blues76

Team Captain
Sep 3, 2004
Oakleigh
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
i know its all hindsight, but massie was the one kid i picked whilst watching our ressies that i knew would be good...to lose him and nelson (who?) for 2 absolute DUDS eccles and gallagher...gee wizzzz....

I reckon a lot of our players would look a lot betetr in a good side like the Crows. How would Massie be going if he were still at Carlton? Probably not quite as well.

BlueWorld said:
I reckon a lot of our players would look a lot betetr in a good side like the Crows. How would Massie be going if he were still at Carlton? Probably not quite as well.

I disagree. He was better than a lot of other players the Navy Blue have kept in their team over the years.

blues76 said:
i know its all hindsight, but massie was the one kid i picked whilst watching our ressies that i knew would be good...to lose him and nelson (who?) for 2 absolute DUDS eccles and gallagher...gee wizzzz....
I'm glad someone reminded me that Wayne Brittain couldn't tell talented footballers from potatoes if his life depended on it.

I was ****ed off at this trade at the time. Massie had his leg broken earlier in the year as a result of a teammate's helicopter pass. He'd established himself as a smooth, quality half-back, but once his leg healed it seemed that Brittain had it in for him and he couldn't crack it for a game again.

So Brittain trades him for Andrew Eccles. At the time, a guy told me he was an Eccles fan. I replied that I was a Massie fan, and that Adelaide was getting a ready made 100-game player. Eccles was, of course, a spud of the highest order - how he got a game in the Adelaide midfield will always be one of the universe's mysteries. Massie has managed to hold his place in a crack team - not a star to be sure, but still holding his own.

Wayne Brittain, you were an idiot for this trade. Luckily we got rid of him before he dumped Fevola too.

The Ben Nelson/David Gallagher trade was dud-for-dud, so no biggie there.

When you look at who we got in the trade Gallaghar and Eccles ( In my opinion one of the worst players ever to pull on a Blues jumper) we certainly lost out, but how long do you have to wait for a player to deliver?
In 2004 i was in Adelaide for the Blues vs Power game and on the Saturday went and watched Norwood vs The Eagles with my mates and let me tell you Massie was playing for Norwood and struggling big time, i was suprised he wasn't cut that year but i don't know what his contract details were.
Plus there have been far worse trades historically (spelling) by us,
Mansfield from Cats for pick ? with that pick (sorry i cannot remeber the exact pick number) the Cats picked up Paul Chapman. And of course the pick we gave the Saints for gun recruit Craig Devenport was used by the 'Aints to pick up Barry Hall....Now he would have been a handy pick up.

Mentallo said:
In 2004 i was in Adelaide for the Blues vs Power game and on the Saturday went and watched Norwood vs The Eagles with my mates and let me tell you Massie was playing for Norwood and struggling big time, i was suprised he wasn't cut that year but i don't know what his contract details were..
Scan the AFC board pre-Mayy and most of us were calling for Massie to go as well. It has only been injury that has kept him in the side and all credit to him he has taken it 2 handed...but fair to say he was heading out the door, if not for his opportunity

Massie would be in Carlton's top 5 best players if he was still there.

Whitnall
Fevola
Murphy
Massie
Stevens
No he wouldn't it and it isn't hard to get a lot of the ball and look good in a high possession side like the Crows. Russell, Simpson and Walker are better talents than Kris who is a good ordinary player and Massie turned the ball over everytime I saw him kick it last week.

No loss in the scheme of things and Gibbs would be a better addition to any side bar the Crows. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cypher said:
No he wouldn't it and it isn't hard to get a lot of the ball and look good in a high possession side like the Crows. Russell, Simpson and Walker are better talents than Kris who is a good ordinary player and Massie turned the ball over everytime I saw him kick it last week.

No loss in the scheme of things and Gibbs would be a better addition to any side bar the Crows. ;)

you have to be kidding? Massie has regularly been in the crows players this year - so on current form he would easily be in carltons top 5.

Any consistent player in the crows line up > any consistent player in the blues. It has been the "fill in's" that have gotten adelaide where they are this year. Massie has been a star.

The Massie trade was obviously poor.........but to be fair, Massie was just treading water at the time and was not showing any signs of improvement after 4 seasons on our list.

A simple case of another top draft pick who thought stardom would take care of itself. To his credit, the trade was obviously the kick in the guts he needed to kick start his career. Massie would certainly have been handy off a HBF the past few years.

Ah hindsight............that old chestnut.

Some of you guys have gotta be kidding yourselves. We drafted Massie in 1997. For 8 years he's done absolutely nothing for Blues and then Crows then finally he's playing ok in his 9th season and he's suddenly a "gun". Pffft.
How long were we supposed to wait for him??

The worst thing is, in our shrewd drafting, we got Massie with pick 7 ahead of:
8 Tarrant and
9 Chad Cornes

Not to mention the later finds in that draft - Solomon, Nick Stevens, Simon Black, Goodes. I remember at the time we "couldn't believe he slipped through" and said he "Is a Paul Roos type defender". Crap.

Makes me sick how much we've stuffed up any early draft picks we had through the '90s then early '00s.

The Massie trade was fantastic.
Didn't we get Gallagher and Eccles or someone like that.
Gee that was a success, those 2 have been fabulous performers for the club. Game after game they stand tall.
Wow.... they must both be due to pay 200 games each soon?

:p

DIG said:
The worst thing is, in our shrewd drafting, we got Massie with pick 7 ahead of:
8 Tarrant and
9 Chad Cornes

Not to mention the later finds in that draft - Solomon, Nick Stevens, Simon Black, Goodes. I remember at the time we "couldn't believe he slipped through" and said he "Is a Paul Roos type defender". Crap.

Makes me sick how much we've stuffed up any early draft picks we had through the '90s then early '00s.

Always funny how everyone is an expert years after the fact........should have.......could have.......why didn't we?.........fair dinkum, every club has a similar storey to tell when it comes to drafting, especially during the 90's where it was an inexact science compared to the amount of time, effort and resources clubs devote to recruiting now.

For every Massie, Vance & Livingston there is a Fisher, Hamill & Simpson.

Gets! said:
Massie would be in Carlton's top 5 best players if he was still there.

Whitnall
Fevola
Murphy
Massie
Stevens

1. Fevola
2. Whitnall
3. Stevens
4. Murphy
5. Waite
6. Scotland
7. Lappin
8. Simpson
9. Walker
10. Koutoufides
11. Fisher

All of the above would get a game before Massie:thumbsu:
Top 5 get yer hand off it mate:rolleyes:

DIG said:
Some of you guys have gotta be kidding yourselves. We drafted Massie in 1997. For 8 years he's done absolutely nothing for Blues and then Crows then finally he's playing ok in his 9th season and he's suddenly a "gun". Pffft.
A little bit petty, but he had a ripper season with us in either 2002 or 2003. He's re-finding that form this year. Doesn't prove your point wrong, just a certain fact in your point.
Here's what we've all gotta remember...at the time it didn't seem THAT bad. I was pretty happy, as a Crows fan with the trade but didn't think it was a steal. As someone mentioned Nelson and Gallagher cancelled each other out. I just didn't expect Eccles to be dreadful at Carlton because he wasn't that bad for us.
At the time, Eccles for Massie only seemed slightly stacked in our favour in my view. I liked Eccles. Knew he wasn't too good but seemed on the same page as Massie. Wrong. :eek:

Sanguinarius said:
you have to be kidding? Massie has regularly been in the crows players this year - so on current form he would easily be in carltons top 5.

Any consistent player in the crows line up > any consistent player in the blues. It has been the "fill in's" that have gotten adelaide where they are this year. Massie has been a star.
He would not be in Carlton's top five and the players blueheart mentioned are better players than Kris. It's easier to play well when you're a fringe player in a top side than a struggling one and he's no gun.

Walker would tear it up if he was released onto a wing for the Crows and look even better than Massie.

I think it says much about Kris Massie that he has played just over 100 gms into his 9th season. I agree it was a bad trade with Eccles (now playing for East Ringwood) but as much as I liked Kris Massie as a player he wouldn't have made any difference to our current plight.

As for being in Carlton's top 5 thats fair dinkuim laughable.

Massie couldn't even get a game at the start of the year and it looked like he was gone. Injuries hit and he came in and to his credit he has picked up and is playing decent footy.
At the time we all thought the trade was dud for dud and until this year, although Massie had played slightly better, it looked like that.
As for comments from some of the Crows supporters that he has been regularly in the best players, or that he is in Carlton's top 5, get your hand off it.

Remove this Banner Ad

the massie trade

Remove this Banner Ad

Back