The LOSS Response Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Not enough talls in the side today. Gibbs is not a back line player. Side for next week.

B: Duigan-------Thornton------Laidler

H: Russell--------Waite--------Yarran

C: Scotland------Gibbs-------Robinson

H: Walker------Henderson-----Simpson

F: Garlett-------O'hAilpin-------Betts

RR: Kreuzer, Judd, Murphy

Bench: Warnock, Bower, McLean Sub: Houlihan

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Starchamber that you?

What constitutes as having no plan B - simply losing a game?

Coaches have made plenty of changes in close games this year that has helped us in our wins.

We also tried a few things today.

I agree with you ppg, we saw many moves.

Just to name a few: Henderson down back, Jamo up forward, Yaz + Russel forward, Gibbs moved to the midfield.

I'm sure there were more "plan b's"

Today's loss is a blessing.

Certain players were again found out today and the coach and selectors need to take note pre-finals.

Carazzo - 6 turnovers. Butchers the ball to often. Will not be in our next premiership team so time to move him on.

Henderson - maybe might make it in a couple years but not this year. How faraway Waite?

Warnock - soft. Not a bad tap ruckman but terrible around the ground. Maybe ruck Kruezer with the Irishman playing forward and relieving in the ruck. How faraway is Sentanta?? At least he contest in the forward line.

Austin - just to soft in the marking contest.

Thornton - I know alot people would rate his game. I dont. Not strong enough in the marking contest. Ok when third man up in the contest. Disposal coming out the backline terrible. Like Carazzo needs to be moved on before September. How long out for Laidler and Duigan?

Good call. The heat certainly needs to be turned onto Carazzo. His disposal is terrible and not getting any better. Needs to be out of the team by September.

I guess that's your opinion but think back to the third quarter? We almost ran over the top of you with 5-6 of our starting lineup out, no doubt you played better than us today and deserved to win but I think we would have your measure at full strenght. Out of curiosity do the eagles have many injured to come back into the side?
To be fair, we have been absolutely rubbish in nearly all of our third quarters this year.
1st quarters - 156% of the opposition scoring
2nd quarters - 144%
3rd quarters - 76%
4th quarters - 142%

That being said, the 3rd quarter Carlton was closer to their actual form than what they showed for the rest of the game. Definitely a contender despite the result, and still a clearly stronger team than ours in the long run this year, due to the obvious strength in the middle, which is enough to take teams a long way nowdays, especially when the talls return.

Good luck for the rest of the year though.

What constitutes as having no plan B - simply losing a game?

Coaches have made plenty of changes in close games this year that has helped us in our wins.

We also tried a few things today.

At no stage did we release the fwd press and start with a normal fwd set up.

You must try and change things when the game isnt working.

Need to change things up when not working.

Having said that irrelevant game due for loss.

Writing was on the wall as soon as the teams came up.

If Bower was right to come in I would be absolutely furious with the MC. Don't think we payed the Eagles forwards enough respect and in the end we were just easy pickings for them.

Damn lucky that we're still in the 4 and Eagles do have a tough month coming up. Luckier still that the Hawks play the Pies next week.

Knowing that we'll get Waite, Robbo, Duigs and Laidler all back hopefully by next week will let me sleep at ease but at the end of the day can't help but feel that those premiership hopes may have taken a sour hit.

I thought the umpiring was poor overall but I won't blame the result on that. Truth is we got hit hard by injuries and ran into a team with a good roster of talls. Some of the players who came in just lacked some of the calm and certainty of those they replaced (oh for Jamison, Duigan and Laidler in the back half). We need Waite in as our target up forward. Henderson isn't ready to be the primary, he lacks the physical presence required. I think it is clear now how badly we need Curnow and Robinson to help us with clearances. Both are hard at it and will get their hands dirty, helping guys like Judd and Murphy at the same time.

Oh and Quintin Lynch better enjoy his vacation because he bumped Ellard, Murphy and Murphy again high, and caught Scotland hard in the first (no reprimand but it deserved a free). Dirty sniper going after shorter players and hitting them high, especially as frequently as he did

I'm not too concerned about this loss, I really did think we would struggle with some of those key players missing and once Jammo went down it really screwed us. It just goes to show you if you're down on man power you will struggle against decent sides. We really do need our full team out on the park if we are to match the top sides. In saying that I'm not using this as an excuse, it's just reality.

This is probably the loss we need to steel ourselves. I was a bit disappointed with how easily we gave the ball back to them all day. Just bombing the ball out of D50 wasn't smart. Their pressure was good but we never tried to compose ourselves. We just didn't have enough grunt in the midfield. We just can't rely on Judd against better sides.

Scotto was prob the only shining light today, whereas they had contributors all over the park. I still think we are better side than the WCE but they have improved ridiculously.

Hard to know what to take out of the game

It shows how important some of our 'lesser' players are really. West Coast are a very good side (Despite the criticisms of them this week). Their talls smashed as and they smashed us out of the middle. However, the losses of Duigan and Laidler meant that our defenders had to go one on one, rather than people leaving their man and killing the contest.

David Ellard had to fill the roles of Robinson and Curnow, which he shouldn't be expected to do. Very surprised McLean wasn't brough in. the absence of Robinson's attack on the footy was particularly evident

The inclusion of Waite would have really filled a hole, and allowed a big body up forward and down back. Eddie did well to kick a few goals on Glass, but it is a bit unfair to expect him to be competative in a marking contest.

Hopefully players such as ROK, Aussie (Who i thought did ok) and such learnt a bit about what it takes up forward, and will only be better for the experience if needed later in the year (if players go down).

IMO, Carlton should be dissapointed that they didn't entrench themselves in the 4, but losses happen, a loss now is better than a loss later in the season, and we are still in the 4. MY confidence that we can go far in finals haven't lessened after this game

Jamison getting injured was our major downfall. Why isn't Bower getting a game? We were way too small against a BIG West Coast unit. We also played right into West Coast's hands we needed to move the ball fast like we did in that good period in the third. We will be fine as long as Jamison is fine.

Henderson is light years away from being able to play as a fwd in the afl against good sides.

Henderson may cut it as our second tall defender which is a real positive.

Warnock is a disgrace.

Many of our fringe players are actually that.

Coaching staff no plan b.

However with so many players out loss is irrelevant.

Thank god you qualified your rant with that last line... otherwise I was going to accuse you of cutting and pasting this from one of your usual after-loss rants last year.

Hendo was our only true tall forward today and with the number of tall defenders the wet toast had in their side, he was going to struggle. I also noted that the Wet Toast players were holding on to our guys a lot an preventing them from getting to a marking contest whenever the ball came near them.

We need Waite in the side along with Carlos to make things a bit easier up in the forward line for Hendo.

Jamo going down early really hurt us down back and Aussie, playing his first game in a couple of years wasnt up to speed properly and got found out in defence.

The next couple of weeks are going to be interesting if we lose Jamo to injury

(Log in to remove this ad.)

• Our lack of quality talls will see us get found out in September.

Injuries have exposed us badly. Today was the first real test of our supposed depth, and we failed miserably. We have overpaid terribly in the Warnock and McLean trades. Pick 11, 24, and 56. One of the key reasons our depth is suspect.

Henderson is neither a forward nor a backman.
Face palm.

It only takes one loss for the usual suspects and wrist slashers to come out in force.

Although we can't keep playing Jamison if he's only half fit. Either he's fully fit or give him a rest, whatever the consequences.

I was really concerned when I found out that we would have to make at least 4 changes and whilst they were not 'key' players they were important to structure.

Duigan - we needed his work as the 3rd man in and we clearly lacked leadership and good ball use out of defense.

Robbo - really missed his intensity around contest as well as his clearance work.

Curnow - missed his hard body and tackling.

Hampson - missed his athleticism.

Then to lose Jamo really really hurt us.

They were on, we were not and they took full advantage.

The common theme with the first 3 is toughness and we lacked that.

He shouldn't go for either. The first was an attempted shepard that slipped high.

So what? Watch the Buddy suspension last week?

When you make a decsion to intentionally play the man (he did) and you make contact with the head (he did - with a raised elbow) you are in strife.

He did exactly the same thing in the 2nd quarter except the contact was to the chest.

Chest?

Unless we are talking about very different incidents, he was reported by the feild umpire for driving his hip into the top of Murphys skull.

The only thing that will save him there is if the contact gets viewed as incidental.

Like I said, today was our first REAL test.
I thought the Geelong and Collingwood games were our first test?

Today, we played poorly, yet we had a quarter of our side out and were beaten by a better side on the day.

Austin's first game in a year and O'Keeffe's debut.

Kreuzer has missed a lot of football.

Not picking an in and under in Mclean after losing two to injury was a poor decision by the match committee. Ellard and Carrazzo were found wanting with Judd and Murphy quiet. Judd had a shocker, but he's clearly carrying that ankle injury he sustained against the Cats. Or something to do with his legs. Doesn't look 100%.
????

Please dont use Richmond as a measure to justify our depth.

It's a low starting point
How is your Walker thread going? :eek:

I guess that's your opinion but think back to the third quarter? We almost ran over the top of you with 5-6 of our starting lineup out, no doubt you played better than us today and deserved to win but I think we would have your measure at full strenght. Out of curiosity do the eagles have many injured to come back into the side?
Disagree.

If we are talking about what if's, what if we had kicked straight (the way we often do). Would have been a 10 goal win.

Its hard to know. Waters definitely is. I reckon Gaff or Stevens would be better ins than Ebert (though he played ok).

Regardless it is all academic but would love to see it. The fact we are also debating it about a matchup at Etihad and not Subi I think is a great representation of the improvement WC have made.

I tend to think you are over playing the importance of jamisons departure. Whilst no doubt important and he would have offered more than Gibbs and henderson, the real issue was the midfield.

Naitanui and Cox gave first supply and Selwood and Kerr shut Judd out of the game and found ball themselves to effectible cut of your supply and feed their forwards.

I thought Shuey broke even with Murphy and pressured him well most of the time.

Only Scotland could say he won his battle but West Coast simply had too many good runners.

I thought the umpiring was poor overall but I won't blame the result on that. Truth is we got hit hard by injuries and ran into a team with a good roster of talls. Some of the players who came in just lacked some of the calm and certainty of those they replaced (oh for Jamison, Duigan and Laidler in the back half). We need Waite in as our target up forward. Henderson isn't ready to be the primary, he lacks the physical presence required. I think it is clear now how badly we need Curnow and Robinson to help us with clearances. Both are hard at it and will get their hands dirty, helping guys like Judd and Murphy at the same time.

Oh and Quintin Lynch better enjoy his vacation because he bumped Ellard, Murphy and Murphy again high, and caught Scotland hard in the first (no reprimand but it deserved a free). Dirty sniper going after shorter players and hitting them high, especially as frequently as he did
Settle down, Lynch is no sniper.

Has never gone hard at the man, not even this season. No excuse but I would suggest clumsiness/lack of awareness are to blame not anything malicious.

Definitely not a thing I like seeing though.

we've played with such intensity the last month i was expecting a small let down sooner or later.

these days it all starts and ends with the midfield and our midfield was smashed; beaten to the ball and a lack of spread killed us.

a great lesson was learnt in how important winning those contested possesions/ tackles/ clearences are.

we will have to implement a rotation policy sonner rather than later as our boys were not as energetic as usual.

I tend to think you are over playing the importance of jamisons departure. Whilst no doubt important and he would have offered more than Gibbs and henderson, the real issue was the midfield.

Naitanui and Cox gave first supply and Selwood and Kerr shut Judd out of the game and found ball themselves to effectible cut of your supply and feed their forwards.

I thought Shuey broke even with Murphy and pressured him well most of the time.

Only Scotland could say he won his battle but West Coast simply had too many good runners.

This:thumbsu:

We got beaten all over the ground not just down back. There backline destroyed our forward line.....how many marks did we take inside 50 today? barely any!

Cox was incredible, kerr, sellwoodx2 played solid games and nulified our midfield. Gee we missed Robbo out there today.

West Coast were the better team today, kudos to them...hopefully we can learn from this loss and fix the structural problems coming out of defence and lift our intensity in the coming weeks.

We were terrible.
They were good.
Win next Saturday, move on.

+1 for this... :thumbsu:

It's a loss... the eagles played better, we lost Jamo early in the piece and with our other defensive outs, we were in shocking shape down back.

Time to move on and start looking at next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

The LOSS Response Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back