Autopsy The Good (lol!) The Bad and the Beveridge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Treloar would be way better at HF than Sanders atm. Treloar still has a burst of pace and can kick on the run from past 50.

Sanders is not made for the HF role atm, I’d be chucking Sanders straight in the middle, he can move the ball sad quick as anyone in the team.
He didn't have it today,

Watched a fat Clayton Oliver outrun him all day

Thing that depresses me (amongst several things) is this.

When we had that disastrous end to 2023, most of us, although angry and disappointed, saw missing the finals as the recession we had to have, that the club would finally wake up and make some changes as clearly things weren’t working.

Fast forward to Round One 2024 and it’s almost a carbon copy of Round One 2023.

If we’d lost today but it was close, there was something tangible you could see that we were doing that was different, something, anything that could show that we’d improved, had changed things up, you could have accepted it and moved on.

2022-23 both started the same - beaten easily by Melbourne, lose the next week, Beveridge then gives the side the facts of life and changes things up, we have a backs to the wall win and look like we’ve turned things around, but the damage is already done.

We’re halfway there in 2024. Good thing we’re keeping up with tradition.

Few things more painful and more irritating than when someone, or something, promises to change and they smack you right in the face with the reality that they’re the same as they’ve ever been.

Remember though we got Croft an extra first rounder, so it’s not that bad.

Talent is definitely not our problem. It’s the clown making decisions.
That may well be, but it would have been on the premise that we were probably sacrificing a pick in the range of about 10-14.

Would we have done it if we knew it would be maybe pick 3-6?
What a year not to have our natural first rounder!

Let's hope Sanders and Croft are every bit as good as the hype.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that you could see the early confidence just ebb out of him as the game progressed. Resulting in what could be a career defining kick out that came sailing back over his head for a goal. He was absolutely slaughtered by the coaching panel today but some of his mistakes were just fundamental and exposed some serious flaws in his game.
Not sure how you think he was slaughtered by the coaching panel.

If he wasn't ready to play the role that was asked of him today, then that is on him. He has been in the system for quite a long time, got his shot in a round 1 match, started off with a big mark. He should have been flying confidence wise.

Then he went back into his shell, just when we needed him to be brave and creative.

Lobbs a fraud im sorry, looked great against an underman bottom 3 side in preseason but he does not do enough to be a 3rd tall in that set up. Plus he’s average in the ruck.

Very simple change to Darcy who is competitive, much better ruckman and light years ahead as a marking target forward. The structure will work just make the ******* change, Darcy is a genuine stud I can’t think of one thing he does worse than Lobb
I’m so sick of Bevo’s f’ing stubbon nature. If an idea is ever raised in the media he won’t try it just so the media is proven wrong.

Try Naughton back and put Darcy up forward with Jamarra. For the money we are paying naughton he can suck it up to help the team. If we have Naughton/Jones down back and Darcy/JUH up forward we start to have some talent we can really build around. Jones was a loan hand down there today whilst May and Lever just creamed it on our forward line.

It will take a new coach to force this and we will suddenly be a better side when it is finally done.

I really thought Buku was okay at the ground, he was soundly beaten a few times. Apparently some poor kicks late? Which I missed cos I was out of there

Again though he was on a hiding to nothing, he’s literally a mid sized player at around 190cm, I cannot believe we managed to go in undersized against ******* Melbourne, that is way too cute. We blew it right there tbh, it’s obviously not the coaches fault JOD got concussed but if he played today we’re not down another defender next week… I’m loathe to judge Buku until he gets a chance how every ******* sane person thinks he should play, 3rd tall with two KP players alongside him

If the planets have to align like that for Buku to satisfactorily play a role in the team then he might as well retire now.

He should be doing some honest self-evaluation, and rather than thinking woe is me, I got hung out to dry by the coaches. He should be kicking himself for not doing better with such a golden opportunity.

A few things get on my nerves about the club right now.

1 - On field we're as soft as butter. Softer maybe. Zero presence, zero mongrel, zero intimidation, zero leadership. We just get walked over. Happened for a while now. No player/s gets the side on their shoulders and drags them to victory. Just never ever happens. Embarrassing.

2. The constant constipated and confused look of our senior coach in the box. You're the coach, you've created this mess and have no solutions to fix it. It won't be fixed until you're gone.

3. The off season review. Clearly window dressing by an administration to soft to make hard decisions. Ever.

Absolutely infuriating.

So that was painful. But less painful than it has been in the past, because it was expected. There’s a reason why this year I was less excited for the footy to begin than at any time in more than a decade, because no matter the playing group changes there is a fundamental problem at the club.

I’ve no idea why I went today tbh. I’ve been fairly adamant the coach is at the root of the problems and had no confidence anything would be resolved, but it was just embarrassing to watch. It’s like we’re being coached by someone who is trying to sabotage the team. He’s completely lost it, and I hope he’s put out of his (and our) misery soon.

Don’t get me wrong, a chunk of senior players should be mortified at what they’re doing out there. English is borderline pathetic at times, Naughton did nothing but sit in May’s pocket for most of the day, the forwards are still jumping on each other all the time, the tackling is almost uniformly horrific, and I don’t know what’s happened to Treloar and Dale but no matter how much footy they get they’re a shadow of what they were. But they’re being led by someone who still thinks that VDM and McNeil are AFL players when all evidence points to the contrary - not only that, but he thinks they’re better options than Daniel and Macrae. They’re not perfect players for the modern game, but McNeil and VDM aren’t fit to lace their boots and it’s laughable that anyone with half a brain thinks otherwise.

Let the media pile on commence. Hopefully he’s gone at the bye and we can get some clear air away from the stink that’s set in here over the past few years. If the administration sit on their hands again this year they’ll be destroying the club.

At least it's being recognised...more of this. Turn the heat right up. This is on the coach. This is his team, his moves, his f*** ups.

"Beveridge regularly gives young, developing players or VFL jobbers tasks way beyond what they’re capable of, in a side that is good enough to not require them, and fails to react when they repeatedly get embarrassed."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I backed us for the Premiership pre-game (21-1), and will no doubt get even better odds now. I thought dumb mistakes (fumbles, poor handballs, bad decisions, kicking into man on mark etc) were more to blame than anything structural or selection, though Caleb showed how skilful and clean he is once on. There is something I don't get though, Melb got several cheapies out the back. But we don't get those, if the ball cleared our forwards, May or someone was always there, they just seem to hold position better. And this seems to have happened for years. There's probably a structural advantage I'm missing that overcomes the disadvantage of the way we set up (ie it's worth those goals we concede out the back for some larger benefit). Not sure!

So that was painful. But less painful than it has been in the past, because it was expected. There’s a reason why this year I was less excited for the footy to begin than at any time in more than a decade, because no matter the playing group changes there is a fundamental problem at the club.

I’ve no idea why I went today tbh. I’ve been fairly adamant the coach is at the root of the problems and had no confidence anything would be resolved, but it was just embarrassing to watch. It’s like we’re being coached by someone who is trying to sabotage the team. He’s completely lost it, and I hope he’s put out of his (and our) misery soon.

Don’t get me wrong, a chunk of senior players should be mortified at what they’re doing out there. English is borderline pathetic at times, Naughton did nothing but sit in May’s pocket for most of the day, the forwards are still jumping on each other all the time, the tackling is almost uniformly horrific, and I don’t know what’s happened to Treloar and Dale but no matter how much footy they get they’re a shadow of what they were. But they’re being led by someone who still thinks that VDM and McNeil are AFL players when all evidence points to the contrary - not only that, but he thinks they’re better options than Daniel and Macrae. They’re not perfect players for the modern game, but McNeil and VDM aren’t fit to lace their boots and it’s laughable that anyone with half a brain thinks otherwise.

Let the media pile on commence. Hopefully he’s gone at the bye and we can get some clear air away from the stink that’s set in here over the past few years. If the administration sit on their hands again this year they’ll be destroying the club.

Spot on

Rocket would do a better job with this list and he’s been out of the coaches boxes for years.

Pre season did its normal thing getting me excited, but then just before the game someone posted the ins-outs vs Round 23 last year and I realised not much was going to be different.

I’m back to where I was when Gowers or Honeychurch would be lining up for a set shot, wanting the goal for the in game enjoyment, but half hoping they’d kick it out on the full to accelerate getting them out of the team … but now applying to the whole team. The sooner we get to the point of getting experience into Bedendo, Darcy, Clarke, Buss (only as a 3rd tall) the better.

We, as in the club, are hanging onto a guy who has not finished top 4 in the best part of ten years and are still talking about him as though he’s in the highest echelon of AFL coaches. I have absolutely nothing against Luke as a person, he clearly has some fantastic attributes, but the ride is over and has been for some time. This group is crying out for a new voice and a new game plan. Watching this team is like watching Titanic. You somehow think it’s going to turn just enough and miss the iceberg but it never does.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Oh well..

Go to read the game day thread and Melbourne supporters are still salty about us 'being gifted' the 2016 flag 😂

There is something I don't get though, Melb got several cheapies out the back. But we don't get those, if the ball cleared our forwards, May or someone was always there, they just seem to hold position better. And this seems to have happened for years.
Our team, both forwards and backs seem to have a licence to all fly for marks. Every time the ball comes in. No one stays down for when the ball hits the deck. We never seem to learn. Everyone goes for the mark, everyone spoils each other, no one is there to pick up the crumb. Rinse and repeat endlessly.

Our team, both forwards and backs seem to have a licence to all fly for marks. Every time the ball comes in. No one stays down for when the ball hits the deck. We never seem to learn. Everyone goes for the mark, everyone spoils each other, no one is there to pick up the crumb. Rinse and repeat endlessly.

The intelligence levels in our team and coaching box have been very low for a while. Same issues, same mistakes, never fixed. Like a dog returning to their own vomit.

Genuinely feel like ignoring the club until Beveridge goes.

I backed us for the Premiership pre-game (21-1), and will no doubt get even better odds now. I thought dumb mistakes (fumbles, poor handballs, bad decisions, kicking into man on mark etc) were more to blame than anything structural or selection, though Caleb showed how skilful and clean he is once on. There is something I don't get though, Melb got several cheapies out the back. But we don't get those, if the ball cleared our forwards, May or someone was always there, they just seem to hold position better. And this seems to have happened for years. There's probably a structural advantage I'm missing that overcomes the disadvantage of the way we set up (ie it's worth those goals we concede out the back for some larger benefit). Not sure!

It’s because other teams have structure, discipline, run hard and try.

Sometimes those goals out the back are the result of individual comedy capers, as in the first quarter yesterday when Lobb and English somehow managed to fluff a high ball between them and the Melbourne player basically ran into an open goal. I'm concerned about our game plan, but some individual efforts and decision making yesterday were nothing short of deplorable.

2 goals from 6 shots 15m-30m range.

How good.
Considering we got the ball into our attacking fifty more than Melbourne for at least three quarters, this is where we lost the game. Marra and Weightman the two prime offenders.

It’s because other teams have structure, discipline, run hard and try.
It was particularly noticable that when the ball entered our forward line, extra Melbourne players had run hard to assist their defence. Then, when they had cleared the ball the same players ran hard to create options on the spread. Melbourne as a team worked harder than we did all game. Assuming that all teams have similar fitness at the start of a season, then you must conclude it's a strategic outcome, that is, coaching and motivation.

It was particularly noticable that when the ball entered our forward line, extra Melbourne players had run hard to assist their defence. Then, when they had cleared the ball the same players ran hard to create options on the spread. Melbourne as a team worked harder than we did all game. Assuming that all teams have similar fitness at the start of a season, then you must conclude it's a strategic outcome, that is, coaching and motivation.

Strategic, coaching and motivation...

How long must it go on? How long before the admin wakes up?

Hardwick won his last of three flags for Richmond in 2020, gone in 2023.

If our admin are still hanging onto the fact he delivered a flag eight years ago now then they also need to go.

Good clubs make tough decisions, good clubs are ruthless in demanding success, we're not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back