Oppo Camp The non North football discussion thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure no one's calling for booing to be banned, freedom of expression & all that.
Just people calling out shit behaviour for what it is - shit behaviour.
Or is that only acceptable if it's me & several thousand of my mates versus one bloke on a football ground?

Pretty sure no one's calling for booing to be banned, freedom of expression & all that.
Just people calling out shit behaviour for what it is - shit behaviour.
Or is that only acceptable if it's me & several thousand of my mates versus one bloke on a football ground?
No, it really is 'booing', full-stop.

No, it really is 'booing', full-stop.
Booing in context = not shit behaviour.
Booing one bloke relentlessly for 12 months every time he touches the ball irrespective of what he has/hasn't done to your club = shit behaviour.
Tone down the drama, no one's banning booing

Booing one bloke relentlessly for 12 months every time he touches the ball irrespective of what he has/hasn't done to your club = shit behaviour.
I've been hearing it all day on 3AW. I'm definitely not deaf.

I agree the booing has gone too far.

I also believe that the crowd has a right to boo.

I also believe that a SMALL minority boo due to racially motivated beliefs but the MAJORITY of people Boo because they think he's an absolute spanner and are just expressing themselves in a way that has become main stream recently.

If there were so many racists in the crowd why don't Wells, Rioli, Thomas (who probably has given fans a reason to boo) etc get boo'd every game?

I actually find it incredibly offensive the way that the media and the AFL have labelled those who boo racists. I pride myself in being inclusive and friendly to people from all nations and the insinuation by these people that I am a racist if I choose to boo Goodes is as offensive as the boo's being targeted at Goodes.

I won't be booing Goodes because some **** sticks have decided any boo aimed his way labels you a racist, and that in itself is oppression of free expression in my view.

This all could have been avoided if Goodes had kept his teary eyes out of the media for a week or two and just pretended it didn't affect him. If the AFL and Sydney didn't come out labelling everyone racists. If it had all simply been ignored for 2 bloody weeks people would have gotten bored and stopped doing it, just like they did with Booing Jobe. Hell, if he'd thrown his bloody imaginary spear toward the center of the ground rather than at the bloody fans it would have died in the arse as well.

But no, people couldn't refrain from commenting, they had to take the racism and oppression angle and a ) give fuel to actual racists and b ) incite those who were offended by having their freedom of expression challenged and being labelled racists.

I feel for Adam, I do. But the bloke has brought a large part of it upon himself and he needs to admit to that and it might go some way to stopping people from doing what they're doing.

Yeah i hear u Toepoker but that's my point where do u draw the line!
L.T, Jobe,Selwood get booed for different reasons as many great players have been booed for different reasons.

To say everyone that Boooes Goodes from now on is rascist is insulting..
And its only going to make everyone want to boo him even more!
They can't keep using this politically correct rascism angle cause AFL supporters aren't stupid if anything they will keep doing it cause they see a weakness imo....

You're right, but it only explains the motivation of some white Australians in booing him. And it's clearly racist.

On the other hand, some just don't like Goodes the footballer and it has nothing to do with his non-football persona. The non-racist element.

Excuse the pun, but like most social issues, it's not all black and white.
The problem with this and the other arguments that say they're booing Goodes because they just don't like him is that they're are sections of the crowd that are booing him for racial reasons, and whether you like it or not you are empowering these sections of the community by booing with them. You are contributing to their sense of racial entitlement and privilege even though you're not booing for the same reason (when I say 'you' I don't necessarily mean you LTK, but the booers in general).

What I also don't understand is that surely if the people who boo are told that their booing makes them appear racist despite their claims to the contrary, they would stop. These people are so quick to say that they're not racist yet they refuse to stop doing something that gives the impression that they are what they claim not to be. If I was doing something that made me seem racist then surely I would want to stop whatever that was immediately.

This is also a reasonable article on why the arguments defending the booing just don't hold up to scrutiny:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/bl...tics-arguments-just-dont-stack-up?CMP=soc_567

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah i hear u Toepoker but that's my point where do u draw the line!
L.T, Jobe,Selwood get booed for different reasons as many great players have been booed for different reasons.

To say everyone that Boooes Goodes from now on is rascist is insulting..
And its only going to make everyone want to boo him even more!
They can't keep using this politically correct rascism angle cause AFL supporters aren't stupid if anything they will keep doing it cause they see a weakness imo....
For me Niko, the line is to never boo Adam Goodes. Even if there are non-race based reasons to boo him, the whole thing has a racial connotation now. 95% of my co-workers don't follow AFL & their take is it started after he was named AOTY (which, to be fair, it basically did). So boo everyone else in the same way you always have, for the same reasons, just don't boo Adam Goodes. No one else has the same racial baggage attached to them.

I'm still not impressed that he made an example of an 8-year old girl in public ...
Yeah same and the girl did'nt even know what she done wrong has anyone followed up on her to see how she is doing?
And this is where alot of the booing comes from imo.
Ok make a stand for aboriginal rights etc lift ur jumper up like Winmar did, throw an imaginary spear but to use a 13 year old for not much at all is where this all started i believe...

Yeah same and the girl did'nt even know what she done wrong has anyone followed up on her to see how she is doing?
And this is where alot of the booing comes from imo.
Ok make a stand for aboriginal rights etc lift ur jumper up like Winmar did, throw an imaginary spear but to use a 13 year old for not much at all is where this all started i believe...
Aborigines have a right of their own to call Australia Day 'Invasion Day' ... but as AOTY you have to wonder if Goodes therefore still had the right ...

Aborigines have a right of their own to call Australia Day 'Invasion Day' ... but as AOTY you have to wonder if Goodes therefore still had the right ...
Of course he should still have that right.

A mature nation should not be afraid to allow dissent even amongst its most celebrated.

So I should have my right to express my displeasure taken away despite having absolutely no politically incorrect intentions?

Anyone who tells me that can go drown in a river.

What if your freedom to express your displeasure is hurtful to Adam?

What if it is also hurtful to,say, Wellsy?

I don't boo Goodes myself but I can see why people boo the bloke.

Can anybody recall what the crowd reaction was to Nicky Winmar the weeks after the lifting of the jumper incident at Vic Park, I can't actually recall any supporter backlash.

He was regarded as a bit of a hero, wasn't he?

These days people might say that we (white people/our mob) liked him because he knew his place and was making a silent, symbolic protest rather than being in our faces and making us all feel uncomfortable.

I don't think I felt uncomfortable until I saw that war dance, sorry tribal celebration.

He was regarded as a bit of a hero, wasn't he?

I honestly can't recall and I'm only interested because Winmar was a much loved player prior to the incident.

Where as Goodes was the opposite, he was disliked well before any incident or Australian of the Year award.

Either way it doesn't mean anything or excuse some people's behaviour, I'm just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back