Oppo Camp The Hawthorn Racism Report

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol what was the point of standing down

Stopped calls for them to stand down while they popped down to the pub and waited for this whole thing to blow over...

Simon Pegg Wink GIF by Working Title

So the AFL condoning Clarkson and Fagan both returning to work and no guarantees the complainants in the original Hawthorn report will take part in this new investigation

Will make it hard for the AFL to impose any punishment if they don’t

So the AFL condoning Clarkson and Fagan both returning to work and no guarantees the complainants in the original Hawthorn report will take part in this new investigation

Will make it hard for the AFL to impose any punishment if they don’t
It's not surprising. These guys gave their accounts to the club sanctioned review under anonymity. They didn't seek publicity yet as soon as it came out 3/4 of Australia were calling for them to be unmasked so they can be vilified.
As we have seen with Goodes and even more recently with the Diamonds sponsorship saga, many Australians want black fellas to just shut their mouths and just play sport so they can be entertained and not dare speak about the racism they face. That just makes casually bigoted people feel uncomfortable.
It's therefore not at all surprising that the guys who made the claims in this case would rather leave it alone and get on with their lives. Speaking out against racism in Australia as a public figure is still a large burden to carry.

It's not surprising. These guys gave their accounts to the club sanctioned review under anonymity. They didn't seek publicity yet as soon as it came out 3/4 of Australia were calling for them to be unmasked so they can be vilified.
As we have seen with Goodes and even more recently with the Diamonds sponsorship saga, many Australians want black fellas to just shut their mouths and just play sport so they can be entertained and not dare speak about the racism they face. That just makes casually bigoted people feel uncomfortable.
It's therefore not at all surprising that the guys who made the claims in this case would rather leave it alone and get on with their lives. Speaking out against racism in Australia as a public figure is still a large burden to carry.
long bow, not particularly logical

long bow, not particularly logical

The post is a very good one. You have a habit of posting one line dismissive comments on other people's post's.

They want anonymity and yet leaked the report info to the media for the sole purpose of it blowing up in the national discussion. Can't have it both ways.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They also gave their accounts to a reporter separately to the investigation by Hawthorn thereby ensuring there was publicity

I have no issue with them wanting to remain anonymous, as you say there’s a history of indigenous people being targeted for speaking out

However, if Clarkson and/or Fagan are to be sanctioned for their actions, the allegations need to be tested and that would require the victims to participate in the inquiry.

What's the bet all the reported incidents occured outside the timeframe the AFL is "investigating"?
I too am cynical about the AFL's intent given that the outcome could smear a modern day great coach and team. However, given who is on the panel I am hoping that we can get some kind of positive outcome for the aggrieved parties be it the players who were wronged or, if it turns out to be the case, coaches who were incorrectly named.

How do you know that it was the players who leaked the story?
The players were interviewed by the ABC journalist independent of the Hawthorn review

I don’t know if they approached him or if he got wind of their involvement and did what journalists do in putting together a story

Either way, they cooperated with the journo and that’s how the story came out

Whether it would have seen the light of day had they not gone to him is open to conjecture

The players were interviewed by the ABC journalist independent of the Hawthorn review

I don’t know if they approached him or if he got wind of their involvement and did what journalists do in putting together a story

Either way, they cooperated with the journo and that’s how the story came out

Whether it would have seen the light of day had they not gone to him is open to conjecture
This is true but knowing how journos operate he would have approached the subjects and said, I have the review, I'm going to report what's in it, do you want to give me your position or not.
We don't know but I am fairly confident these guys didn't seek out the journo but vice versa.
Either way I don't believe they have done this for publicity (or we would know who they are) and after the blow up from the report , imagine they would like to keep it that way.

This is true but knowing how journos operate he would have approached the subjects and said, I have the review, I'm going to report what's in it, do you want to give me your position or not.
We don't know but I am fairly confident these guys didn't seek out the journo but vice versa.
Either way I don't believe they have done this for publicity (or we would know who they are) and after the blow up from the report , imagine they would like to keep it that way.
I think you're correct, that's likely how it played out. I think this whole thing is going to blow over, because the people making the allegations clearly don't want the public scrutiny (which is an understandable position) but you can't torpedo people's careers based on allegation alone. There will be some findings, some token sanctions/discussion on change, and then things roll on. The coaches are already back coaching, which is a clear indication on how the AFL thinks it will turn out.

I'm currently reading The Boys Club, a book about "power, politics and the AFL". It outlines how the AFL administration had basically built themselves to be beyond reprieve from external entities - they're basically the investigator, prosecutor, judge, jury and executioner in all their own matters. If you think this is going to actually go anywhere than directly under the rug beyond superficial platitudes you're dreaming.

I'm currently reading The Boys Club, a book about "power, politics and the AFL". It outlines how the AFL administration had basically built themselves to be beyond reprieve from external entities - they're basically the investigator, prosecutor, judge, jury and executioner in all their own matters. If you think this is going to actually go anywhere than directly under the rug beyond superficial platitudes you're dreaming.
Yeah it's obvious to most observers this is how the AFL operates.
I also agree that the coaches should not have their name and careers tarnished.... IF the accusations are not true. If the accusations are true then **** em.
I would say that we will know if the accusations are true in due course. If they are then this will be swept under the rug as suggested with a finding of 'not enough evidence'. If they are found to not be true the AFL will make sure to scream if from the rooftops to clear the AFL, Hawks and the coaches of any wrong doing.

I think you're correct, that's likely how it played out. I think this whole thing is going to blow over, because the people making the allegations clearly don't want the public scrutiny (which is an understandable position) but you can't torpedo people's careers based on allegation alone. There will be some findings, some token sanctions/discussion on change, and then things roll on. The coaches are already back coaching, which is a clear indication on how the AFL thinks it will turn out.

The feeling I get from the language used in every AFL press release/conference since day 2 of this story is that they know the affected families aren't going to participate in their review and that is 100% their preferred outcome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back