Certified Legendary Thread The Medical Sub blunder - What the hell?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't put any blame on Lynch for this. This isn't a case of a player not admitting to having some hamstring tightness or a nick in the groin that the club needs to know about. The club knew damn well where Lynch was with his injury, he's on a modified program for goodness sake! If they chose to play him anyway, he's not obligated to say "excuse me, are you insane?"
Yeah Lynch isn't to blame at all for me.
He's a footy player at the highest level, if his foot was completely broken he would still try and play, that's why we have highly paid staff to take that decision out of his hands.

Yeah Lynch isn't to blame at all for me.
He's a footy player at the highest level, if his foot was completely broken he would still try and play, that's why we have highly paid staff to take that decision out of his hands.

Yes and no. He's lauded for his leadership... playing injured isn't leadership. It's selfish.

(As is having a set shot from 55m when you can only kick 40m).

As a supporter if you are that stupid to not realize how bad the mistake was by Nicks to justify the way in which they handled the medical sub, then dont ever complain about the mediocrity that is the Adelaide Football Club.

The fact that Nicks needed a press conference to justify his stupidity speaks volumes.

Last edited by a moderator:
So you’re saying it’s a horrible tactic for a grand final, but it’s fine any time you want to throw away four premiership points.

Sounds legit.
Do you know whats also a horrible tactic for a grand final? Giving a 19 year old a debut, but that worked out alright. Its almost as if games during the season and Grand Finals warrant a different approach, no?

We already had a sample of games from Lynch where his form suggested he was not fit enough to play. How do you think he found himself out of the best 22 in the first place?
Agree, based on form he should have been dropped after the North game and the hard deck at Marvel probably made his toe worst but they thought he was still our best 23rd player even with the niggling injury so we selected him as the sub. I can't recall anyone had concern he couldn't run the game out as the sub with his "treatment" before the game like what has been done for the last few weeks.

Do you know whats also a horrible tactic for a grand final? Giving a 19 year old a debut, but that worked out alright. Its almost as if games during the season and Grand Finals warrant a different approach, no?

I’ll say it once more for those up the back:

The medical sub needs to be ready to take the field at a moment’s notice, from the first bounce, to the final siren, in every game of the year starting from round 1 up to and including the grand final.

It is on Nicks and the club to figure out a system that facilitates that.

It isn’t negotiable.

As a supporter if you are that stupid to not realize how bad the mistake was by Nicks to justify the way in which they handled the medical sub, then dont ever complain about the mediocrity that is the Adelaide Football Club.

The fact that Nicks needed a press conference to justify his stupidity speaks volumes.
No, the press conference was to show his support of his players (Lynch in this instance). Like I asked you, did you question Lynch as the sub? If Lynch didn't get treatment and was in his kit before the game and ready to come on at anytime then yeah we stuffed up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ll say it once more for those up the back:

The medical sub needs to be ready to take the field at a moment’s notice, from the first bounce, to the final siren, in every game of the year starting from round 1 up to and including the grand final.

It is on Nicks and the club to figure out a system that facilitates that.

It isn’t negotiable.
Cool

Our full time coaching and football department who get direct feedback from the unplayed medical sub get different feedback and are trying to find their way to optimally use this, just like the other 17 clubs.

But then again, you posted in bold.

I'm seriously conflicted here.

Our full time coaching and football department who get direct feedback from the unplayed medical sub get different feedback and are trying to find their way to optimally use this, just like the other 17 clubs.

Yeah our footy department has a stunning track record of getting things right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And what have you proven exactly? That i don’t have any real life experience? I’ve had anaesthetics before in dental procedures and a sporting injury requiring my toenail to be taken entirely off. If the aim is to completely deaden (what you’re suggesting) then there’s no way Lynch would be able to run and kick it properly.

Maybe it's on his left foot, no impact on his kicking there, he's never used it.

No, the press conference was to show his support of his players (Lynch in this instance). Like I asked you, did you question Lynch as the sub? If Lynch didn't get treatment and was in his kit before the game and ready to come on at anytime then yeah we stuffed up.

He doesn't need to support his player because no-one with half a brain is blaming Lynch.

The club is at fault here not the player just doing as he's told.

He's 'defending' Lynch in a transparent attempt to divert the attention from himself and others running things.

It was slimy as hell and rather than actaully protecting Lynch it put him in the spotlight despite him never being potentially at fault here.

Yes and no. He's lauded for his leadership... playing injured isn't leadership. It's selfish.

(As is having a set shot from 55m when you can only kick 40m).

All players put their hands up to play all the time.

A player playing injured is a decision made by management.

He doesn't need to support his player because no-one with half a brain is blaming Lynch.

He's 'defending' Lynch in a transparent attempt to divert the attention from himself and others running things.

Notice how they never actually look inward at why public vitriol of the club often misfires and winds up wounding the underlings, rather than those running the show.

It’s just how the AFC likes it.

It was slimy as hell and rather than actaully protecting Lynch it put him in the spotlight despite him never being potentially at fault here.
Really? Some seem to be still blaming Lynch for not being ready particularly since he is a senior and leader of the playing group.

Really? Some seem to be still blaming Lynch for not being ready particularly since he is a senior and leader of the playing group.

hence the half a brain qualifier.

Lynch doesn't decide when he gets in a jab, that's on the coaches and medical staff.

Lynch doesn't decide to be the medical sub while under duress, that's the selection committee.

Go look at the coverage in the media on the issue and no-one is pointing the finger at Lynch, it's all at the club.

The root of the problem is that we wouldn't just write off Mackay's intentions to get back in the team and make him sub

That left us choosing between a kid who needs game time and an injured Lynch, neither of which we wanted to do but eventually settled on the latter.

All those gymnastics and flimsy reasoning because D Mac is King at the AFC.

Does he not realise the issue here?

If Tom was match fit why was he not even dressed yet? Time to warm up? What were they planning to do if Hamill did his injury early in the quarter, miss the rest of it while he warmed up? They surely can't be trying g to pretend their standard plan for the medical sub is to get an injury and THEN start getting your kit on, wandering down to the rooms to get strapped up, and then start warming up? They can't possibly think we're that stupid, can they?

Also, I'm sorry, if you're limping your way to a put your boots on, you're not match fit.
Also if he’s match fit it means he’s dropped, so why wasn’t he finding form in the SANFL?

hence the half a brain qualifier.

Lynch doesn't decide when he gets in a jab, that's on the coaches and medical staff.

Lynch doesn't decide to be the medical sub while under duress, that's the selection committee.

Go look at the coverage in the media on the issue and no-one is pointing the finger at Lynch, it's all at the club.
Hence the press conference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread The Medical Sub blunder - What the hell?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back