Autopsy The Good (lol!) The Bad and the Beveridge.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we’re mostly concerned when consistent VFL form goes unrewarded, not preseason training and a couple of practice matches.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Remember when Louis Butler got a couple of games at the start of one season, clearly wasn’t ready but that didn’t stop Mr mastermind. This happened last season too.

Apparently we executed our defensive work brilliantly during preseason but now it’s going to take some time to fix? Hmmm. Do we take that to mean we installed a poor system over the preseason?

Messy in the coaches heads
Messy in the players heads
messy out on the field
Messy results

Confusion still reigns

Last edited:

I could rant and rave but deadset what is the point.

The same crap got delivered because much the same bullshit systems are in play.

Buku did a few nice things and Sanders will be great once he finds his feet.

We need a new head coach.

Did they get selection right ?
Were the matchups correct ?
Were positional corrections made ?
Was the midfield mix correct ?
Were planning ,tactics and coaching complicit?
Were some players up to the challenge?
Or were some not giving their best effort ?
Does the club need another review?
Or just transparency and honesty!
Poor show first up all round .
Only A few exceptions unfortunately.
Not enough for winning AFL matches.

Very good questions. All I know is this team isn’t enjoyable to follow and hasn’t been for quite some time.

Can’t believe no one else has figured out how easy Melbourne are to beat, bringing an extra up to the stoppage and letting the extra, ie Lever one of the best intercept players in the comp, sit free in our forward line, is ****ing genius.

Go on I dare ya!

I do feel for him there because he really has no answers. He’s defensive and tries to go into overly detailed explanations, which is just hard to watch. When in reality they just didn’t show up for him. He can’t actually say that because it would be on him.

What I hate about the way we play footy is that teams don’t need a plan to beat us. They just wait for us to self destruct. Melbourne never left 2nd gear. They were happy to be handed gifts all day.

Last edited:
changes required next week imo relate mainly to attitude rather than personnel. If the players continue to refuse to work hard it doesn’t matter who plays. No run from behind to give overlap options, no leading into space or hard running to get into space to give an uncontested option, then nothing will change. We are a lazy team.

I wonder what the review went like in the off season.

Beveridge: “Guys, if Carlton had’ve beaten GWS in that final game, we would’ve made the finals. Just unlucky really. We’re all good.”

Club board: “Absolutely Luke. You’re spot on. Clearly we don’t need to look at you or question whether or not your team selection, tactics, game plan and ability to motivate the players are any good.

By all means keep what you’re doing. I’m sure we’ll beat Melbourne in Round One, just keep doing what you’re doing.

Now, who’s hungry? Station Hotel anyone? The Plough? Could go me a porterhouse!”

Bevo has been full of excuses for years and it's pretty gross.

Even that pre-season article where he blamed losses on 'in game injuries we couldn't cover'.

Come on, man. Stick your hand up and own it when you get things wrong instead of doubling down all the time. It's so tiring at this point.

Bevo has been full of excuses for years and it's pretty gross.

Even that pre-season article where he blamed losses on 'in game injuries we couldn't cover'.

Come on, man. Stick your hand up and own it when you get things wrong instead of doubling down all the time. It's so tiring at this point.
Ugh um Unorth, you know, you’ve got to uh, look at the game from another um, perspective, you know, uh, these boys, uh, play the game, uh one way and the media uh, you know. Look we’ll look at, uh, what we’re doing and there’s a couple of uh, how do you say, different angles, we can look at uh improving, but you know, well come back next week uh and keep working at what we’re ugh, doing.

****ing spare me this campaigners a fraud

I would be interested in what others thought of Bukus game. I thought he did some nice “third defender” type things but as a KPD he was found wanting. To lose multiple physical contests against Ben Brown is unforgivable. Bev seemed moderately happy with him in his presser.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would be interested in what others thought of Bukus game. I thought he did some nice “third defender” type things but as a KPD he was found wanting. To lose multiple physical contests against Ben Brown is unforgivable. Bev seemed moderately happy with him in his presser.
His pressure will come from Buss, JOD, Cleary for that 3rd tall spot though JOD can also can play the 2nd tall.

Was not that bad he would be a definite out but also in no way did he consolidate

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Didn’t mind him. Seems to be copping it from a few, but he was decent.

Couple of good marks.

Not sure that mother of all pains in the ass Ben Brown is/was a good match up for him though.

I’m also inclined not to point the finger at our defence for today, everyone knows that it isn’t that great, our “game plan” and our midfield left them exposed.

"A void through the middle"?! So what in-game tactics did he employ to counter that? (Rhetorical question of course, there are NO in-game tactical adjustments, rarely have been in 9+ seasons now. Oh well, onto Mars, and more of the blind leading the blind...)

It’s gotta be a 2nd tall and one of Coffield or buku
Agreed. Coffield looks a little slow so he probably needs to play 3rd tall. I’d have Buku ahead of him after today, ultimately switching Coffield for JOD.

Bramble was very good other than that one incredibly poor inside 50 kick. The rest of the backline was solid but again we struggle to actually defend. Most of the issues seem to stem for poor defensive structures in the middle of the ground though.

"A void through the middle"?! So what in-game tactics did he employ to counter that? (Rhetorical question of course, there are NO in-game tactical adjustments, rarely have been in 9+ seasons now. Oh well, onto Mars, and more of the blind leading the blind...)

Seems to often talk about ‘putting work into’ blokes that get off the chain but nobody ever seems to notice when it’s apparently happening.

One last whinge. Our skill level is deplorable. Our ability to miss targets, putting pressure on our own players or resulting in turnovers leading to opposition goals is unmatched in the AFL. I hope the coaching staff have a plan
I can't believe how poor our handballs are, the amount of time a guy had to stand and wait under a looping ball was inane. Or ones than fell short

Was not a fan. Didn't do enough actual defending (admittedly Brown is not an ideal match up but use your superior athleticism), and was ****ing atrocious with ball in hand (as expected). Give me Gardner for that match up every day if the week.

Can anyone explain what the actual **** that kick-in at the end was??? I still can't comprehend it.

Seems to often talk about ‘putting work into’ blokes that get off the chain but nobody ever seems to notice when it’s apparently happening.

Well there was Liber tightening up on Kennedy in the 2016 GF after half time!

I was thinking more of adjusting the way the whole team is playing to counter an opposition tactic. Like maybe a mythical plan B.

I didn’t mind it from where he’s come from. Took a nice couple of contested marks, fought hard, definately not the worst. Think with JOD back he fights for a spot with Coffield.

Definately didn’t reach my “no fly list” in the same way a couple of others managed this afternoon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back