The next group of Superstars.

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Demon37
Waite will be in the 'Level 2' group.

I rate "superstars" from what they have shown on the playing field already. It's arguable that Wells has shown more than Waite this year.

I pick players from what they have done, how effective they have been, not their draft position. Who knows, pick #2 might turn out to be a dud. Whilst I'll be happy to get the pick, I'll be content if the pick shows a lot of promise where the real stuff is - on the field in a senior team. This is why it's so hard to judge players who haven't shown as much as Pavlich, Brown, Riedwolt et al. The players who have shown the most and have been the most effective are most likely to be the next superstars. Until a few 17 year old kids show equal promise or more, then they will remain under expectation.

Waite hasn't done all that much.

In his 2nd year of AFL footy, he was averaging just over 10 possessions a game and was pretty much a full time member in the Carlton side.

Compare that to Steven Armstrong, who averaged 13 disposals a game despite spending a great deal of time on the bench. He also had a fine 2002.

ND gave him 4 full games at the end of the year, where he averaged 17 ppg.

I know I have gone a bit off topic, but if Waite is a future superstar, so is Armstrong based on their careers to date.

Originally posted by Demon37
Waite hasn't done all that much.

In his 2nd year of AFL footy, he was averaging just over 10 possessions a game and was pretty much a full time member in the Carlton side.

Compare that to Steven Armstrong, who averaged 13 disposals a game despite spending a great deal of time on the bench. He also had a fine 2002.

ND gave him 4 full games at the end of the year, where he averaged 17 ppg.

I know I have gone a bit off topic, but if Waite is a future superstar, so is Armstrong based on their careers to date.

It is actually Waite's first year of AFL footy. He played in the VFL last year. I think he would average a bit more than 10 possies a game... but it's what you do with those possessions that counts the most. Waite has done plenty of Kouta-like things at such a young age - he's fast for his size and can get the ball and dispose of it well. His character is probably is strongest asset - remember that his father died before we played you guys. He played despite the tradegy, kicked a nice 50 m goal and was one of the best on ground for us at the end of the game. That memory will be with me for a long time.

BTW, how old is Armstrong? It's his second year in senior level isn't it?

Originally posted by Thrawn
It is actually Waite's first year of AFL footy. He played in the VFL last year. I think he would average a bit more than 10 possies a game... but it's what you do with those possessions that counts the most. Waite has done plenty of Kouta-like things at such a young age - he's fast for his size and can get the ball and dispose of it well. His character is probably is strongest asset - remember that his father died before we played you guys. He played despite the tradegy, kicked a nice 50 m goal and was one of the best on ground for us at the end of the game. That memory will be with me for a long time.

He is 19, same as Waite.

There is no doubt that Waite is talented, but he has a long way to go if he is to be placed amongst the likes of Riewoldt, Brown, Judd and Coughlan.

Llane Spaanderman

it's interesting that only Geelong supporters rate Ling.

For me it's:

Judd, Riewoldt, Brown, Pavlich, Polak, Ling, Ablett, Sampi all could be superstars in a few years time.

How old is David Rodan BTW he's shown a bit.

It is actually Waite's first year of AFL footy. He played in the VFL last year. I think he would average a bit more than 10 possies a game... but it's what you do with those possessions that counts the most.

BTW, how old is Armstrong?

he averaged about 12 a game and i actually thought watching Waite that his disposal let him down a fair bit, he looks to have an alright future not sure that will be anywhere near superstar level though

Armstrong is actually a year younger than Waite, not same age as other person said

Chris Tarrant.

The kid is still only 22, has a 100 games under his belt, an All Australian guernsey and is finaly starting to show some of the potential that he has carried with him for the last couple of seasons. When marking the ball he is up there with the best in the business, both on the lead and big contested grabs. He is a capable goal kicker and as fast as any forward currently running around.

I detected a real maturity in his game this season, and have every confidence that he will continue to develop his game and become a dominant force at AFL level. Can't wait to see him on the park in 2004!

Originally posted by Anja_Nees
I've seen Power play a lot and I'd say he's got what it takes to be a very good player, but not a superstar. Were you being sarcastic tank?

Nah Anja, I wasn't being sarcastic, I was serious. I saw him play at U18 level and at the National championships where he absolutely killed it and I was hoping we were gonna draft him but at the time of the draft I did not think he was going to last to our pick. When Saints didn't get him & Melbourne got Luke Molan I was wrapped cause I knew we had a future gun on our hands.

I can see him developing into just as good a player as his brother with the added bonus of his height causing problems to many a team. At this stage, he just needs to bulk up and be confident in himself that he can play at senior level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No mention of WCE youngster Daniel Kerr?
A definite superstar in the making. I rate hime as highly as Judd, if not higher. Remember his goal agains Freo, round 22 this year? To my belief, it was goal of the year. Not a bad effort.

Originally posted by Dooky
No mention of WCE youngster Daniel Kerr?
A definite superstar in the making. I rate hime as highly as Judd, if not higher. Remember his goal agains Freo, round 22 this year? To my belief, it was goal of the year. Not a bad effort.

One of the most underrated midfielders in the competition. Forget Cousins, Kerr and Judd are WC's real trump in the midfield. Both of those two are great ball winners and have the skills to finish off the job.

Originally posted by Dave
Injury prone hack.

Laughable.

Other than this season, King has been consistently the first/second/third best ruckmen in the game.

Also, he is just coming into his prime age - 25 years.

Originally posted by lamby29
With all due respect to Kelly, I doubt he will get to superstar status.

I'm tipping him to be the level below, with Armstrong, Sampi, Bartel, Schammer etc.

Fair enough, you have to protect your club's trades ;)

I would, too.

Kelly is still physically immature but he is also capable of producing some pretty special football. As you can no doubt tell, I'm expecting big things from the kid. Next season, he will pounce, IMO.

Originally posted by Shaitan
Fair enough, you have to protect your club's trades ;)

I would, too.

Kelly is still physically immature but still capable of producing some pretty special football. As you can no doubt tell, I'm expecting big things from the kid. Next season, he will pounce, IMO.
Nah mate, I like Kelly.

You would hope that Geelong got someone good in the deal after letting a star player go, and then trade Brad Miller to us for Grgic. :)

But I reckon he will be good. Similar to someone like Yze.

Big things are expected from Armstrong next year too.

Originally posted by Munga
Geez how good will it be in 5 years time when all these kids are playing top notch footy against each other??

Err... about the same as when the stars of today are playing eachother, I would think.

Originally posted by Stevo
Forget Cousins, Kerr and Judd are WC's real trump in the midfield..

As good as Kerr and Judd are, I reckon they have a fair bit of work to do before they're in Cuzz's league. IMO Embley has also out-performed those two this year, and he ceratinly deserves more of a mention in here.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned Mcpharlin yet, but I reckon he's certainly one to watch, and will give Polak a run for his money.

I rate "superstars" from what they have shown on the playing field already. It's arguable that Wells has shown more than Waite this year.

Wells has shown more in terms of what he's capable of. To me a potential superstar shows what he can do, and Wells has shown he's capable of being an elite player, even if it has only been in glimpses. Consistency comes with experience, but Wells has shown a bit more than Waite in terms of what he's going to be capable of producing in the next few years. That said, I really really like Waite as a player, but I couldn't see him becoming a superstar. More in the mould of a Paul Licuria or a Kane Johnson (Great players but not elite).

one thing that will stand with me foirever is how ur club showed a total lack of respect and failed to win that match for both snr and jnr waite....

Remove this Banner Ad

The next group of Superstars.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back