News The good bloke cometh - Luke Hodge to Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think anyone thinks that. His best is well and truly behind him. We aren't recruiting him to be a gun player, we are recruiting him for his knowledge and leadership. One of the greatest leaders of the modern era. He will help our young team immensely.

Exactly.... a team as young as ours and with the talent ...it needs direction and there's only so much Fagan do in the coaches box. During pressure moments in the game where a few goals could put us away or grinding through to a close win you want a leader ON THE FIELD.

Two deliberate dog acts inflicted with one purpose in mind. To take them out of the game. Permanently. The man is painted as some good bloke personified but his deeds demonstrate otherwise. He is, as Skoob so succinctly painted, a grub. We can all get wrapped up in the moment and sentimentality of this recruitment but for me this does not sit well. This man should not come within a mile of the hallowed pathways of our own greats let alone be part of the club. :(
He's a tough physical footballer. So was Vossy. Neither of them intended to cause injuries to others. I think you are overreacting majorly here

Two deliberate dog acts inflicted with one purpose in mind. To take them out of the game. Permanently. The man is painted as some good bloke personified but his deeds demonstrate otherwise. He is, as Skoob so succinctly painted, a grub. We can all get wrapped up in the moment and sentimentality of this recruitment but for me this does not sit well. This man should not come within a mile of the hallowed pathways of our own greats let alone be part of the club. :(
If Hodge is a grub then Chris Judd is an absolute thug.

Um...when were the Lions the 'nice, don't try to hurt anyone' club?

1539566-3x2-340x227.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Alastair-Lynch-Darryl-Wakelin-5676045.jpg

09eefc84276c9455eb73fa34fc63041e

1539566-3x2-340x227.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Actually it's not so much that I "like" this post. I think it makes a salient point but I don't particularly "like" it. There's not a "salient point" button though.

1539566-3x2-340x227.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Yep there is a bit of selective memory happening. Our boys were no angels in that era.We need some toughness back.

Played 19 / 22 games this season; some decent outings across half back :thumbsu:

dot.gif
29 disps (21 kicks 8 hballs), 9 marks and 4 tackles in Rd 21 27-pt win over North Melbourne at UTAS Stadium (13 Aug 2017)
dot.gif
23 disps (16 kicks 7 hballs) and 9 marks in Rd 19 6-pt win over Sydney at the MCG (28 Jul 2017)
dot.gif
23 disps (15 kicks 8 hballs), 8 marks and a goal in Rd 17 3-pt loss to Geelong at the MCG (15 Jul 2017)
dot.gif
27 disps (18 kicks 9 hballs) and 12 marks in Rd 15 24-pt win over Collingwood at the MCG (2 Jul 2017)
dot.gif
27 disps (17 kicks 10 hballs) and 5 marks in Rd 11 51-pt loss to Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval (1 Jun 2017)
dot.gif
24 disps (19 kicks 5 hballs) and 8 marks in Rd 10 6-pt win over Sydney at the SCG (26 May 2017)
dot.gif
20 disps (17 kicks 3 hballs), 9 marks and 7 tackles in Rd 8 38-pt win over Brisbane at UTAS Stadium (13 May 2017)
dot.gif
26 disps (13 kicks 13 hballs), 5 marks and 4 tackles in Rd 7 3-pt win over Melbourne at the MCG (7 May 2017)
dot.gif
29 disps (18 kicks 11 hballs) and 9 marks in Rd 6 75-pt loss to St Kilda at UTAS Stadium (29 Apr 2017)
dot.gif
35 disps (21 kicks 14 hballs), 5 marks and 5 tackles in Rd 4 86-pt loss to Geelong at the MCG (17 Apr 2017)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the thing.

Hodge isn't my favourite guy and I think his indiscretions are very serious ones, but I assume we'll all be pleased if Lynch lands on our board.
Completely agree. I think some people aren't fans because he's painted as such a darling in the media - "Good bloke". Which I can relate to, because it's why I can't stand Dangerfield.

I don't think anyone thinks that. His best is well and truly behind him. We aren't recruiting him to be a gun player, we are recruiting him for his knowledge and leadership. One of the greatest leaders of the modern era. He will help our young team immensely.

lions27 certainly seems to think that. That's what I took from this rather dismissive line:

Lol at the people being negative around Hodge playing for us next year.
What could a triple premiership player and captain of the most successful club over the last decade possibly bring to the worst club.

But you're right that we would be recruiting him for his leadership rather than his playing ability.

Nevertheless, there must be some sort of minimum threshold that a player has to contribute to justify putting him out there each week. After watching the way Hodge finished the season just gone I'm doubtful that he can reach that threshold.

The Hawks partly compensated for Hodge's fading abilities by pushing Jack Gunston back to cover defensively and do more of that sweeping role we associate with Hodge. I don't know if our young defence has anyone capable of doing the same thing. It'd be great if Paparone could reach that point, but it doesn't look likely.

To me, our backline appears to be more or less constantly at breaking point. I don't think we can accommodate another player back there who can't help us cover the opposing forwards. Of course we need some more knowledge and leadership, but that has to be balanced against staying competitive as often as possible.

Ultimately it's just a coaching appointment in my mind. That video of him instructing players was hella impressive. He wasn't just barking and yelling - there was an actual pedagogy to it. Very cool. That will be phenomenal for Harris's development as a captain in waiting.

If he becomes an on-field liability I am pretty confident that Fagan will be pragmatic enough to deal with that side of it.

Anyway while I am on for a yarn , Leigh Mathews had a reputation for being a bit of a thug as a player .
None of us cared about that when he came to us as a coach .
Look what he achieved .
If having another ex Hawks tough man around the club , helps toughen our boys up , can't see anything wrong with it .

Anyway while I am on for a yarn , Leigh Mathews had a reputation for being a bit of a thug as a player .
Look what he achieved .
If having another ex Hawks tough man around the club , helps toughen our boys up , can't see anything wrong with it .
And off field wasn't squeeky clean either.

Selective memories

Ultimately it's just a coaching appointment in my mind. That video of him instructing players was hella impressive. He wasn't just barking and yelling - there was an actual pedagogy to it. Very cool. That will be phenomenal for Harris's development as a captain in waiting.

If he becomes an on-field liability I am pretty confident that Fagan will be pragmatic enough to deal with that side of it.

Rodney Eade was asked about Hodge to Brisbane on radio this morning. He said that he thought Hodge's legs would cause us on-field issues at times, getting exposed etc, but that on the whole he thought the positives of him coming to us (leadership, educating the kids) would far outweigh the negatives. Said he would've loved an equivalent situation to have happened while he was at the Suns.

Look what he achieved .
And off field wasn't squeeky clean either.

Selective memories
I'm not sure anyone, myself included, has a real issue with him coming here to coach.

1539566-3x2-340x227.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

That Voss shirtfront was one of the greatest hits of all time.
I'm not sure Lynch ever landed any of those punches, but if he did, it was in the midst of a punch up.
The Reiwoldt thing was worse in hindsight, knowing the injury, but all the guys did was bump his shoulder.

Aside from that, we're not talking about "tough" v "nice guy". There is another level, which is being dirty. Kicking, kneeing and slamming a guy's neck into a goal post, which could have crippled him. All the while appealing and whining to the umpires when things didn't go his way.

Tough guys we can accommodate, but dirty grubs I have no time for. Like I said, plenty to offer as a coach, but I won't be pleased to see him pull on the guernsey. I don't think I've ever been so against a player being in our team, and that includes Fev.

That Voss shirtfront was one of the greatest hits of all time.
I'm not sure Lynch ever landed any of those punches, but if he did, it was in the midst of a punch up.
The Reiwoldt thing was worse in hindsight, knowing the injury, but all the guys did was bump his shoulder.

Aside from that, we're not talking about "tough" v "nice guy". There is another level, which is being dirty. Kicking, kneeing and slamming a guy's neck into a goal post, which could have crippled him. All the while appealing and whining to the umpires when things didn't go his way.

Tough guys we can accommodate, but dirty grubs I have no time for. Like I said, plenty to offer as a coach, but I won't be pleased to see him pull on the guernsey. I don't think I've ever been so against a player being in our team, and that includes Fev.

What was your initial reaction to Robbo Skoob?

Yep there is a bit of selective memory happening. Our boys were no angels in that era.We need some toughness back.
There was a difference between our boy's "football within the rules toughness" and Hodge's dirty dog acts.
However anyone that will help us raise the level to Premiership contenders, welcome.

News The good bloke cometh - Luke Hodge to Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Back