Society/Culture The misuse of terms in bad faith, why do we do this?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
I'll start with the obvious, woke, the term has been twisted into a definition of irrational political correctness when that's universes away from the actual meaning.

My google search just now comes up with this, doesn't sound like a pejorative does it? Yet is used as a pejorative ad nauseum
1728694138645.png

If you're using this term as a pejorative, you're discrediting yourself.

'Gay'

This google search has the original definition, yet accepts the term as a definition of homosexual, the term has been twisted into meaning homosexual, when the original meaning is basically happy, when and why was this term hijacked to define homosexuals and worse used as a pejorative?

1728694536025.png

It's become so much so that it seems using it to define homosexuals or as a slur does not discredit your position, why not? The original meaning is universes away from 'homosexual'

'Patriarch'

This one really grinds my gears, used to define an ahole, when a 'Father' is originally defined as the carer and guider. Since when does this term immediately define a person who abuses power and oppresses? Why? Why are 'fathers' painted in such a bad light? Patriarch should be used to define a good person, not an abusive pos.

1728695351624.png

'Patriotism' or 'patriot'

1728695452672.png

Since when and who decided this is a bad thing? Immediately the naive offence seekers will use this term as a pejorative trying to imply 'anti globalist!'. or 'isolationist!' when all it is, is pride in ones nation of ones birth. Since when has this become taboo? Why?

So cheering on the Tillies in a soccer match against another country is a no no now, I say no it isn't, GAGF. I will not accept that patriotism is a bad thing

I really detest these misuses of terms as pejoratives, it's infantile and petulant. I'll let Barack sum it up for me

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

I'll start with the obvious, woke, the term has been twisted into a definition of irrational political correctness when that's universes away from the actual meaning.

My google search just now comes up with this, doesn't sound like a pejorative does it? Yet is used as a pejorative ad nauseum
View attachment 2138983

If you're using this term as a pejorative, you're discrediting yourself.

'Gay'

This google search has the original definition, yet accepts the term as a definition of homosexual, the term has been twisted into meaning homosexual, when the original meaning is basically happy, when and why was this term hijacked to define homosexuals and worse used as a pejorative?

View attachment 2138986

It's become so much so that it seems using it to define homosexuals or as a slur does not discredit your position, why not? The original meaning is universes away from 'homosexual'

'Patriarch'

This one really grinds my gears, used to define an ahole, when a 'Father' is originally defined as the carer and guider. Since when does this term immediately define a person who abuses power and oppresses? Why? Why are 'fathers' painted in such a bad light? Patriarch should be used to define a good person, not an abusive pos.

View attachment 2138993

'Patriotism' or 'patriot'

View attachment 2138994

Since when and who decided this is a bad thing? Immediately the naive offence seekers will use this term as a pejorative trying to imply 'anti globalist!'. or 'isolationist!' when all it is, is pride in ones nation of ones birth. Since when has this become taboo? Why?

So cheering on the Tillies in a soccer match against another country is a no no now, I say no it isn't, GAGF. I will not accept that patriotism is a bad thing

I really detest these misuses of terms as pejoratives, it's infantile and petulant. I'll let Barack sum it up for me

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN
"Oh, why oh WHY can't words I understand to mean one thing mean only that thing to every person who has ever existed and will ever exist, without any nuance or other interpretation because I - and I alone - am right about those words and what they mean!"

Semiotics is the answer to why these words don't always adhere to your understanding of them, and why words have different meanings. Then, stack that on Foucault's discourse theory, and what you're going to get is a society whose definitions shift if and when power decides to try to shift them.

The internet has also changed things, but that remains a field of ever updating study.

Can't say I have heard patriarch used in a pejorative sense.

Conflating patriotism with isolationism/globalism is a bit fraught they are quite different things. There'd be a correlation but they are different.

Patriotism can be used pejoratively, and rightly so, when it is based around entitlement and ignorance. I think it is still a good thing if you genuinely celebrate your nation's good values, music, food, culture. Not so much if you think you are exceptionally better than others due to the birth lottery.

Gay has changed, there's no going back. It would be good to have a word to replace the old use of gay, I'm not sure we quite have one.

Yeah woke had a specific meaning, basically "aware" and now has almost no meaning, used as a placeholder by idiots who cannot articulate their thoughts(prejudices) with proper reason.

Can't say I have heard patriarch used in a pejorative sense.
Really? If you watch msm, you'd be excused for believing patriarchy is the cause of domestic violence or at minimum in part the cause.
Patriotism can be used pejoratively, and rightly so, when it is based around entitlement and ignorance.
Again, msm paints patriotism as a platform for racism, in a subtle way, rarely is a patriot or patriotism celebrated as a good thing. Which it is.

I understand, with time, definitions change and terms are adopted to define completely different things, like 'gay' for instance.

That's fine, no issue, my issue is the misuse in bad faith.

patriarchy
Semantics, but that is not the word you originally posted. Patriarch, to describe an individual man, who is perhaps head of a family or business, doesn't get used pejoratively.

Patriarchy, describing a society where power and authority resides mostly with men, is a different story. It is a word you probably can't use in the mainstream without it clearly invoking identity politics / gender wars.

rarely is a patriot or patriotism celebrated as a good thing. Which it is
Why do you think patriotism is good? (I have my own thoughts on what is good about it, but keen to hear others.)

The problem with patriotism, like all forms of identity politics, is that it sometimes disrespects the individual. The way it is often communicated by its proponents is too cult like: you can love your country but still lament it's many flaws, but the hard core patriots won't have any of that. You with us or against us? It can also feel like you are forced to be patriotic, which in my opinion is probably only close to OK when your country is facing an existential crisis such as in war.

Why do you think patriotism is good? (I have my own thoughts on what is good about it, but keen to hear others.)

The problem with patriotism, like all forms of identity politics, is that it sometimes disrespects the individual. The way it is often communicated by its proponents is too cult like: you can love your country but still lament it's many flaws, but the hard core patriots won't have any of that. You with us or against us? It can also feel like you are forced to be patriotic, which in my opinion is probably only close to OK when your country is facing an existential crisis such as in war.
Your hard nut extreme 'patriot' isn't what I'd describe as patriot, just a mouth breathing moron, certainly wouldn't think this type of person is of widespread sentiment.

The problem with patriotism, like all forms of identity politics, is that it sometimes disrespects the individual.

Agreed it enables discrimination against the individual, but that really is the intent of the person discriminating. And generally the negative is used to describes patriots / patriotism to use in bad faith.

Rarely is patriotism / patriot described in a positive light.

Why do I think patriotism is good? Because it's healthy to have pride your nation, yes it gives a sense of identity, but there's no need to purely view patriotism for its ills, how about we look at for its positives for once.

American-level patriotism on the other hand.
This is not what I would describe as patriotism, it's people a sandwich short of picnic sycophants.

Cheering when Sam Kerr puts one in the onion bag is completely different to sheep like psychos attempting to overthrow the white house all in the name of murica, if that's what you're inferring.

Remove this Banner Ad

Society/Culture The misuse of terms in bad faith, why do we do this?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back