Roast The media....*Shakes Head* Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not to mention that small matter of Indian students being beaten and abused on public transport and various places around Melbourne not all that long ago. And not just a few isolated incidents either. Young Indian's were suddenly being encouraged by their government to stay away from Australia, Melbourne in particular.

But thet were getting beaten by another minority so it wont be racism even though it was just nit white on black or vice versa

You're preaching to the choir here.

Our reactions here aren't about 'finger-pointing' or 'tit-for-tat', they're predicated on the tsunami of sanctimonious douchebags in the media and your supporter base who paint us all as feral, violent, drunken racists while scoffing at the mere suggestion that there is an undesirable minority of those types at yours and indeed every club.

Hop on social media. There are Crows fans left and right sinking the boots into our club while claiming these incidents are "frequent" and indicative of a "culture problem".

And what's worse, it's not about a completely understandable urge to stamp out the scourge of racism, it's all about point-scoring. When the 2013 incident involving a Crows member being fined and banned for racist language aimed at Geelong's Travis Varcoe has been brought up, instead of derision approaching that aimed at the banana-thrower, there have been dismissive reactions such as, "it happened 4 years ago", as if it doesn't count because it happened in some ancient era before Adelaide Oval or the arrival of Eddie Betts.

I can't stress the madness of this schism enough.

It's totally ok to racism-shame a socioeconomic bottom-feeder on the verge of mental incompetence for spewing unfiltered bile on social media because she's a filthy Port supporter, but when faced with the revelation that a presumably competent Adelaide member was actually evicted from Football Park for shouting a racist slur at a footballer, within earshot of countless patrons, it's a denialist rug lift.

Even now, in multiple comments sections online you can read Crows fans accusing Kane Cornes and the Port Adelaide investigation into the Crows supporter who vilified Ryder of lying, or it being concocted in a phantom bid to take the heat off us. Where's the same disgust and foaming at the mouth for the Port Adelaide indigenous player? Or does his guernsey invalidate his skin colour? Maybe he deserved it because he hit Riley Knight?

I suggest if you'd like to bang your anti-racism drum and educate football fans writ large, you should probably start with the hypocrites in your own flock.

That is likely to be my favourite post of all time and it is sad that this is the case as it is over something i wish we were not even having to talk about. Firstly, racism does not belong in our game nor does fighting in the stands. I for one don't wish to see large metal fences splitting us and them and this would only exacerbate the issue even more upon leaving the game in my opinion.

This week I have not been able to fathom the amount of absolute vitriol coming from the mouths of afc (they don't deserve capitals) football club supporters, channel 9, channel 7, 5AA and the Advertiser. Unfounded, well to be fair probably not in some respects as these events 'did' happen. HOWEVER it is the way this is reported time and time again through Adelaide media channels that annoys me the most. They find someone who's posted very racist and derogatory comments in social media and while i may have my own opinion of her and her intelligence i'll not comment as my thoughts may also be taken as derogatory so i'll keep them to myself. They then portray her as the face of the club. They report about the fight and blame it solely on PAFC supporters yet a number of them were not in any supporter gear so just because there weren't any clown uniforms seen, this doesn't necessarily mean there were no crows supporters involved.

As for how we've responded as a club and taken ownership of our supporters who abused Betts, including actually trying to do something about it by offering rehabilitation compared to Fagans response is reprehensible. Has he even mentioned the word Ryder?

Anyway, as i said the post above was spot on!

You're preaching to the choir here.

Our reactions here aren't about 'finger-pointing' or 'tit-for-tat', they're predicated on the tsunami of sanctimonious douchebags in the media and your supporter base who paint us all as feral, violent, drunken racists while scoffing at the mere suggestion that there is an undesirable minority of those types at yours and indeed every club.

Hop on social media. There are Crows fans left and right sinking the boots into our club while claiming these incidents are "frequent" and indicative of a "culture problem".

And what's worse, it's not about a completely understandable urge to stamp out the scourge of racism, it's all about point-scoring. When the 2013 incident involving a Crows member being fined and banned for racist language aimed at Geelong's Travis Varcoe has been brought up, instead of derision approaching that aimed at the banana-thrower, there have been dismissive reactions such as, "it happened 4 years ago", as if it doesn't count because it happened in some ancient era before Adelaide Oval or the arrival of Eddie Betts.

I can't stress the madness of this schism enough.

It's totally ok to racism-shame a socioeconomic bottom-feeder on the verge of mental incompetence for spewing unfiltered bile on social media because she's a filthy Port supporter, but when faced with the revelation that a presumably competent Adelaide member was actually evicted from Football Park for shouting a racist slur at a footballer, within earshot of countless patrons, it's a denialist rug lift.

Even now, in multiple comments sections online you can read Crows fans accusing Kane Cornes and the Port Adelaide investigation into the Crows supporter who vilified Ryder of lying, or it being concocted in a phantom bid to take the heat off us. Where's the same disgust and foaming at the mouth for the Port Adelaide indigenous player? Or does his guernsey invalidate his skin colour? Maybe he deserved it because he hit Riley Knight?

I suggest if you'd like to bang your anti-racism drum and educate football fans writ large, you should probably start with the hypocrites in your own flock.
One among many reasons I wish to up and leave this dying state

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Apparently there's something wrong with all of us. Robinson calls on us to dob these people in. Which is exactly what has been done, it's been called out for the despicable behaviour it is. Glass houses and stones don't exist in Victoria thought do they!

The hypocrisy is strong with this one!

1n263w.jpg

Just for the record Robbo, the definition of vilification is "abusively disparaging speech or writing." Which is kind of all he does

• Collingwood fans racially-abuse Nicky Winmar and Gilbert McAdam at Victoria Park all day, triggering the legendary photo of Nicky pointing to his bare belly.

• Nathan and Zak Jones' dad gets coward punch-KO'd by three Collingwood fans at Queens Birthday.

• Numerous Collingwood fans hold up a banner saying "STOP THE MOSQUES"

• A Collingwood supporter calls Adam Goodes an 'ape' triggering an endless booing campaign that pushes the Sydney legend into retirement.

Yeah nah bloody South Aussies.

• Collingwood supporter racially abuses Joel Wilkinson over the fence (whistle actually blown by then Collingwood player Dale Thomas).

The difference between the reaction of our club officials and Fagan in this matter is damning really. We take immediate action, announce everything ourselves and offer edicuation programs to supporters of both clubs, while they make a short, generic anti-racism statement covering nothing in order to keep the issue at arm's length and allow the media to continue to sink the boot in.

And FMD they are genuinely going with a line of "There is no proof that it happened, Port have probably made it up" on the Crows board.

While at the same time calling for things like an alcohol ban for our games, or for the hill to remain empty for our next home showdown.

Absolutely staggering.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One among many reasons I wish to up and leave this dying state

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I think Robbo has shown that if this is the reason for leaving you'll have to go a bloody long way, maybe Mars?

This shit has got to stop.

Regardless how much you hate us and vice versa, there's absolutely no reason to abuse someone racially.

We need to work together to stamp this out. It will only work if you have the character to make the person next to you an example if they are the one being abusive.

Pointing fingers saying who's wrong or which club has released a better statement won't help. We are all complicit in this, we will be until it no longer is an issue.

One of the fights on the weekend stemmed from a power supporter defending a crows supporter getting spat on. That's the type of human I'd watch the footy with. I don't condone fighting but I support standing up for others.

Sorry for the essay. All the best for the remainder of the year.
Let's hope you're as vocal on your own board about this as they're the ones who need 'educating'

It's a gradual process but...........haven't bought the crapvertiser for several years, just deleted adelaide now from my bookmarks, no longer watch ch7 evening news after Monday's disgraceful effort, not sure what's left.

There was a segment on the channel 2 news last night re the officials of both clubs meeting at Adelaide oval to discuss racist comments from supporters, and (I assume) how to combat the situation.

Footage was shown of Fagan entering the ground, but no Port official was shown, or mentioned, except for a comment that we were also involved.

I haven't read Rucci's article, but my understanding is the meeting was an initiative of KT, which for some reason got zero mention.

Unfortunately it came across as just another case of selective reporting in this state.

That is likely to be my favourite post of all time and it is sad that this is the case as it is over something i wish we were not even having to talk about. Firstly, racism does not belong in our game nor does fighting in the stands. I for one don't wish to see large metal fences splitting us and them and this would only exacerbate the issue even more upon leaving the game in my opinion.

This week I have not been able to fathom the amount of absolute vitriol coming from the mouths of afc (they don't deserve capitals) football club supporters, channel 9, channel 7, 5AA and the Advertiser. Unfounded, well to be fair probably not in some respects as these events 'did' happen. HOWEVER it is the way this is reported time and time again through Adelaide media channels that annoys me the most. They find someone who's posted very racist and derogatory comments in social media and while i may have my own opinion of her and her intelligence i'll not comment as my thoughts may also be taken as derogatory so i'll keep them to myself. They then portray her as the face of the club. They report about the fight and blame it solely on PAFC supporters yet a number of them were not in any supporter gear so just because there weren't any clown uniforms seen, this doesn't necessarily mean there were no crows supporters involved.

As for how we've responded as a club and taken ownership of our supporters who abused Betts, including actually trying to do something about it by offering rehabilitation compared to Fagans response is reprehensible. Has he even mentioned the word Ryder?

Anyway, as i said the post above was spot on!

My point once again when just moments ago the Channel 7's 'Morning Show' runs a story on racism in sport but the headline that stays on the screen for all to see is: "AFL CEO slams racist fans - Follows taunts aimed at Crows Player Eddie Betts". I just don't understand why if we are not trying to make this specific to one player they couldn't have just put "Follows taunts aimed at both Adelaide Crows and Port Adelaide Players". Pretty simple really!

My point once again when just moments ago the Channel 7's 'Morning Show' runs a story on racism in sport but the headline that stays on the screen for all to see is: "AFL CEO slams racist fans - Follows taunts aimed at Crows Player Eddie Betts". I just don't understand why if we are not trying to make this specific to one player they couldn't have just put "Follows taunts aimed at both Adelaide Crows and Port Adelaide Players". Pretty simple really!
This is my point, and it's just the way ruthless Fagan likes it to be portrayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back