The Doctor

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 4, 2001
In the number 19 jumper
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs
OK Folks this has nothing to do with football, but it's summer right? This thread has everything to do with grog.

What is your favorite wine, beer, spirit? And what have you discovered lately that you might like to recommend?

For me

Fave Beer:

1. Old Speckled Hen
2. Hobgoblin
3. Squires Amber

new discovery = Hargrave Hill Pale Ale from Yarra Vlley. Sensational

Fave Wines

none in particular as I'm a wine floosey. However

1. Petaluma Chardonnay
2. Scarborough Chardonney
3. D'ARenberg Dead Arm Shiraz

new discovery = Pauletts Andreas Shiraz 2001 (?) As usual I didn't take notice of the year!

Fave spirits

None

new discovery = none

Fave spirit: gin or tequila

Fave beer: for pleasure: Boags, Hahn or James Squire (various); to get ******: VB.

Fave wines:hard one for me. D'Arenberg Original grenache-shiraz (or is the reverse?), Wynns black label cabernet, Clare and Eden Valley rieslings (various). In fact, I think that rieslings are so good they deserve their own thread, to dicsuss the merits of Mitchell v Leo Buring v Mt Horrocks v Henschke v Petaluma v Grossett v Knapstein v Leasingham v Crabtree v Orlando St Helga......

Dry Rot said:
I think that rieslings are so good they deserve their own thread, to dicsuss the merits of Mitchell v Leo Buring v Mt Horrocks v Henschke v Petaluma v Grossett v Knapstein v Leasingham v Crabtree v Orlando St Helga......

I'm not a riesling man but as we speak I'm guzzling a Paulett's Polish River 2004 Riesling. Tried that?

Have you jumped on either the Grosset Polish River or Watervale rieslings?

The Doctor said:
I'm not a riesling man but as we speak I'm guzzling a Paulett's Polish River 2004 Riesling. Tried that?

Have you jumped on either the Grosset Polish River or Watervale rieslings?

Know Pauletts, but not that vintage. How is it? Would be great with Yamba prawns.

Both Grossets are excellent. A Watervale was part of a heavy damage grog bill at Tetsuyas when a fund manager mate took thre of us there. Have some '97 Polish Hill in the cellar.

Dry Rot said:
Know Pauletts, but not that vintage. How is it? Would be great with Yamba prawns.

Anything would go with Yamba prawns. Funny I was thinking of Yamba today. I was there earlier this year. Nice place indeed.

the Pauletts 2004 is a bit younga bit spritzy, it needs cellaring but I'm not one for that really. I just pop the corks regardless (I said I was a floosey).

If you like D'arenbegs Footbolt try the pirramimma stock hill as an alternative and save $5 per bottle.

DR, you need to get an Old speckled Hen into you. Go down to First Estate and grab a 6 pack then go and dine good Indian. Yummo!

Also on the Squires. Try the Porter with a good chocolate cake (no cream). You will find it difficult to stop streaking around the local precint when you do.

The Doctor said:
DR, you need to get an Old speckled Hen into you. Go down to First Estate and grab a 6 pack then go and dine good Indian. Yummo!

Also on the Squires. Try the Porter with a good chocolate cake (no cream). You will find it difficult to stop streaking around the local precint when you do.

Will look out for the Hen. The Porter & chocolate cake combo sounds pretty whacky. Would normally look at a vintage port or an old muscat for that task.

localyokel said:
Gin and tequila are my fave spirits. Dont know much about wine but may start to take an interest soon and I dont think I'll ever drink beer again.

there is a beer/tequila mix on sale called Solitas (sic?). Maybe you should give it a nudge.

Good beer is good for you! ;)

Beer:
Little Creatures Pale Ale
New Discovery - There's always a new beer to try.

Wine:
None

Spirits:
Johnny Walker
New Discovery - Just got my hands on a bottle of JW Blue label. Absolutely fantastic, but I'm unlikely to be able to afford it too often.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i know i'm not a Dogs fan (are probably my second or third least disliked team though ;)) but the sight of a grog thread was too hard to resist, so forgive my blowing-in-ness.

Anyway, we'll forget wines cause i don't drink them, and really dislike all that are put in front of me.

Favourite beers when drinking for a night out with the boys:
1) Tooheys New : the all encompassing beer. Nice refreshing taste, not too bad of a hangover generally, and doesn't make the gut swell up. Definetaly my fave of the "cheap" beers.
2) Carlton Draught : Basically the same as TN, but it's just a personal preference of mine for Tooheys New for no particular reason.
3) Tooheys Pils : Only comes in bottles, but for sure the best beer to grab and sit around the barbie drinking with. Plus i like looking like a complete dork by taking the sticker off and putting it on my arm :p

Other beers:
:: VB is acceptable, but does give me a rotten hang over for some reason. Can't really taste the difference between New, Draught or VB but VB gives me a HO.
:: Tooheys Extra Dry is nice, but the little extra cost means it only really gets the gig when going somewhere good like a formal or a 21st night out or something like that.
:: Melbourne Bitter is the traditional longie beer for me and my mates. There is an unwritten rule that any travelling by bus, car, foot, train, cab (basically any travel) that is going to last more than 10 minutes should always be accompanied by a longneck of MB unless it is not available.

Favourite beers i like drinking when i've just worked 10 hours and need to sit down to something REALLY REALLY nice, but can't afford to drink on big nights out:
1) James Squire Pilsener : awesome awesome beer. love the real full body flavour you get. It is just simply brilliant on tap or in a bottle, but obviousbly on tap is the preffered method, as with all beers.
2) James Boags Premium : such a crisp taste, it almost feels like you've got a soft drink in your hand it goes down so well.
3) Hahn Premium : brilliant brew. Much like JBP i reckon, but doesn't quite make your mouth tingle as much. Still a great drop, but i do reckon it's one of those strange brews that is better in a bottle than on top.

Other beers:
:: The entire James Squire range is all good. Love the textures, the flavours and the variety. It's all brilliant.
:: Guiness is fantastic and just love the thickness of it, but really can't get through anymore than a pint otherwise i feel like i've just had dinner.
:: Kilkenny is like Guinness on a lesser scale. I like it, but not quite as much as the old Guinness. Much easier to drink though cause it's not as thick.
:: Stella Artois is brilliant, and tastes very australian i reckon. City of City RSL is selling this for $3.80 a pint and has been for quite a while. Absolutely unreal deal. VB, TN and CD are $3.50 a pint there so i don't mind paying the extra 30c for a superb beer. Your lucky to find a schooner of local beer in the city for $3.80 let alone a pint of imported beer, let alone a pint of quality imported beer.
:: Heineken is an ok beer. Very overrated, but not something i'm gonna knock back. Paddy Maguires in the city, a pub around the corner from my work (and the centre of my social life for when i'm drinking with both friends and/or workmates), is currently selling it for $5 a pint so it represents the cheapest full strength beer there (VB, CD and TN sells for $5.50 a pint). This deal lasts for the month of December.
:: Steinlager is very bitter, but i like it. When i first started my job about a year ago Paddys was selling it for $4 a pint. Was hard to get used to at first, but i quickly become accustomed to it - how could you not?. About 3 months ago they upped it to $5 and then in the last few weeks to $6.50, so it's now off the agenda. Ohhh the memories though! i've had some of the biggest nights of my life on this stuff.
:: Redback is top stuff, and i like the lemon in the beer to give it a new taste. Sells cheap at another pub near my work (the Chamberlain hotel) so it's probably the value for money beer at the Chambo ($5 a pint, while VB, TN and CD sell for $3.80 a schooner), but generally it's quite expensive elsewhere.

Spirits have been off my agenda lately due to budget but when we get ourselves to the Pavillion Hotel i let loose. It's just about the biggest ********hole in all of the world, but at $2.50 a shot on Thursday nights between 5pm and 4am i don't mind getting in there, get 8 drinks for $20 and leave 30 minutes later.

Favourite Spirits - never worried about spirit prices as pubs and clubs pretty much charge the exact same for each spirit on their list (as mentioned you can get them for $2.50 at the Pav, around $3.50-$4 at leagues clubs and rsl clubs, and around $6-$7 at most pubs in Sydney):
1) Jack Daniels : this is my all time favourite spirit, and must be appreciated with nothing more than a dash of coke (or even no coke). Given i dislike starting on spirits, but sometimes if your a little behind the group and need a quick catch up a common drink i use is a half-nip of JD with 15ml's of coke. That way you don't get the full on JD taste in your mouth (once it's in there you can't drink anything else - it's just too good) while you can finish the drink within seconds and get your first schooner/pint under your belt.
2) Jim Beam : like JD but not something that is enjoyable without the glass being full of coke for me. Will drink if there's no JD and not complain but do prefer the JD.
3) Tequila : how good is this stuff boys and girls :D

:: Scotch. Love it. Need it. My favourite but generally don't drink it when i'm out because most pubs only have Johnny Walker (bad memory on this drink a couple of times even though i like the taste) and Black Douglas (which is ordinary at best). Most times i have it is when i'm sitting around at home and just want a real nice drink. Chivas Regal is really really nice i reckon and is usually the one sitting around in the cupboard. Jamiesons (an irish whiskey that is the exact same as scotch but isn't from scotland) is really good, and even better. The best i've ever had is a single malt one that i can't remember the name of. It sells a pub near me for about 80 dollars a bottle but is worth every cent. The name just escapes me though. They have a few others that sell for even more, but i've never had a chance to taste them and don't have the money too buy them.

Dry Rot said:
Speaking of beers, I was talking to one of one of my neighbours who might be able to organise my having a beer with Roger Rogerson.

Love to have a few cold ones with the Dodger, one of NSW's finest.

As long as Neddy doesn't drop by as well ...

My favourite Beers would have to be:
01) Coopers Sparkling Ale (I call it Coopers Red)
02) Coopers Original Pale Ale (Cooper's Green)
03) DAB - tasty German beer.
04) Carlton Draft

Liquour
Black Sambuca - truly the nectar of the Gods.

Cheers

Beer:

Carlton Draught

Spirit

Johnny Red

Wine:

Just about any Semillion Sauvignon Blanc from the Margaret River area, sensational with seafood, Hmmmm seafoooood.

wedesweiler said:
My favourite Beers would have to be:
01) Coopers Sparkling Ale (I call it Coopers Red)
02) Coopers Original Pale Ale (Cooper's Green)
03) DAB - tasty German beer.
04) Carlton Draft

Cheers
Now you have started. Coopers is pretty much entry level in the world of beer. I cant believe people own up to drinking Melbourne or even New :confused: The only Belgian beer mentioned thus far is Stella and even that is a Carlton Draught on tap beer in Belgium. If you want some real beers knock the scab off a Duval or Chimay. Most would probably start with the Chimay White and work up throught the other two (Red & Blue, getting darker and stronger). Hoegaarden is a wheat but they also have a higher octain model called Grand Crue which is a great starter. Many Australian lables have tried to emulate the success of these beers world wide. You may ask "Is this dude one of those f****** import/boutique beer ****s"? the answer is no. I have had a passion for beer since about 15 and have travelled the world pretty much along the lines of beer. I grew up drinking old, still where CUB t-shirts and knew there was more than Corona and Crown lager. I'm not 'beerist' as such but I dont like relying on my closest pub to make my drinking decisions for me. The Belgian Beer Cafe in Melbourne and Sydney is OK but is becoming a bit of a McDonalds venture like most Irish pubs. I usually get a slab of a Euro lager or Coopers and a few bottles of other beers and kick back. Other beers to look out for, and let me know if you need places to get them Melbourne or Sydney, are De Konninck an awsome beer form Antwerp, Lefe, Hoegaarden Forbidden Fruits (dark), Timmermans lambic range (very sour, some with fruit, but thats a whole new story) and Mouantain Goat- Good Aussie stuff. The tastes may be a little different at first but when you have one you know why its good.
Burp!

while visiting the USA in May this year, I became very partial to Bud Light. Full strength, low carbs and very easy to drink.
When drinking in Melbourne, I prefer Stella or Becks (on tap).
I am about the only person I know who prefers sweet wine to dry, so I won't go into that too much!
Spririt-wise, I like vodka, but my absolute favourite mixed drink is a black russian.

Black Thunder said:
The best i've ever had is a single malt one that i can't remember the name of. It sells a pub near me for about 80 dollars a bottle but is worth every cent. The name just escapes me though. They have a few others that sell for even more, but i've never had a chance to taste them and don't have the money too buy them.

15 year old Glenfiddich? Sells for about $85-$90.

Would love to buy a bottle, but can't really justify paying that sort of money :(

Cronos said:
Beer:
New Discovery - There's always a new beer to try.

Amen to that!!

But at the monent I've got to say I'm getting into the Mountain Goat - both brews!

Wine: purchased a great Tawny Port from the Yarra Valley last weekend, Fergusson's Old Tawny - the owner ********-stirred me for being the only guy in a Winery Tour, but I played it up big time (and kept Dearest happy for coming along!). That aside, again, will try anything: white, red or sparkling.

Spirits: don't drink spirits that often - but Dad's got a bottle of Chivas, and I don't mind that!

Cronos said:
New Discovery - Just got my hands on a bottle of JW Blue label. Absolutely fantastic, but I'm unlikely to be able to afford it too often.

My uncle always has a bottle of blue behind the bar, and is quick to offer a drink..Just one though ;)

Personally I prefer the black over the blue.. The blue just isnt as good as the cost would indicate.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Grog Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back