The kids won't make any difference, yeah OK.

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s good his development isn’t hindered then

Because we actually prioritise him.

I don’t know where to find the forward target % numbers but Thilthorpe’s last year would be incredibly low.

I’m pretty sure it was something like:
1. Tex by a big majority
2. Fog
3. Rankine
4. Thilthorpe any remaining scraps

As I keep saying, that can’t happen again. My worry is when the heat is on, if Thilthorpe has a quiet game or two then we revert to focusing on Waller.

Round 3 last year Walker didn’t play, Thilthorpe takes 3 marks inside 50 and kicks 5 goals.

Round 4 he had 18 touches, 9 marks (5 contested) and 6 score involvements.

Thilthorpe didn’t play more than 80% game time for the remainder of the year. I don’t know the numbers for targets inside 50 but from my observations we barely kicked it to him. Thilthorpe was rated elite for contested marking numbers but below average for marks inside 50.

Can’t blame him for not taking over when the opportunities haven’t been there.
He can develop without kicking goals, being able to move up and down the ground getting involved in the game and taking contested marks (at an elite level) is hardly a useless skill to work on. A skill he wouldn't be able to work on as much if Tex wasn't there. It's all a tradeoff.

He can develop without kicking goals, being able to move up and down the ground getting involved in the game and taking contested marks (at an elite level) is hardly a useless skill to work on. A skill he wouldn't be able to work on as much if Tex wasn't there. It's all a tradeoff.

True, but I think developing forward craft is so important, particularly for a player like him.

Realistically he probably never needed to develop that aspect of his game as a junior because of his size and athleticism.

I’m not sure roaming between the arcs really develops that.

All I know is, Dowling looks like a gun in the making. I didn't get to see Taylor play in that last quarter but he strikes me as a player with some real attributes. Curtin not playing is not a good look. Especially since finals is out of the question. I dont know how playing FB at Sanfl level is helping him. We could really test him in a running position as per his strength. We already have Murray, Keane and Butts as tall defenders, plus Worrell, Max are not short either. Surely Curtin learning FB is not the priority. The club should get him in, shove him on a wing and let him go his hardest for a few games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back