Autopsy The Good (lol!) The Bad and the Beveridge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bevo just cannot park the bus. Teams always get multiple goal run ons and we are powerless to stop it.
It happened in the praccy games v Hawks also. It's been an ongoing issue since 2017, never more so obvious than 2021 GF.

It's Beoveridge

i think he's cooked and out of ideas

should go start afresh at a new club as an assistant
He could fly at another club as a senior coach. He’s inspirational when new. It’s just our players have heard all his shit for years and we are the wrong place and wrong time for him as a coach. Our board just can’t accept that

He was great
He’s now a liability

Let him free and everyone will be happier in the short term!

Same old mistakes at selection to start the year.

Too many newbies\fringe players in the team to be able to confidently expect to beat a quality opponent on their own turf.

There were so many mistakes and missed opportunities which could be attributed to players lacking confidence and second guessing themselves.

What a difference a few more seasoned players could have made to that side? Macrae, Keath, Duryea, plus starting Caleb Daniel.

On the bright side;
Jamarra has clearly improved, as has his fitness and resilience. Bramble is a bit better than many might have thought (including me). Gallagher showed something, West continues to improve, Sanders had a disappointing day considering the hype and his outstanding preseason but is likely to be much better for the run.

Bont was his usual awesome self, and Liam Jones was a shining light down back. But the solid citizens of the team just had to carry too much responsibility, which has been our major failing season after season and is very frustrating because it is self-inflicted at team selection.

I would suggest at least 9 out of our team of 25 would not yet feel psychologically safe either at the level or within the team. That is just too many to work well as a team in the face of a similarly strong opposition.

The great thing about this self inflicted disease of over playing inexperience, is that the cure is relatively simple. Pick different more balanced teams.

We lost an away game to a team that matches up well against us, but we didn’t cop any major injuries, and we got some good experience into a few players.

It’s not the end of the world, just need to respond appropriately.

Same old mistakes at selection to start the year.

Too many newbies\fringe players in the team to be able to confidently expect to beat a quality opponent on their own turf.

There were so many mistakes and missed opportunities which could be attributed to players lacking confidence and second guessing themselves.

What a difference a few more seasoned players could have made to that side? Macrae, Keath, Duryea, plus starting Caleb Daniel.

On the bright side;
Jamarra has clearly improved, as has his fitness and resilience. Bramble is a bit better than many might have thought (including me). Gallagher showed something, West continues to improve, Sanders had a disappointing day considering the hype and his outstanding preseason but is likely to be much better for the run.

Bont was his usual awesome self, and Liam Jones was a shining light down back. But the solid citizens of the team just had to carry too much responsibility, which has been our major failing season after season and is very frustrating because it is self-inflicted at team selection.

I would suggest at least 9 out of our team of 25 would not yet feel psychologically safe either at the level or within the team. That is just too many to work well as a team in the face of a similarly strong opposition.

The great thing about this self inflicted disease of over playing inexperience, is that the cure is relatively simple. Pick different more balanced teams.

We lost an away game to a team that matches up well against us, but we didn’t cop any major injuries, and we got some good experience into a few players.

It’s not the end of the world, just need to respond appropriately.
I didn't think sanders was disappointing, i think he was ok until pulled from the ground for whatever reason

It’s like Bevo loves to piss of a couple of premiership players every year. This year it’s Macrae & Daniel. Are we going to stick with him until he’s seen off every single one?

Libba next? JJ? Bont will be the only one left shortly.

Other than a decent season or two and two excellent finals series, Bevo’s teams are full of disappoint and never able to play to the level they should. He doesn’t maximise what he has at his disposal.

I already wrote off this season before it started so not surprised on the result. When they decided to stick with Bevo, at a minimum they just had to bring in a gun tactician. They failed in that and I've never thought we could be contenders for this season after that. We really needed to be making some hard calls a year and a half ago on key people, we didn't then and there's still plenty there still now that shouldn't be there. Yeah we made a few changes, but there's still a lot of the same key people in charge.

As for the game, some of the efforts were just deplorable both offensively and defensively which is a worry. I saw Bramble sprint past 5 of our blokes from 30m back to provide an option whilst the others were virtually jogging on the spot. Very little energy from some of our players. Bramble was the most impressive out of the new boys which was a big surprise.

Was impressed by Gallagher too, even more so when he moved into the middle in the last qtr. Was surprised how little he got of it when I looked at his stat sheet. Felt like he had more of an impact then that and I loved his defensive game

Sanders was a bit disappointing I thought, but should've been given more of a run in the guts.

Harmes I was also a bit disappointed with, but got smacked around a bit. Pretty poor from some of his teammates not to give him a hand.

Coffield held up well defensively, thought he was one of the one of the culprits that needed to provide more run offensively though.

As for our small forwards, apart from West, they are a laughing stock. McNeil is a mega spud. Why did we re rookie him? I don't know. Vandermeer can barely pick up the ball and Weightman thinks he's a key forward. Really need Clarke and Jones to make it.

yes harmes wasn't great, but at least he had 5 tackles though....

You know you are going bad when a first gamer shares the lead in the tackles count - 5 (gallagher)

Treloar and Libba - 1 tackles each

Sums up our midfield today, pretty average, no pressure around the ball, our poor backs had no chance with the ball coming in like it did.

I didn't think sanders was disappointing, i think he was ok until pulled from the ground for whatever reason
I thought Sanders was pretty poor at the ground tbh, no stress it is what it is first game but yeah he struggled.

I thought Gallagher was worse and was shocked to see Sanders was subbed not him

Hopefully these guys improve quickly

Bailey Dale deserves to be dropped... for a guy with his experience his presence on the field is terrible. He shows no physicality at all.... Also, you would cop it usually as a couple years ago he was deadly by foot but he has gone of the boil.

You know you are going bad when a first gamer shares the lead in the tackles count - 5 (gallagher)

Sums up our midfield today, pretty average, no pressure around the ball, our poor backs had no chance with the ball coming in like it did.
really makes ya think Dunkley was way more valuable to our midfield then we probs thought, he laid tackles but also applied some defensive pressure which none of our mids do like at all

Harmes was ****ing awful but yeah the fact none of our players backed him up was so typical. Hopefully it was just nerves.

Glad to read Gags had 5 tackles, I wasn’t overly impressed but he’s got some wraps on here so maybe I saw wrong, just looked a step behind all game for mine but again first game so will give him benefit of the doubt

Apparently we executed our defensive work brilliantly during preseason but now it’s going to take some time to fix? Hmmm. Do we take that to mean we installed a poor system over the preseason?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yes, it failed at the first hurdle against quality opposition as opposed to Hawthorn practice matches. Out ran by a slower Melbourne team than in years past and conceded 109 points against a team that often struggles to buy goals against quality opposition.

I think the main priority is removing the Lobb/Darcy third fwd/ruck role, minor speed boost activated. The strategy was more plausible when we had a top 4 midfield although it failed in reality anyway from it's inception in the late 2022 finals run. Rotating English with Keath or JOD to my mind is the best of the possible limited options.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harmes was ******* awful but yeah the fact none of our players backed him up was so typical. Hopefully it was just nerves.

Glad to read Gags had 5 tackles, I wasn’t overly impressed but he’s got some wraps on here so maybe I saw wrong, just looked a step behind all game for mine but again first game so will give him benefit of the doubt
Gags didn’t impress me that much but did a couple of nice things and does have some AFL level attributes.

Absolutely no idea why he’s being played in the guts this early though. He seems like a running small defender or winger and was drafted as one. Then guys like Sanders & Harmes barely got a look in whilst we rolled with the exact same top heavy midfield of last year.

He made numerous mistakes and struggled to get into the game.

A fair chunk of his possessions came from people seemingly trying to bring him into the play, to help get his confidence going, because there were times he was given the ball over short distances which gave us no territorial or even positional advantage.

BTW Who was he matched up on? Did he spend time matched up against Oliver and Petracca, when they were collecting possessions seemingly at will?

He also failed to score from a gettable shot at goal.

Don’t get me wrong, I really like Sanders and think he will be a star, but his debut was bellow expectations.

Forget the 4 headed monster are we too tall with the 3 headed monster of Naughton Jamarra & Lobb / English?

Gags didn’t impress me that much but did a couple of nice things and does have some AFL level attributes.

Absolutely no idea why he’s being played in the guts this early though. He seems like a running small defender or winger and was drafted as one. Then guys like Sanders & Harmes barely got a look in whilst we rolled with the exact same top heavy midfield of last year.
yeah feels like ‘someone’ has made an early call and trying to justify it with midfield time. In what world is he a centre bounce midfielder at AFL level right now?

I would be interested in what others thought of Bukus game. I thought he did some nice “third defender” type things but as a KPD he was found wanting. To lose multiple physical contests against Ben Brown is unforgivable. Bev seemed moderately happy with him in his presser.
He's brave in the air, but If he doesn't mark it, he's out of the contest.

He was burnt by the coaching panel today, but I dont think he has the tools beyond his marking to make it.

If we bring in another tall and he reverts to a more natural 3rd tall then I suspect that his other shortcomings will come into even starker focus.

Last edited:
Can’t believe no one else has figured out how easy Melbourne are to beat, bringing an extra up to the stoppage and letting the extra, ie Lever one of the best intercept players in the comp, sit free in our forward line, is ******* genius.

I missed the game and was prepared for the result but really disappointed to hear we are still doing this. Off season changes have done SFA.

Forget the 4 headed monster are we too tall with the 3 headed monster of Naughton Jamarra & Lobb / English?
Lobbs a fraud im sorry, looked great against an underman bottom 3 side in preseason but he does not do enough to be a 3rd tall in that set up. Plus he’s average in the ruck.

Very simple change to Darcy who is competitive, much better ruckman and light years ahead as a marking target forward. The structure will work just make the ****ing change, Darcy is a genuine stud I can’t think of one thing he does worse than Lobb

Anyone have any idea why McCrae and O’Donnell were deemed unfit but Dale apparently ok?

And English obviously underdone as well. Missed a lot of pre season.

Reasoning of Beveridge very confusing.

I missed the game and was prepared for the result but really disappointed to hear we are still doing this. Off season changes have done SFA.
It was really noticeably bad from Level 2 at the G, there’s teams this may work against, doing it against Melbourne who already ****ing rape our forward line as it is, is just inexcusable.

It was such a big issue today and we kept rolling one up to the stoppage then kicking to his direct man 😂

I’m sorry but if we can’t back Bont, Libba etc to win the contest then we need to make serious changes in the midfield, not throw an extra number in there. To be fair English was getting so badly beaten it might have been a necessity today

Remove this Banner Ad

Back