The Grog Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Dry Rot said:
Just got home from a messy dinner - among many had a '98 Penfolds Bin 28 Kalimna (SP?). Excellent.

nice one

I actually like the Bin 128 Coonawarra. I've knocked off a few of the 128's and 28's from the 2001 release. Bit young but very enjoyable. Looking forward to the 2002's

DR

Ever tried the St.Hallett Faith, especially 2002? It's a beauty. It's bigger brother the Blackwell is also a ripper but one that will need more cellar time. If you haven't get on em, I'll wager you won't be disappointed.

Finally the big Shiraz's are coming out.

I really enjoy the Bin 28. Its a bit of a poorman's Grange. I have several bottles of 93, 94 and 98 lying around. Great Barossa Shiraz (blended with other regions of course, but still mostly Barossa)

Bin 128 is also a fine drop. 98 was a ripper. Coonawarra and Shiraz is a good bet anyway.

You can't go past St Hallets. Old Block is a bench mark wine, and the Blackwell and the Faith are still very handy wines. Love St Hallets, my favourite winery.

Another brilliant Barrossa Shiraz is Rockfords Basket Press. Pricey, but worth it (especially if your paying with the company card).

Charles Melton is another to keep on eye out for.

Peter Lehmann makes some nice approachable Shiraz from the Barossa, that is reasonably priced. Most people would have tried it - it is on a lot of Resturant wine lists.

Fave Beer:

1. Samuel Adams
2. Stella Arnois
3. Heniken

new discovery = I'm always trying out new beers, most seem to be pritty good.

Fave Wines

None Really, Have had a bad expeience with Wine. I only Drink Yellowglen now in the Wine department.

Fave spirits

Canadian Club
Jack Daniels
Barcadi

new discovery: Barcadi and Coke - Great Drink

Dry Rot said:
Who makes that one? Area?

We had a Peter Rumball. Very silky.

Haselgrove Vignerons make it. It's from McLaren Vale. I hadn't heard of it until I tasted it just before Christmas, then gulped a bottle at a dinner party and got blown away by it. Have another bottle right in front of me which will be gone by the end of the week. About $26 should net you a fine bottle of the Black Billy. It absolutely wipes the floor with the Chandon Sparkling Red.

Bulldogchick76 said:
On Christmas day, we tried a variety of new wines, including a white lambrusco, and a white shiraz.
Both were sensational- very nice for summer.

White Shiraz?????

Sounds like somebody put too much brandy in the plum pudding!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dry Rot said:
Funny how really good wines are affected by evaporation....

Just tried another rare ale, again from Ol Blighty

Fiddlers Elbow

recommended!

I also have a bottle of stout called

Double Chocolate Stout.

Can't wait to give that a nudge. Should have a report by this time tomorrow.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Grog Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back