Autopsy The Bont, The Bye & The Bathwater - Dogs By Plenty

Remove this Banner Ad

I really don’t think it was even the dogs pressure that caused our poor kicks. Walker was directly turning it over with no pressure at all, as were many others. Players couldn’t even execute simple handballs and almost missed the ball all together at some points
Quite a few of Walkers turnovers I thought were because there was no movement up the ground to present a clear target to kick too. At least 2-3 were just clearing the ball out of defensive 50 and our midfield and forward line were nowhere to be seen.

Brayshaw’s an interesting case; I remember at the start of last season he had an illness of some sort and then hasn’t seemed the same player; could he have long COVID or some sort of post-viral thing perhaps? I know they said knee, but it just doesn’t seem like that sort of thing
He’s actually doing okay. Solid numbers
Pretty obvious he’s playing outside/wing then coming in for stoppages.
It’s a result of Fyfe coming back in the middle, with Young promotion as well.
He’s sacrificing his game.

For context of how poor the midfield was:

We conceded 11.3 from stoppages and 7.3 from centre bounces.

Both are our worst ever for as far back as I can find score sources being recorded (2021). We did concede 11.3 from stoppages against Brisbane in 2021 as well.

He’s actually doing okay. Solid numbers
Pretty obvious he’s playing outside/wing then coming in for stoppages.
It’s a result of Fyfe coming back in the middle, with Young promotion as well.
If he's doing this I've been wondering about the wisdom of it.
He won the league's MVP as a youngling in 2022 before having an injury impaired 2023.
He should be cominginto his peak years now.
To my mind therefore he is the sort of player we should be building our team and style around, not asking him to 'sacrifice his game.' If he's capable of being consistently the best player in the comp we are nuts to say to him, 'Lets sacrifice this'!

Quite a few of Walkers turnovers I thought were because there was no movement up the ground to present a clear target to kick too. At least 2-3 were just clearing the ball out of defensive 50 and our midfield and forward line were nowhere to be seen.

At times like that you have to ask where Darcy and Jackson are. Those are the kinds of kicks your ruckmen should be presenting for. Say what you will about Lobb but you could always count on him being that get out of jail long up the line ball out of defensive 50.

At times like that you have to ask where Darcy and Jackson are. Those are the kinds of kicks your ruckmen should be presenting for. Say what you will about Lobb but you could always count on him being that get out of jail long up the line ball out of defensive 50.
Its hard to say because the way AFL is broadcast is shit in my opinion as you have no idea how teams are set up ahead of the ball.

I would anticipate that they were a good 15-20 metres further down the line which I believe has been a problem for us quite often.

What stood out for me today is the bulldogs have a player (Bont) who just takes the team on his back and carries them. It doesn’t lead to a win every time but since Fyfe isn’t peak Fyfe anymore we don’t have one of those guys like the Bont, Cripps, Henry, Petracca and Gawn, Jordan Dawson at the Crows, prime Dusty and Dangerfield and the Daicos boys. Their ability to lift those around them when needed can’t be underestimated

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Serong is the name that comes to mind as our player who lifts those around him. He runs himself ragged and has been reminiscent of Fyfe at his peak this season.

Unfortunately even Serong wasn’t playing at his usual level yesterday so we were well and truly screwed.

Serong is the name that comes to mind as our player who lifts those around him. He runs himself ragged and has been reminiscent of Fyfe at his peak this season.

Unfortunately even Serong wasn’t playing at his usual level yesterday so we were well and truly screwed.
Libba was too good for him on the day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only positive from this loss is that Bevo has proven a way to beat Freo. Now we can adapt to counter this or die.

I think Serong efforts can lift the team but he needs to kick more goals and inspire team mates which all those others I mentioned do. It’s just that inspirational player who thinks “I’m going to do it all myself” bursting through, taking on the opposition and kicking a special goal that we lack.

The only positive from this loss is that Bevo has proven a way to beat Freo. Now we can adapt to counter this or die.
Partly agree but I don’t think yesterday was a tactical loss. No game plan survives half arsed efforts and midfield smashing. *
* A court order compels me to acknowledge my takes are often horrible incorrect .😜

Was it GWS after the bye last year where we were shocking and went into a 6 game nosedive to the edge of the bottom 4

Game definitely had an eire sense of dejavu about it
We lost to the Tigers after the bye at home because nobody bothered to mark Jayden Short 60 metres from goal.

Then we lost to the Giants, beat the Bombers and went on a 4 game nosedive after that.

I’m a Fyfe fan and I think so far this year he has added to the team, but I can’t disagree with your comments. When he is in tight in the contest he can apply pressure and tackle but once the ball gets remotely outside or is transitioning to outside, opponents just walk around him. He just seems to lack any confidence in his kicking and his ability to fly for marks. I’ve watched a lot of Peel games this year and Brodie has clearly improved his disposal and run and made himself more damaging. I’m torn about dropping Fyfe as in many games he has definitely contributed, but I would love to somehow give Brodie 3-4 games to see what he can do.

Those same areas of concern you reference for Fyfe are the same issues and area of weakness for Brodie.

He has no spread and can’t keep up with players once ball gets moving. In saying that Brodie might be worth a go as sub. He could be subbed in for either Fyfe or JOM and he seems to play well against his old team.

Also I’m not sure why Wagner got dropped out completely and didn’t travel with the team at the expense of Worner. Worner was ok but boy did he have a few WTF moments. One comes to mind in the first quarter where he was called to play on after a mark and then got himself in a pickle and basically just kicked sideways to a bulldogs player.

I’ve been impressed with Wagner’s short cameo’s and showing real intention to run and carry drive the ball forward. Something like 18 possessions in two quarters of footy.

Those same areas of concern you reference for Fyfe are the same issues and area of weakness for Brodie.

He has no spread and can’t keep up with players once ball gets moving. In saying that Brodie might be worth a go as sub. He could be subbed in for either Fyfe or JOM and he seems to play well against his old team.

Also I’m not sure why Wagner got dropped out completely and didn’t travel with the team at the expense of Worner. Worner was ok but boy did he have a few WTF moments. One comes to mind in the first quarter where he was called to play on after a mark and then got himself in a pickle and basically just kicked sideways to a bulldogs player.

I’ve been impressed with Wagner’s short cameo’s and showing real intention to run and carry drive the ball forward. Something like 18 possessions in two quarters of footy.
It wouldnt have a difference to the result but I do agree Wagner should have played yesterday. He’s always full of energy and attacking intent.

Yeh that Worner kick straight to the Oppo was crazy lol 😂 maybe he thought it was a peel player cause I can't think of any other reason as it wasn't a shank.

Not looking for excuses here, especially as they've just had a break, but -

We just completed Round 14, our 13th game of the season, and we've had 5 home games to date. Just 5. I wonder if there's a cumulative effect here with travel exhaustion. Back to back away games in Adelaide, back to back away games our last two weeks, Alice Springs, on top of being the most travelled team in the comp.

There's a reason why travel and equalisation is being pushed so hard by the WA clubs, and the players have said it takes a real toll on their bodies. And we still have Tasmania to come. We've copped it hard this year from a travel perspective.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy The Bont, The Bye & The Bathwater - Dogs By Plenty

Remove this Banner Ad

Back