Strategy The great, big ruckmen thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: mumford our number 1 ruckman

mumford does look good, considering the relatively small number of AFL games played. cant wait for ottens to come back though...

Mumford's effort yesterday was outstanding. He had a quiet one last week but came back strongly and more this week. Blake struggled early on Ryder, but as soon as Mumford arrived on the park he took over.

He senses where the opposition ruckmen is and doesn't have to take his eyes off the ball. Hence he was able to engage a big leaper like Ryder and get last hand on the ball with effect. Blake has to watch the opposition ruckmen and then search for the ball.

Mumford's work around the ground is improving every week. He is warming to this game and is making it look pretty simple. At the clearances (with Corey out)the order of attack on the ball was Selwood (just unbelievable), Ablett, Mumford then our 3rd small in the middle.

What a bonus - 4 on ballers at every centre bounce.

I agree that Mumford has moved ahead of Blake.

He is way better around the ground than Blake, and is rapidly catching him in ruckwork. By September it'll be the Otto & Mummy show.

But Blake is better in the ruck, so Blake. Mumford is possibly better around the ground, but its more important to win the first taps. Besides, its rare to have two ruckman that impose themsleves outside the taps....look at the last few flag combos - Keating/McDonald, Cox/Seaby, Campbell/Renouf :eek:.

Blake's spot is secure IMO

Put this in another thread. SHould probably be here

We are allowed to promote another rookie after round 11 so I can't see there being an issue with mummy staying up.

Problem is that if mummy plays in a premiership and blake doesnt then he will be gone. (you would expect) and that will not be good.

I am fine with mummy going past Blake, but not until ottens is gone

I've been a fan of Mumford since day dot, but I'd say a year until he's decisively past blake - but he still has a hell of a lot more room to improve which is a good thing.

Funnily, I think he's spurred Blake to throw himself into the packs a little more and be a little bit harder at it.

I've been a fan of Mumford since day dot, but I'd say a year until he's decisively past blake - but he still has a hell of a lot more room to improve which is a good thing.

Funnily, I think he's spurred Blake to throw himself into the packs a little more and be a little bit harder at it.

I agree with that, Blake seemed to be on the bottom of a few packs yesterday and seems to be trying hard to improve that aspect of his game.

[/b]

I agree with that, Blake seemed to be on the bottom of a few packs yesterday and seems to be trying hard to improve that aspect of his game.

I've been saying this for weeks now. Finally people are starting to agree. Blake is a dud. And honestly, what an indictment on him that he needs a ROOKIE LISTED player showing him up to improve his ferocity and desire to attack the ball. Trade him now while he still has some sort of currency. Honestly. If Mummy gets played for the rest of the year, he will be daylight aead of Blake. For all the people going on about Oto bein finished, Ruckmen often play into their mid thirties. He will still play on for another 3 years at least (until he is 32) which gives Mummy plenty of time. Trade Blake. Play mummy. Keep West as the back up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

[/b]

Agree that Blake tried to do more around the ground, but apart from his slow mobility, his decision-making seems too slow. A few times when he got the ball on the ground, he took so long to decide what to do with it that it ended up being turned over. I'm not sure if this can be improved upon.

[/b]

I also agree, it has been very noticable his contested ball work has gone up tenfold and that is good - he is clearly feeling a bit of pressure and not taking his spot for granted.

The first quarter yesterday was a disgusting effort from Blake. Ryder is a good player and you would expect him to beat Blake comfortably around the ground but the bigger, stronger, more experienced Blake should control the ruck contests, yet he got his pants pulled down by a relatively inexperienced ruckman.

I've dismissed Mumford taking over from Blake as the #2 on here before but it is starting to get very interesting. The thing that will save Blake is that when Otto comes back he will need a few games with a light workload and they won't trust Mumford to carry the ruck by himself.

Mummy is still hot and cold

ordinary last week and good against the Bombers, but even so I still think he is overtaking Blake

by the end of this season he could be streets in front

Definately; with Mumford being a lot better around the ground it has forced Blake to expand his repetoire which can only make us better. Still he REALLY needs to work on kicking. Opposition teams have him worked out on this.

Westy BOG two games in a row. The future Dean Cox is on his way to swamp the Mummy and Blake

Do you have any stats on Westy's game Riz?

Dennis Commetti obviously thinks Mummy will go past Blake from his commentary on the weekend, and I can't help but agree.

Blake spends half the game watching his opponent and the ball rather than contesting it, he would get an earful in amateur reserves the way he stands back and lets everyone else go for the ball but him.

Combine that with the way he watches his opponent in the ruck rather than the ball, and I don't think it is a long stretch for someone dedicated and hard working to move past him.:(

Do you have any stats on Westy's game Riz?

"Trent West had nine touches for the quarter and kicked a goal. He also had 34 hit outs for the match. "

Thats all i could find. Whoever does the GFC VFL reviews needs to take journo lessons :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy The great, big ruckmen thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back