VFL The North VFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I just don’t know what to think?

We needed to land someone with credentials, but I never thought it would be this much of a shambles.

The biggest draw of Clarko was that we all thought he would bring some kind of standards to this group.

All we see now is the opposite.

Has he lost that hunger and edge?
Because coaching is about having the right players at the right time. Pagan and the list at 1990s North was right. Pagan at Carlton wasn't good.

Clarkson won the lottery with Buddy, Roughy, Hodge, some fortunate dealings with Freo over Croad etc. We haven't got anything right with recruiting or drafting, so it doesn't matter who the coach is at the moment- we're going to fail until we can fix up the off field.

I shake my head thinking we had two number 1 picks (JHF and the one we traded away) and then had one hand on another #1 pick in Harley Reid last year. And what do we have to show for it - zero #1 picks at the club. That sums up our terrible trading. We also had the #1 PSD as leverage to stop players like JHF walking out (whilst still contracted!) by threatening to redraft them, yet still got the worse end of the trade. And CCJ we could have had for free in the PSD but let's give away a 2nd round pick.

We need to be ruthless and aggressive in trading/drafting but we're as timid in that department as we are onfield.

Because coaching is about having the right players at the right time. Pagan and the list at 1990s North was right. Pagan at Carlton wasn't good.

Clarkson won the lottery with Buddy, Roughy, Hodge, some fortunate dealings with Freo over Croad etc. We haven't got anything right with recruiting or drafting, so it doesn't matter who the coach is at the moment- we're going to fail until we can fix up the off field.

I shake my head thinking we had two number 1 picks (JHF and the one we traded away) and then had one hand on another #1 pick in Harley Reid last year. And what do we have to show for it - zero #1 picks at the club. That sums up our terrible trading. We also had the #1 PSD as leverage to stop players like JHF walking out (whilst still contracted!) by threatening to redraft them, yet still got the worse end of the trade. And CCJ we could have had for free in the PSD but let's give away a 2nd round pick.

We need to be ruthless and aggressive in trading/drafting but we're as timid in that department as we are onfield.
In an alternate world our starting midfield yesterday could have been rotating though LDU, JHF, Newcombe & Harley Reid. How's them apples.....

I was told our WA talent scout warned against drafting RHJ.
Also my mates son played with him and said he was worst player he played with or against to get drafted.
Sigh
I posted a similar story when we drafted Jacob Edwards number 1 pick in our mid season draft.
Edwards played with my best mates son @ Mentone Grammar & best way to describe Edwards was that he was just tall but very very meh!
My mate had no idea wtf all the hype was about Edwards “he’s crap” he told me ..
months later one Jacob Edwards was at Arden st 💩 it up …
Now playing with southern football league Cheltenham.
Wash rinse repeat North 👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which is a massive worry when you have a 4 time premiership coach heading up that program.

We can’t even execute the basic skills and non negotiables such as work rate.

People have got to stop with this 4 time premiership coach stuff. Kevin Sheedy is too, should we get him down next?

It’s irrelevant and another era as to how footy is played now.

Some guys are good players at the table with a strong hand. Clarko was great with a very talented and ruthless bunch who the core parts were largely put together before he arrived.

Our talent is no where near theirs. It’s attitude as well.

I would go as far to say that only Sheezel, Comben, Wardlaw and maybe Xerri or Archer have that hate to lose mindset.

People have got to stop with this 4 time premiership coach stuff. Kevin Sheedy is too, should we get him down next?

It’s irrelevant and another era as to how footy is played now.

Some guys are good players at the table with a strong hand. Clarko was great with a very talented and ruthless bunch who the core parts were largely put together before he arrived.

Our talent is no where near theirs. It’s attitude as well.

I would go as far to say that only Sheezel, Comben, Wardlaw and maybe Xerri or Archer have that hate to lose mindset.
On your last point, had this exact conversation with relatives over the last few weeks.

Simply put, there are not enough blokes who hate losing more than they like winning.

Complete lack of competitors.

In an alternate world our starting midfield yesterday could have been rotating though LDU, JHF, Newcombe & Harley Reid. How's them apples.....
Exactly. We should have ended up with two or three of them. All we can now do is stay the course, and hope we keep LDU and add in another young star, and wait for 50+ games for Sheezel et al.

At least I'm certain Sheezel and Wardlaw are going to make it. Will Philips I think it's too late. McKercher looks OK, but still too early to tell. Duursma playing in a position that is very difficult in a poor team. We need more "hits" than misses or it's going to take about 5 more years.

The club bought an ideal rather than what was actually in front of them.

A star coach who’s best work was close to a decade ago.
Yeah I distinctly remember you warning us about hiring Clarko and reminding us all he was washed up when we got him.

It’s clear you think that everything we ever do is wrong, everything we’ve ever done is wrong and everything we ever will do is wrong. For the sake of your own mental health maybe try offering a solution rather than relentless mind-numbing negativity.

Statements like the above are framed as fact but really are pure conjuncture. If we were as utterly incompetent as you suggest - with every post, in every thread - then we would be bankrupt and on the verge of folding. Please man go outside for a bit, you’re like the big footy terminator whose mission is to post at least 50 negative posts a day.

Not saying things are rosy but I’m not sure this utter onslaught of bleakness achieves anything except depression tbh.

Yeah I distinctly remember you warning us about hiring Clarko and reminding us all he was washed up when we got him.

It’s clear you think that everything we ever do is wrong, everything we’ve ever done is wrong and everything we ever will do is wrong. For the sake of your own mental health maybe try offering a solution rather than relentless mind-numbing negativity.

Statements like the above are framed as fact but really are pure conjuncture. If we were as utterly incompetent as you suggest - with every post, in every thread - then we would be bankrupt and on the verge of folding. Please man go outside for a bit, you’re like the big footy terminator whose mission is to post at least 50 negative posts a day.

Not saying things are rosy but I’m not sure this utter onslaught of bleakness achieves anything except depression tbh.
Appreciate your concern, but I’m all good thanks.

I’m not framing anything as fact. The club clearly thought he was the man to turn the joint around, but the club can’t be trusted to make a decision.

Not everything we do is wrong, but overall since 2019/2020 the club has, through a multitude of poor decisions, turned into the biggest laughing stock of the AFL era. And to get here, you have to **** up consistently in all areas.

We are currently looking at a winless season, which is nothing short of incredible in a league that has a myriad of mechanisms designed to level the playing field to enable clubs to climb off the bottom (I’m aware not all clubs are equal).

All we get is the usual rhetoric of ‘we know where we’re at’. I’m glad they know what everyone else can see, which is us being stone motherless last and completely devoid of any semblance of system. If anyone expected it to be this poor, then they’re lying.

How about setting some expectations rather than an open ended ‘we’ll get there?’

But hey, everything will be fine because the coach was an icon 10 years ago.

It is tough to be positive atm. Actually if you try and be positive from a NMFC pov. You look like a nut.

I tried to watch some VFL today and it wasn’t pretty. Not one player looked the goods. I remember the days there’d be a young Hansen, or Daw or Motlop leading the charge. And you’d be left thinking ok, we got something to work with.

Cupboard is bare. Yes we have Simpkin, McKercher, Logue, Bergman, Goater and CCJ. CCJ from a VFL perspective is ok. We can’t cover 5/6 injuries especially long term ones.

It’s a disaster but it doesn’t mean we are done. Just got to keep chipping away, somehow.

tried to watch today, but was too depressed.

RHJ. Christ almighty. His numbers in the WAFL were a joke, so no shock he can't get a kick in the VFL. Shambolic.
Sellers is stuffed. Mess.
Phillips is just drowning at VFL level. Cannot create space to kick it. Looks small and slow. Sad.
Goad is a kid and a ruck, I get it. But ....
Hardeman should be ok.

It was a hard watch. Just take a few Werribee blokes. It baffles me you could watch that and not have a crack at a few of the Werribee blokes that just belted our listed players today. Absolutely belted them.

When I was watching Collingwood the other night I thought we could learn something from them about drafting mature age players from minor leagues. They have been hit with injuries but mature age recruits Sullivan, Dean, Richards and Noble were all able to step in and play important roles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back