Roast The media....*Shakes Head* Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol now you're honestly comparing SANFL players in the AFL era to Robbie Gray's exploits in the highest league in the land? I........give up.
See, this is just the type of pretentious shit that we have to put up with.
At the time these fellas were plying their trade, there was not an AFL as we know it. What there was, was a competition in this state that was, in the main, just as good as that played in Victoria and for you to denigrate the superb footballers that played in this state at the time, just shows your ignorance of the game in general.

You lack the conceptual intelligence to mount any sort of argument pertaining to the merits or otherwise of footballers.

Paul Northeast made Gary Abblett senior shit his pants when we played Geelong down here and he was dragged. Kym Kinnear took Carlton to the cleaners one Champions of Australia tournament, so much so that after the game, the Carlton players were in shock at what they had just been subjected too. Leslie destroyed Brereton and all the other Victorian forward big men in a state game that was a fair dinkum as you could ever see and he was still playing for piddly little Port Adelaide. Why the hell do you think we wanted to piss off out of SA? The Vics were stealing all our players who just walked into their sides and stared and you have the audacity to disparage our players of 3 decades ago?

Leslie would tear Gray another one every time he would have played against him, then, now and in the future.

Northalives are you honestly saying Richard Foster, Stephen Carter and Rohan Smith were all better than Robbie Gray?

Carn
Did you not read my post? I said that "pound for pound", Gray is a better player, no question.

All I'm saying Spadge is that Gray goes good but I really do feel that people get very carried away in the moment and perspective gets chucked out.

Last edited:
See, this is just the type of pretentious shit that we have to put up with.
At the time these fellas were plying their trade, there was not an AFL as we know it. What there was, was a competition in this state that was, in the main, just as good as that played in Victoria and for you to denigrate the superb footballers that played in this state at the time, just shows your ignorance of the game in general.

You lack the conceptual intelligence to mount any sort of argument pertaining to the merits or otherwise of footballers.

Paul Northeast made Gary Abblett senior shit his pants when we played Geelong down here and he was dragged. Kym Kinnear took Carlton to the cleaners one Champions of Australia tournament, so much so that after the game, the Carlton players were in shock at what they had just been subjected too. Leslie destroyed Brereton and all the other Victorian forward big men in a state game that was a fair dinkum as you could ever see and he was still playing for piddly little Port Adelaide. Why the hell do you think we wanted to piss off out of SA? The Vics were stealing all our players who just walked into their sides and stared and you have the audacity to disparage our players of 3 decades ago?

Leslie would tear Gray another one every time he would have played against him, then, now and in the future.

Get your hand off it. I'm not some kid. Richard Foster did not play SANFL during an era when the SANFL could lay claim to being a competition anywhere near the equal of the VFL/AFL. You're just being ridiculous now.

robbie gray sits comfortably among the (relatively large) group of very best players we have ever had at our club in any era. would even go as far as saying the 3 and a bit year period he has put together since his injury is the best anyone has ever performed for us in a similar 3 year time frame in our afl era at least.

Get your hand off it. I'm not some kid. Richard Foster did not play SANFL during an era when the SANFL could lay claim to being a competition anywhere near the equal of the VFL/AFL. You're just being ridiculous now.
No, Richard Foster came towards the end of that golden era but it was nevertheless still before there was an SANFL side in the AFL/VFL and the competition in the SANFL was still might good.

Don't disregard how good the SA competition was and how good the players, especially in our side were. Foster came over here because he lacked a yard and luckily for him, he got to Port who had brilliant players and within the team, he was beautiful in the way he never ever made a mistake. He was not a Robbie Gray but he never made a mistake.

robbie gray sits comfortably among the (relatively large) group of very best players we have ever had at our club in any era. would even go as far as saying the 3 and a bit year period he has put together since his injury is the best anyone has ever performed for us in a similar 3 year time frame in our afl era at least.
No question that he sits in a group of the very best players but also don't forget that we've had in our AFL side, Shaun Burgoyne, Pickett, Tredrea, Wanganeen, the bloke that reminds me most of Robbie Gray, Roger James, Micheal Wilson, Brendon Lade.

Saw Tredrea miss a lot of goals he should have kicked. Shame, could have been a champion.
If Tredders had played under the "rules" of today, he would be kicking 80 goals 80 points per year consistently and Tredders was a Champion of our club but not a champion of the game. That's not to hard to comprehend is it?

So you are saying that as a footballer, Gray comes close to Gavin are you?

Look, I've had enough of this. If you and others think that Robbie should be compared to Gav or to Ebert or to Leslie, then don't ever try and give me any tips for the races.

I'm going out to find a Glenelg/Cow supporter and thrash them within an inch of their life.
Gray is as good as Gav. Life didnt end

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Tredders had played under the "rules" of today, he would be kicking 80 goals 80 points per year consistently and Tredders was a Champion of our club but not a champion of the game. That's not to hard to comprehend is it?
2 all australians at chf, beat one of the best chfs to play the game. TREDDERS WAS A CHAMPION FULL STOP

I have never seen a player play a perfect game with no mistakes and you reckon we used to have 5 or 6 players doing it every week.

Gray has a better conversion rate than Wangas in front of goal. I think nostalgia might be clouding your judgement of the 2 players. Gray is just as skilled and gets twice as many touches.

Yes, it is hard to comprehend that you don't think that Tredders was a champion of the game. So you are saying we have only had one champion in the AFL era but are happy to reel off several names that would have played in the same Magpies team as champions?

What is going on in this thread? Apart from being incredibly off topic, it's just flat out crazy pants.

An individual's memory of players in the past and present in no way proves players X was better than player Y because they played when football was "better in my day".

We are living in a time where you can analyse and critique the actions of a player time and time again from multiple different angles and multiple different ways and at multiple different speeds. There's a big screen TV (multiple at AO) at the ground that allows you to see that errors and efforts of players in real time and in breaks of play it runs replays. Throughout the week there are highlights uploaded, you can access the replay at the touch of a button and there are plenty of shows that might pick apart your teams game or the efforts of a player. There's even segments in shows to show you how shit the mistakes some players are making for the amusement of the viewers. This platform is another way of analysing and critiquing players performances.

Back in the good old days of football, you might only ever get to see the game once, from where you are standing, and that is it that's your memory of the games and the players performances (in a league that was incredibly restricted in it's talent pool). If you did get to see them on replay it was a blurry low quality broadcast with only about 2 or 3 different angles. You're more likely to forget the junk material of the failings of a player if you only see their performance once a week/fortnight.

After time if you aren't re-watching their performances regularly you start to forget the bad because your brain chooses to retain the memorable moments and dump the crap ones. And the only things that are replayed after decades are the memorable highlights not the lowlights. It's called nostalgia for a reason - your brain kicks out all of the shit you don't need or want to remember and it keeps the good stuff.

Have you ever seen a movie a long time ago - especially if you were a child - that you absolutely loved and have recently seen it again and you have realised it wasn't quite as good as you remember it? That is exactly how the argument for "everything was better back in my day" works. No it wasn't better, you just don't remember the shitty things about it anymore.

Edit: And you're more likely to forgive the faults in something you saw a long time ago because it sits in a very important and enjoyable moment of your life and you're happy to reject the notion that it wasn't as good.

Last edited:
Only element of Robbie Gray's game where I think you could say he falls short is that when I think champion, I think of a great player who plays in winning teams and has had the opportunity to perform on the biggest stage. There in also a longevity component to it.

As it stands, Robbie is as talented a player as there is and his past 3-4 years stack up against the best any PAFC has produced, considering he is performing at a national level (which yes, does make a difference).

With any luck he'll have many more years performing in winning teams to put any discussion on his credentials to rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back