Tarryn Thomas - The next superstar?

Remove this Banner Ad

Funny comment considering a North fan created the thread to talk about how good one of their kids are on the main board 🤣

That’s the point though isn’t it? It’s a thread about a North kid. If you’re not interested in it, then don’t post.

Instead you start posting about Essendons kids.

We don't need him when we got Perkins. Very happy with the KPD we got for Saad too. Thanks for that.

They play absolutely nothing alike.

Ones a permanent half forward at the moment, the other looks like a 12 year old but somehow is already a better user by hand inside than Cunnington.

Thomas or Touk Miller?
Or ahem, Caldwell

The sort of output you get from a later round pick. We traded a 2nd rounder for Caldwell who will have his career comfortably covered. What's he done to suggest he's worthy of a top 3 pick? At least he seems to use it better than the butcher Uniacke.

Essendon actually traded two second rounders for Jye Caldwell.

Out: Pick 29 and Future 2021 2nd Round (currently ~pick 26).

In: Caldwell, pick 44, pick 74

He's saying bont was the best player on the best team who won the flag. Reign in your TT comparison he's only been playing well for a month but the talent is obvious
They're very different players. I can't imagine Bont ever doing this:

He just doesn't move that smoothly. He especially didn't before he'd even played 10 games.

I don't think much of Bont, tho he is playing well this year. I was just having a go at that poster cos I think he's a bit of knob. No one is comparing him to Bontempelli, they are saying he is a "Bontempelli like player". I don't think he's Bontempelli like myself. He hasn't gone crying to the media about one of his own players ducking into a tackle after we lost a game, or anything else, yet.

He just doesn't move that smoothly. He especially didn't before he'd even played 10 games.

I don't think much of Bont, tho he is playing well this year. I was just having a go at that poster cos I think he's a bit of knob. No one is comparing him to Bontempelli, they are saying he is a "Bontempelli like player". I don't think he's Bontempelli like myself. He hasn't gone crying to the media about one of his own players ducking into a tackle after we lost a game, or anything else, yet.

Bont was winning flags and being BOG in finals at his age so yeah they are different players. Thomas is emerging but hes still done sweet f all. apart from 2-3 games in a row of some level of consistency. Also re that clip the Bont has plenty of better plays than that cmon mate haha

Bont was winning flags and being BOG in finals at his age so yeah they are different players. Thomas is emerging but hes still done sweet f all. apart from 2-3 games in a row of some level of consistency. Also re that clip the Bont has plenty of better plays than that cmon mate haha

2-3 games in a row?

OK.

I didnt make this about Bont your own club poster did. Also read what I wrote initially in this thread there is no salt my end. In fact I want Thomas to succeed he looks like a good young kid my point has purely been he has been compared to players who were out performing him at the same age

Perhaps re-read my post before proceeding with multiple pages of "He's not as good as Bont" back & forth.

I never said he was as good as Bont, or that he would be as good as Bont.

I compared similarities in their traits. I see more similarities to Bont, in Tarryn, then I do any of the other upcoming u21 players in the competition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol what??? This is a highlight from him at age 19 where he ended up with 3 Brownlow votes. Younger than Tarryn Thomas was in that video😂😂😂😂

North fans are hilarious. Explain to me how he’s never looked as “smooth”
He’s been living in North fans heads since 2014.

Last edited:
Re. Thomas, from very early on in his playing career you could see the class and sense he had a bright future. It may have been just a misperception on my behalf, but a negative was that he seemed quite soft and unwilling to put his body into a contest. And he had a poor tank. Now I know he came in as an 18 year old and he can't be expected to bully around seasoned pros from the get go, but it was that hesitancy to even commit which I saw as a bit of a concern.

My question to North fan's (as I haven't kept up with his trajectory): 1) do you think his contested work and "mongrel" can be improved with continued focus strength and conditioning, or is he a more naturally "timid" player. Note that he has a very high ceiling in other areas so this is not implying he's not a gun.

2) Where do you see him spending most of his time if he were to develop his midfield craft to the level of elite inside mids? Personally despite what I said about him seeming timid, he's just so bloody skilful by foot I'd want it in his hands in open space as much as possible - forget having him try be the extractor.

Bit of a ramble there but yea TT's potential is unlimited. If he can increase his contested ball winning/ball winning in general and start to do that on a regular basis, then we will be talking in a few years about arguably the best player in the league. Lot of if's there though.

Re. Thomas, from very early on in his playing career you could see the class and sense he had a bright future. It may have been just a misperception on my behalf, but a negative was that he seemed quite soft and unwilling to put his body into a contest. And he had a poor tank. Now I know he came in as an 18 year old and he can't be expected to bully around seasoned pros from the get go, but it was that hesitancy to even commit which I saw as a bit of a concern.

My question to North fan's (as I haven't kept up with his trajectory): 1) do you think his contested work and "mongrel" can be improved with continued focus strength and conditioning, or is he a more naturally "timid" player. Note that he has a very high ceiling in other areas so this is not implying he's not a gun.

2) Where do you see him spending most of his time if he were to develop his midfield craft to the level of elite inside mids? Personally despite what I said about him seeming timid, he's just so bloody skilful by foot I'd want it in his hands in open space as much as possible - forget having him try be the extractor.

Bit of a ramble there but yea TT's potential is unlimited. If he can increase his contested ball winning/ball winning in general and start to do that on a regular basis, then we will be talking in a few years about arguably the best player in the league. Lot of if's there though.

Worth noting that when he was drafted he was a stick. A lot gets spoken about him having a rugby background, so I don't necessarily think he hated the hard stuff, just that he didn't have the body for it. His tank was also poor which is pretty normal for an 18 year old coming into the system.

I absolutely think his contented work can be improved. This year alone it has improved significantly. Watch the West Coast game where they clearly were putting work into him. He doesn't shy away. I'd compare him to another player on our list, Stephenson, who is a similar age and size, but definitely has less mongrel then Tarryn IMO (despite having an additional year in the system).

In terms of where we want him moving forward, the answer from my perspective is as much midfield time as possible. His tank only permits him to spend bursts in there now, but it's already come a long way & expecting that to improve in coming years. He's got some pretty handy young inside mids around him + Cunnington, so I'd like to see him sitting out the back of stoppage running through for the hands.

we no longer rely on one player to get the work done. Gone are the days when Harvey and wells are the only running players. The blue Olaf parts now is basic requirement from all then the high end stuff. A few ding dongs here think their clubs might Have won a few, hehe good luck.

That would be a misperception on your part.

In his first season he had 124 contested and 126 uncontested possessions and was ranked around 100th in the comp for total tackles that year. So he certainly wasn't afraid of the contest or physical pressure. In his first year he'd usually play well in the first quarter/half and fade right out of the game. That seems to have more to do with his perceived timidity or lack of intensity imo. It was noticeable this year that as he developed proper match fitness the lack of intensity disappeared completely.

Now that he has developed a tank he is able to play well and aggressively thru all four quarters. He is certainly not timid and was dragging Mumford around by his jumper a few games ago.

He played senior footy since the age of 15 in Tasmania in the TSL, not the most skillful comp in the land but certainly a physically hard comp where players earn their possessions. So the way he shapes up to the ball is something he learned as a kid trying to deal with men who were stronger and bigger/heavier than him throwing their weight around at the contest. He doesn't barge into the contest (like Bontempelli for example who is big and solid and learned to play that way) he is subtle and uses his body to put other players off balance and off their line.

This is imo what makes him so potentially good. Once he does put on some size and weight (he was nicknamed "matchsticks" when he got to the club apparently,) which is starting to happen now he'll be able to use that subtle body stuff he learned to devestating effect. Well that's what we are hoping anyway. He is already evasive, athletic, a great contested mark, incredibly skilled (won the kicking at his draft combine) and has X factor to burn so that subtle ability to work bodies off the ball will become really valuable as he matures and develops an adult AFL players body.

He can win the ball at the coal face. But i agree, its better if he's getting the ball with a few cms to work in cos he is evasive, deceptively fast and can hit exquisite 60m passes or goals.

Played in 1954 did he?

Remove this Banner Ad

Tarryn Thomas - The next superstar?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back