Game Day The Jed Adcock Cup Western Bulldogs vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
All very good questions.

But you're asking too much of us to set the benchmark before the game. We do hindsight a whole lot better. Ask me at 11pm.

Meanwhile your immediate plight reminds me of something else...

This has got to be the lucky beer of the week. Any idea where I can get some?

View attachment 930556
I'm just about to order my non-Lucky Meal for tonight which, if the gods deem it that we win, will become my Official Lucky Meal retrospectively. Hungry Jacks - One Big Jack Burger and one Hunger Tamers Medium Value Meal.

For some reason my area is no longer accessible to Maccas on Deliveroo which I used on the 4th of July. Whatever shall I do for my birthday next month? Damn this little flu thing! Last year I went to a hotel and had a porterhouse steak with pavlova for dessert. grrr...

I wish I could have had one of these instead of the Coke:

Last edited:

I watched him in the NEAFL Grand Final a few years ago he starred at Full Back, he might be in the team to free up Harris Andrews
to play the Harris Andrews role.
You are correct in that Eagles usually plays in defense.
His 4 AFL games were all in 2018 where he played in defense
He just got upgraded from a category B rookie due to a LTI.
However tonight he will play 2nd ruck to McInerney
So i think your Gardner will not have 3 goals scored on him by Eagles

Hope it is a good game tonight.
No rain all day in Brisbane and no rain expected tonight.

You are correct in that Eagles usually plays in defense.
His 4 AFL games were all in 2018 where he played in defense
He just got upgraded from a category B rookie due to a LTI.
However tonight he will play 2nd ruck to McInerney
So i think your Gardner will not have 3 goals scored on him by Eagles

Hope it is a good game tonight.

If anyone can get three goals scored on him by a ruckman, it's Gardner.

Hoping for a good game too.

Everyone knows the rain comes from the ground in Brisbane, it does not have to rain from above. Both teams have gone in fairly
tall so perhaps the Jane Bunn of Brisbane town has forecast dry conditions. Lincoln McCarthy to have a big one as we might be
a little Charlie Cameron obsessed.

Not expecting much at all tonight, lost quite a bit of faith in this team.

Hoping to see naughton make a successful return not expecting a lot of impact just for him to contest.

Want to see the midfield step it up a gear like they did last game.

Just looking forward to seeing vandermeer and smith again been the two highlights of the season

Think we're a chance tonight. Brisbane are a really good team who are coming off a poor performance, so you'd think they'd be keen to rectify that tonight. Just think that we can match them in the middle and really give them a shake.

Our forward entries were pathetic last week and that'll have to be improved significantly. Dale and Naughton (despite both having quiet years before their injuries) should really help in that aspect. Just hope that we come out switched on and ready to play, it seems like every three weeks we come out a bit lazy and get smashed. When we are up and about we can take it to anyone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We might be hoping that Gardner is a late out but he won’t be. Bevo has a soft spot for battlers who lack the skills required to make it at AFL.
It probably relates to his limitations as a player. He was a battler who struggled at 3 clubs and he feels for battlers and this clouds his judgement.

I am hoping for a late out in Ryan Gardner

Crozier does play taller than he is listed so feel like we needed to replace him with a tall. Would've preferred Lewis Young personally.

Really don't see it with him but he's only four games in and it's not unusual for players to turn it around after starting their careers poorly.

I'd pretty much written Dale off at this stage last year and he turned it around. I'd nearly written Hamling off halfway through 2016 and he turned it around. I don't love the decision but am willing to give him a chance to turn it around.

I need to broaden my reading. From some other thread (insert link thingy here)

What if right...what if Gardner played a blinder today. Could it happen? Is there anything in his make up to suggest that it's in him? And what's a pass mark for Gardner? How would we/ could we define a pass mark for Gardner? Could it/should it be allowing say naughts and English enuff rest time to win us the game.

What's the turn over to goal ratio limit. Would we be Ok with 2 turnovers that lead to goals for Brissy if we get up by a point and naughts and timmeh kick a goal coz Gardner chopped them out. So many questions, so many variables, so little time and nearly out of beer...

If we don’t notice him thats a pass. With him and Lewis Young I have these painful memories of them not just getting beaten blatantly defensively but then not even running hard to try and make up for it.

Gardywatch

After the last scratch match:

Daniel Giansiracusa on Ryan Gardner…
“I thought Gardy was really solid. He’s got the ability to read the ball coming in and usually in these games it’s in a bit more space. He was really assertive with his mindset and was willing to come off his opponent and support for his teammates. That’s his second game back now from a minor calf injury.”

He's 197cm and 93kg, only recently turned 23 meaning he's about the same ages as English and Schache (and more than year older than Young). So does that mean there is still some improvement there? I'd hope that's the case.

Another thing that gives me some faint hope is that we actually have a spine (of sorts) even without him - Keath-Cordy-Macrae-Naughton-Bruce. So unlike the St Kilda game, he's not one of the indispensable tall players in the structure. Also, his best game (statistically at least) was against Collingwood in Rd 1 when we had Cordy, Keath, Naughton, Bruce, Gardner AND Young.

Here are his career stats (from AFL Tables). We can talk about limited disposals and clangers but there are plenty of other culprits in those category. For me, as a key defender (or forward) the low number of tackles and the zero CMs are a concern (but 1%ers are good!):

View attachment 930403

Holding my breath and hoping he can surprise us. Our expectations couldn't be much lower, so perhaps he will!

To add to that, some stats via AFLstatspro ( https://www.afl.com.au/stats/stats-pro#/Discover/CD_I997501/Gardner-Ryan )

This year he has had 7 contested defensive one on ones according to Champion Data, in which he has lost 3. For comparison, Keath has had 23 contests and lost 8, Cordy 16 and 3, Wood 10 and 2 and Crozier 8 and 2.

Has only had one intercept possession in his two games and no intercept marks. Which doesn't read well with our defensive system based on playing in front and aggressively seeking intercepts. Kicking efficiency at 41% (5 of 12) which is shocking for someone playing in the back half but is a small sample size.

I can't say I've watched too many Brisbane games. Stef Martin out is helpful. How does Oscar McInerney go in the ruck? I expect English to beat him around the ground, but can the hit outs be neutralised?
The Big O McInerney is one of the biggest spuds getting about in the comp.

Martin out and McInerney rucking should be a decent advantage for English, especially around the ground.

Channel 7 going with the Jason Akermanis Cup.

Just asked him about his biggest career highlight - I missed part of his response but my take on what he said was that the premierships were good but kicking that goal against the Cats from the boundary was better. Classic Aker, always the team man.

Last edited:
I can't say I've watched too many Brisbane games. Stef Martin out is helpful. How does Oscar McInerney go in the ruck? I expect English to beat him around the ground, but can the hit outs be neutralised?

Good tap out ruckman. Can take a grab forward, and generally kicks fairly straight. English should beat him around the ground comfortably but McInerney will win the hitout battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back