The Cyril Rioli Myth = The Harley Bennell Reality?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting comment when you consider that Garlett has kicked only 8 less goals in his 59 AFL games than Rioli has in his 89 AFL games (including the 6 goals tonight).

The only thing interesting is you trying to convince people how good Carlton players are in a thread about Bennell and Rioli. No one cares.

Are you talking about the same Betts (drafted in the PSD) who kicked 50 goals last season? Garlett (drafted in the rookie draft) only managed 48, but both were well ahead of Rioli's 29 goals.

Tonight was the 3rd time only that Rioli has kicked 5 or more goals in a game.

Rioli's good games are very good, but there have not been enough of them to deserve the regular praise he gets. The reality is that Betts is currently a better small forward than Rioli. That is not to say that Rioli won't eventually end up better than Betts, but some perspective should be maintained when discussing Rioli.

So you'd take Betts and Garlett ahead of Rioli at Carlton?

Bennells game was just as good if not better for those who saw him.

This is arguably true, but who cares? Can't we just revel in the fact both these guys played ripper games and were great to watch? No, we should use Bennell's performance as an opportunity to shit on Rioli for some pathetic reason. :eek:

Honestly, some of the responses on here are hilarious. This is a poorly disguised Bay 13 thread that recoiled heavily on the OP. Karma.

So you'd take Betts and Garlett ahead of Rioli at Carlton?

I'll answer that.
If Rioli played for Carlton I wouldn't be able to get enough on them.
Small forwards are notorious for having poor games when it counts.
Rioli thrives.

Interesting comment when you consider that Garlett has kicked only 8 less goals in his 59 AFL games than Rioli has in his 89 AFL games (including the 6 goals tonight).

Stats mean nothing. Garlett is a twig who regularly goes missing in physical games. Cyril won us a flag in 08 when the heat was on. See the difference? Not hard

Calling it early, but if St Kilda get a big run on in the last quarter I'm expecting Rioli to be unsighted.

Brilliant player and already in the votes for tonight's game, but this performance doesn't erase the reasons he is criticised.

Close. Saints didn't get a run on, but Rioli was still unsighted.

First time ive seen an aboriginal player play 4 quarters get that many touches and breaking tackles all game.

svMCLEOD-420x0.jpg

GYI0060652005_crop_450x500.jpg

I suggest you dig up some footage of these blokes.

Amongst others.

Why make this thread to put shit on Rioli?

What does Bennel have to do with it?

He would be taken before any other forward pocket in the league and still has plenty of time to make a midfield transition if that's the path he will head down.

Close. Saints didn't get a run on, but Rioli was still unsighted.

Let's not focus on his unbelievable first 80 min lets focus in that.
I really don't get what some get out of footy.
Cyril will most likely never be a 4quarter player. So what.

Give me Cyril,give me Maurice, Darren Jarman,Aker,McLeod,Daicos,Ablett etc
Everyone will pick faults because.... ****ed if I know why actually.
Must hate footy.

Let's not focus on his unbelievable first 80 min lets focus in that.
I really don't get what some get out of footy.
Cyril will most likely never be a 4quarter player. So what.

Give me Cyril,give me Maurice, Darren Jarman,Aker,McLeod,Daicos,Ablett etc
Everyone will pick faults because.... ****ed if I know why actually.
Must hate footy.

Maurice ....boy could that bloke play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Delicious offended is delicious. :D:thumbsu:
No offended.

I like Cyril but two things.

First still thought Bennell's game was better and second if given the choice between both players would take Bennell without thinking twice.

He has all of Cyrils good qualities and none of the bad. Superior player across the board.

No offended.

First still thought Bennell's game was better and second if given the choice between both players would take Bennell without thinking twice.

He has all of Cyrils good qualities and none of the bad. Superior player across the board.
Please, give Bennell some time. He is a very good player, but he's playing in a side with a handful of good players and a lot of young developing players. Stands out like a sore thumb.

I'm not saying he won't be a champion, but comparing him with Junior at this stage is just silly.

Please, give Bennell some time. He is a very good player, but he's playing in a side with a handful of good players and a lot of young developing players. Stands out like a sore thumb.

I'm not saying he won't be a champion, but comparing him with Junior at this stage is just silly.
I would say he is already a better player than Jr. if he maintains current form.

Never seen Jr play as well as Bennell tonight.

With a best season tally of 29 goals so far in his career, he has received far more accolades than he has deserved.

Fools who've never seen Rioli play live say this sort of thing. He is a level above everyone on the ground in a contest when he's playing well.

And I mean everyone - Franklin et. al. He just does what he wants.

The problem, as others have pointed out is that Cyril goes quiet.

Chronic problems with hamstrings etc. mean he can't do the work to develop a tank. But we all knew this.

Bennell looks amazing btw.

I would say he is already a better player than Jr. if he maintains current form.

Never seen Jr play as well as Bennell tonight.

This sentence makes no sense. You're saying Bennell is "already" a better player, if he maintains current form? :confused::confused:

Only time will tell. But I don't agree with your premise, as it presupposes that individual performance maketh the better player. It's a very shallow way in which to analyse things.

The OP is right though?

Benell is everything that cyril was 'going to be' according to some hawthorn supporters. A dominant, silky skilled midfielder.

He's not though, he's an amazing forward pocket, an impact player who doesn't always impact as much as people expect, given his obvious talents.

Harleys game today was better than cyrils has been so far.

Cyril is a jet, the talk of him being the next ablett was a little premature though, isn't that the point the OP was trying to make?

Very different players. Cyril seems to be a lot more dangerous around the goals, he's at home there.

Perhaps Cyril was the victim of his own impressive first season. He looked lively in a pocket and everyone thought he would become a good midfielder but injuries have hampered that.

You could say similar things about Palmer, Dalziell, Wonaeamirri and several other players who had great starts to their careers.

No offended.

Bennell looks unbelievable he really does.
But I reckon I'd nearly take Cyril over anyone.
It's about big moments in big games and he makes strawberry jam out of shit constantly.

FFS Richmond supporter who started this thread.

First we have the media slamming the Hawks, then Buddy for being goalless last week and now this - we never stood a chance after all that.

Your mob better win tomorrow and not cost me a perfect nine in the tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back