Certified Legendary Thread The Medical Sub blunder - What the hell?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't put any blame on Lynch for this. This isn't a case of a player not admitting to having some hamstring tightness or a nick in the groin that the club needs to know about. The club knew damn well where Lynch was with his injury, he's on a modified program for goodness sake! If they chose to play him anyway, he's not obligated to say "excuse me, are you insane?"
I can also see that Lynch is thinking for the team in that if he was the sub, then that gives the others more game time either in AFL/SANFL. The responsibility should lie more on the medicos/fitness staff for not thinking “what if” an injury was to occur and Lynch was needed.

I would have definitely questioned his suitability as a Sub, if knowing he needed prepping prior to the sub activation, and with an unknown unquantifiable time the jab would kick in!!!
I thought they would have prep him before the game like they did the last few weeks when he was the starting 18 and played the entire game?

The selection, the justification and the defence are all bullshit.

This has all the hallmarks of a coach that will justify more stupidity down the track.

There is nothing wrong getting things wrong, but being stubborn and justifying your bs is indefensible.

I thought they would have prep him before the game like they did the last few weeks when he was the starting 18 and played the entire game?
Ok, let’s be clear, do you know how many jabs he took yesterday? Because I kind of assumed you had some inside info.

Wow.

It took you till the next day to understand this.

Glory be.
Even cmndstab said he wasn't sure if this happened......I find it very hard to believe Lynch wasn't in his kit after getting a jab before the game started, I can understand why he was out of his kit later in the game when he clearly couldn't play but had to play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok, let’s be clear, do you know how many jabs he took yesterday? Because I kind of assumed you had some inside info.
Clearly he took one before the game started like he did in the last few weeks and Kelly stated he has been having "treatment" for the last few weeks. My guess is the medical staff were debating what they could do when he had to get on the field and why this took longer than expected and caught them out.

Oh ffs. He wasn't ready to play, didn't even have his uniform on, he needed injections because he's bloody injured, he looked gassed a few minutes after getting onto the field and had no impact on the game whatsoever. How the fu** can you argue that this "all went to plan".
But was he ready to play before the game with his kit on and the jab in full effect? Later is understandable as the jab would have wore off and he clearly couldn't play, you do know a lot of players play with niggling injuries like Lynch has done in the last few weeks with his treatments before the game.....

This has all the hallmarks of a coach that will justify more stupidity down the track.

There is nothing wrong getting things wrong, but being stubborn and justifying your bs is indefensible.
We all know Nicks is a manager coach and will stick by his players (hence why he didn't drop Fampton who was in poor form and Lynch from the starting 18 for a long time) and that's why we hired him.

They need "more data". Wtf? Are we going to run a survey asking our supporters how embarrassed they felt on a scale of 1 to 10?

Watched the whole press conference. Wanted to give Nicks the benefit of the doubt.

About two-thirds through he gets to the nub of the issue. He said that the sub feels mentally and physically drained after the match when they’re not activated. So the club’s process has been to allow the sub to watch the game as a spectator, and only start his preparation if/when he needs activating.

What Nicks is saying is that yesterday went exactly to plan, and the club is only sorry for the optics, not the tactic.

My message to Nicks is pretty simple - optics or no optics, this tactic is HORSESHIT. I hate the rule, but the fact is it exists. If yesterday was a grand final, would you flirt with the sub like that? The sub has to be ready to go. If he is mentally and physically drained at the end because he was never activated, that is the price that has to be paid.

But was he ready to play before the game with his kit on and the jab in full effect? Later is understandable as the jab would have wore off and he clearly couldn't play, you do know a lot of players play with niggling injuries like Lynch has done in the last few weeks with his treatments before the game.....
We already had a sample of games from Lynch where his form suggested he was not fit enough to play. How do you think he found himself out of the best 22 in the first place?

Watched the whole press conference. Wanted to give Nicks the benefit of the doubt.

About two-thirds through he gets to the nub of the issue. He said that the sub feels mentally and physically drained after the match when they’re not activated. So the club’s process has been to allow the sub to watch the game as a spectator, and only start his preparation if/when he needs activating.

What Nicks is saying is that yesterday went exactly to plan, and the club is only sorry for the optics, not the tactic.

My message to Nicks is pretty simple - optics or no optics, this tactic is HORSESHIT. I hate the rule, but the fact is it exists. If yesterday was a grand final, would you flirt with the sub like that? The sub has to be ready to go. If he is mentally and physically drained at the end because he was never activated, that is the price that has to be paid.
Why? There's limited rotations. When Hamill goes off injured, its not Lynch that goes on to replace, because they don't play the same role. They have 4 guys on the bench "ready to go", and Lynch 10-15 minutes to get prepped. I get the approach. Might ultimately be wrong, but its a new rule and so worth having a crack. I really don't think this is a big issue, except for optics.

Not sure if it's been mentioned but Adelaide have named injured players on the emergency list before, they have form here.

It's very clear they didn't want a Jones or a Worrell missing a game, sitting on the bench. In Worrell's case they didn't want a debut under those circumstances. I'd like to acknowledge this, in the past we would have had a young player waste a weekend, we clearly were doing anything, clearly anything to avoid that.

They really value the experience of Mackay in the SANFL, I do to. I'd love for him to play the whole year there with our younger players as they rotate in and out of the AFL team.

What is staggering is I think it all worked out as they had planned.

They got what they wanted, no young player wasting a weekend, experienced Mackay with the SANFL team, Lynch coming in and playing restricted minutes if required.

I appreciate where they were coming from, but next time just give Davo the bib.

Nicks mentions this about 3 or so times in that presser.

Why? There's limited rotations. When Hamill goes off injured, its not Lynch that goes on to replace, because they don't play the same role. They have 4 guys on the bench "ready to go", and Lynch 10-15 minutes to get prepped. I get the approach. Might ultimately be wrong, but its a new rule and so worth having a crack. I really don't think this is a big issue, except for optics.

What if it’s the last 15 minutes of a GF and scores are level? Everyone is out on their feet, you have the opportunity to bring in a fresh player, but oh sorry, he needs 15 minutes to get ready...

C’mon...

What if it’s the last 15 minutes of a GF and scores are level? Everyone is out on their feet, you have the opportunity to bring in a fresh player, but oh sorry, he needs 15 minutes to get ready...

C’mon...
It wasn’t a grand final though was it. If it was we might have had Jones or McAsey or Mackay in that role seeing as the SANFL team wouldn’t be much of an issue.

And maybe the instruction at three quarter time might have been to Tom “alright get yourself ready, just in case” but we don’t know that.

Can only judge this one game on this game, not what abouts in other circumstances and I’m happy with how Nicks has described it and it makes sense although probably needs to be reviewed each game and improved.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread The Medical Sub blunder - What the hell?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back