunately for us, none of the genuine mids this year around our range are big brutes, so we'll be picking up an angry smaller mid like Wardlaw or a more balanced mid like Tsatas that has most question marks on their defensive running... not really ideal.

A second Top-10 pick (if we can get the Bowes deal done) would let us reach a little for a guy like McKenzie or Phillipou who are bigger bodies that can come in alongside which of Wardlaw / Tsatas seems likely to fall to our pick, or Clark as I know ant is a big fan of how he plays.
I'd argue size is our 2nd issue after hard running.

We are too conditional as a side, whereas Geelong just don't let up. Case in point, their GF against the 2nd best system in the game in the Swans.
We may as well be playing a different sport to those two.

There's a few on the market who could help
Dunkley - Self motivated, competitive, good inside and can hit the scoreboard
De Goey - Effectively the 70% midfield time to Stringer's 30%. Perfect rotations
Graham - I'd bring him in and make him captain. Was dumb not drafting him in the first place.
Bowes - Classy kick, strong and tall...and brings with him 7 which brings Clarke into the equation as a perfect compliment to Hobbs.

But I don't think we're chances for any of them. They'd be relatively low cost too I imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back